MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hello

Ambergris

I found this forum yesterday, and felt like I'd come home after wandering in the desert way too long.

The husband and I keep a few chickens and I hope after this summer I'll be able to say we still keep bees (last summer we found out about the small hive beetle). We also have a variety of fruit shoe-horned into what used to be a suburban lot. Since the county has now dug a drainage project next door and across the street, we've been guerilla seeding the water with catfish and the dirt with nectar plants. I have one son in high school and one in the Marines. I like reading and writing.

My food concerns include my intolerance (not actually allergy) to soy, peanuts, cashews, and MSG (often disguised as "natural flavor" or "hydrolized vegetable protein"). Just try to find commercial food with none of the above in it!

Hello!!!

I had 100 hives until we got invaded by African Bees! I just didn't have the time to deal with them these last couple of years with the expense of completely queening as well as beeing each hive. I keep a couple of hives now.

Whoah! I have 2 sons in the Army, one is still deployed the other targeted to go this year.

Guerilla seeding the water with catfish!!! ROFL!!! too cute... but what is nectar plants?

Allergies to foods? well... come on down to out canning .. I mean preserving the Harvest forum! we will have you canning in no time!

Welcome!

Westbrook

Thanks!

We're planting nectar plants to keep the bees happy at home until the hive builds up and we get good enough at handling them that they won't decide to pack their little kit bags and run away from home!

We've scattered bee balm, lemon balm, catnip, allyssum, clover, and "butterfly mix." Tucked in some cuttings of peppermint, spearmint, orange mint, pennyroyal, and maypop too.

Also.. try rosemary! rosemary blooms fall through spring (depending on the type) and helps with the mites..mites don't like the smell.

I have rosemary, pineapple sage, citrus, blueberries and a chaste tree in my own yard. I'm looking for a good place to put some Jerusalem artichokes.

Welcome to MrsSurvival! I think you will enjoy it here as much as I do.

I love the way a lot of the threads here evolve into many new ways around old problems! Sometimes, threads get a little off track, but keep reading, because sometimes the juciest fruit is buried where you least expect it!

Mais cher! Don't miss out! apple.gif

Welcome to one of the most progressive "all-purpose" preparedness/survivalist sites on the Internet. dance013.gif Be sure to check out the for-members-only sections downstairs!

--Sharon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived