MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Low cost root veggies...

I saw a cooking segment that our local news does at noon yesterday. He said he was taking advantage of the over abundance and low cost of root vegetables right now... 

I haven’t been to a regular grocery in well over a month. But thought I’d give a heads up to check it out when you do go. Might be a good time to do some canning/freezing. 😉

• Thanks 4

I’m not sure what the general price is but DD just picked up some amazingly priced turnips, rutabagas, parsnips, and sweet potatoes at Krogers. (Also cabbage, cauliflower, and bok choy were very reasonable.)  I store sweet potatoes in a cool room but store the others in a refrigerator and they keep for weeks, no processing needed.  I also keep kohlrabi and carrots that way but they weren’t on sale.  For about $40 dollars I got enough root veggies to last the two of us two months or more.   You got to love a DD who knows what we eat and finds the bargains for us.  :happy0203:

• Like 5

I haven't checked on that. But right now, if I do get any, I would have to can it. And I really need to finish up on the house first so I can take a week or more to do nothing but can and dehydrate. Once and done as they say.

You so rarely find canned rutabagas.  Margaret Holmes brand makes them and you can find them at Amazon but they are $5 a can and are a bit mushy for my taste.  I have never canned them myself because I have difficulties growing them though turnips grow beautifully.  Most of what we find here in the stores are waxed but the ones I just got were not.  I’m not sure how long they will keep but I got eight of them and plan to cook some for the freezer.  At $.99 a pound I would have bought more but DD bought all they had. 

We love them cooked and mashed with turnips and butter.  The orange and white looks so bright and the taste is quite different than either alone. 

• Like 3

Hmmm....  DH will be going into town soon...  He can check prices here.  I would love to get some varied root crops.  Potatoes are already on his list...and not yellow.  Not knowing they turn green/vile/toxic.  No place to keep them cool/dark ....without forgetting I have them.  :buttercup:   So red or brown.  And we get carrots.  Dog loves them but she'll eat anything but lettuce and celery (which might be too stringy for her gulps anyway).  But those other roots are making my mouth water. 

Maybe we'll try raised beds inside the chain link enclosure.  We'd still fight squirrels, birds (Stellar Jays are robbers!!!  They stole my mullein I had drying on the porch.  ALL of it!  Hmmph! )  We had good luck with turnips, beets, kohlrabi....   Not quite a long enough season for rutabaga, rutabagas, parsnips, and sweet potatoes.  :(  I'd love to grow those.  Also, there is not full day sun there.  Eastern ridge is too high behind us until it gets above that each morning.  Then the setting sun is blocked by the other ridge.  :sigh:  Then there is fierce hail some summers....but close to the house, I could run out and cover with plastic sheeting.  

MtRider  ....hmmmm.....  mebbe? 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually so something at WM today that I have not seen before. It was frozen root vegetables, beets, sweet potatoes, parsnips and carrots. It was $2.68 so I grabbed a bag. I plan on doing an apple pork dish this next week and thought that would be good with it. 

Crockpot Apple Pork

1 can of apple pie filling

thick cut pork chops ( I will actually be using a tiny pork loin)

box of stuffing mix ( I use the cornbread stuffing - the is the only recipe that I ever use stuffing with, my family does not like "stuffing and refuses to eat it)

Spray crockpot with non stick spray, pour can of pie filling in bottom of crockpot, top with pork chops and then pour stuffing on top of pork chops. I usually put about 4tbsp of butter on top of the stuffing.

I am going to put the root veggies on top of the pork chops then top with the stuffing mix.

• Like 3

We have tried the frozen root vegetables that are meant to be roasted.  Pic Sweet brand I believe???  Some have parsnips in the mix, some beets but mostly they are sweet potato, winter squash, regular potatoes, and carrots.  They are pricey unless on sale but we like them and they are easy to dump on a sheet pan and roast with a little olive oil.  I routinely freeze root veggies though. I partially cook or steam them before hand as that makes them faster to prepare. I freeze winter squash, sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabagas, beets, parsnips, and etc.  I don’t think they freeze as long as other veggies but they are a quick addition to a meal without the work at that time.   I usually prep extra fresh roots when I do cook them and put them in the freezer but I have been known to take a couple hours and do a bigger freeze session.  I’ve even started to cut them in smaller sizes and make up my own sheet pan veggies for the freezer.  Much cheaper. 

That said, root veggies keep months in the refrigerator and I prefer them over the frozen ones.  Plus, if we lose electricity they will still keep a long time unlike the frozen ones.  

• Like 4

I will have to check out Walmart though I hate going to that store. But some fresh root veggies would be great. I don't have a lot of them but then I am the only one that eats them so don't stock to many at a time. 

14 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I've never seen those root veggies frozen either. Trying to fill up the shelves. :whistling:

Maybe for roasted vegetables that is so popular these days. 

Let us know how it turns out. Sounds good!  :feedme:

If they pass the hubby test I am going to get a few bags and have a friend freeze dry them for me. If they are not huge chunks I may dehydrate some too.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Littlesister said:

I will have to check out Walmart though I hate going to that store. But some fresh root veggies would be great. I don't have a lot of them but then I am the only one that eats them so don't stock to many at a time. 

I hate WM too but we only have 3 options for groceries in my area unless I want to travel 1 hour to buy groceries and WM is the cheapest of the 3. 

• Like 1