MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Good morning!  I made 17 banana breads  this morning.  10 personal size and 7 loaf size.  That was one batch.  That's all today as I don't have the freezer room to store more.  We got 4" of snow last night and this morning!  That's a lot for southwest Mississippi!  Took plenty of photos for the calendar next year!  The little dogs can hardly see over the top of the snow and their little bellies are dragging in it!  DH went and got more hay for the goats.  No more snow but it will ice up tonight at 25 degrees.  

Mississippi gets SNOW?  4"??  That seems so incongruous!  :scratchhead:   I'll bet you love the aspect that it will melt shortly.  You got more than we did last nite - a mere 1".  Unlike you, we're not assured that it will melt soon but this time, the forecast is for warming.  It's 40 degrees today.  Pretty warm for December at 9,000' feet!  :amen:  I'll have to tip  the snow/melt water off the roof of the Circus Tent later. 

I've had a wild morning...running the cat into bathroom when she made that gargle {I'm gonna barf} sound.  Only room in the house that isn't carpeted.  I already spent quality time cleaning up the ends of my long hair, the front of my shirt AND a lot on the floor.  One of our eggs [a cracked one I was checking] was so watery that it sort of exploded all over everywhere.  :sigh:  At least it wasn't yet sulfurous.  Apparently the eggs we stored in the waterglass solution got so cold as to freeze.  THAT'S never happened before....tho our basement gets very cold.  But an egg that's been frozen/thawed will have a thin line crack  length-wise.  Rats!  We're running out of eggs this year before they begin laying again....and now finding so many with cracks.  No good then...thrown out.  I was pushing on this one, to see if there was a crack....there was.  Blooooey!  Awwww sheeeeeesh!  

MtRider  :sassing: 

• Sad 1

Rotten eggs!  :groooansmileyf:  

We've got friends arriving from Canada and Indiana tomorrow. Both of them are expecting snow for their journeys.    :yar:  I sure hope we don't end up with a lot of food for just the two of us this weekend.    :0327:    I'm trying to hurry today and put up some Christmas decorations. Two of our guests will be little boys.   :happy0203:  I find it difficult decorating my mom's place and then have the energy to do our place. This caregiving is a LOT OF WORK so far away from her.     :imoksmiley:

I'm finishing up pulling crops out of the covered garden. It's been nice to garden longer this year. If this is part of global warming, I like it.  :hapydancsmil: I'll see how long the buried potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes will last under several feet of leaves.  :woohoo:

• Like 1

Snow missed us...we got more COLD drizzle.  Bought new washer & dryer for new place.  We are HOPING for mid week as it will take time got the site to dry.  Mary has new chainsaw, we are trimming trees, cutting out those too close to each other, crossed limbs, etc.  Extra site prep....

• Like 1

Went to look at an acre and a half this morning.  About ten square feet of it is not swampland.  I don't see how anyone would get a permit to build on this.  Sigh.  Back to the map.

• Sad 2

Had Mary shave my head today.  It looks much neater that way.  then after breakfast we went out and cut down some trees on our lot.  We are getting pretty discouraged; it has been one thing after another with this move, and we were supposed to have a house on site a month ago!  This time the rain made things too soft and slippery to move in something as heavy as a mobile home.  So we consoled ourselves by cutting down leaning trees, dead trees, and too-close-to-each other trees.  There is a certain satisfaction in cutting down trees when you feel like you are spinning your wheels and getting nowhere.  I stacked logs, toted branches, and helped lift & prop up the working area when extra clearance was needed for the chain saw.  Mary is the chain saw handler.  I also had my weapon at hand in case of snakes.  The good news is that today it did NOT rain.  Our forcast is for more than a week of dry weather,  so the mobile home setting is tentatively scheduled for Tues or Wed.  I'll be at the Dr (and maybe chemo ) on Tues, so I might have to miss the excitement.  We will have to pay for another week of the RV park and more propane (it is not so warm we can do without heat).    I was amazed - Atlanta got 10 inches of snow - quite respectable as blizzards go, except they are not used to such things.  Many folks without power, even now 24 hours later.  Good weather to make a pot of chili on the grill, and play Monopoly by candlelight.

WIN_20171209_15_59_18_Pro.thumb.jpg.7220ab87a88e4dc3e7efb5c0eb0408d1.jpg

Dodger showing his support pre-head-shaving.....

WIN_20171210_09_54_49_Pro.thumb.jpg.661f705acf482a74d7372d3fd5f71524.jpg

I don't quite look like Uncle Fester......but it sure is different.  One of the cats has volunteered to sleep atop my head on the pillow to keep my noggin warm.....Nice Kitty.....

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 6

Sorry about all your delays, Kappy!  I wish you dry weather and reliable workers!

I photographed a 50th wedding anniversary party for a couple yesterday after Church.  It was fun and the first time I have done more than landscapes or animals in several years.  I'm going to the eye doc today for exam for glasses.  Can hardly wait!

my Aunt sent me a photo she painted of Lucy so I said I would be happy to pay for it.  She sent it Fed Ex and said it cost 37.80.  I about had a heart attack!  Sending her the money today and a lesson learned.  Get the particulars ahead of time!

Hang in there Kappydell, hopefully things will smooth out for you. 

Our landscaping friend came over Friday and said he would rotter till the front yard and plant winter rye. I’ve wanted that done for over 30 years. He started by cutting the hanging branches off the 2 juniper trees that shade most of our house. They extended 10 foot over the yard. DH & I moved the branches and piled them up out of the way. 

Then, we began to remove the cement barrier someone had poured around the hedge. Oh smack!  It looked like they dug a trench and just poured the cement in. He had to use a sledgehammer to break the huge pieces up enough to be able to move them. I want to plant rose bushes in that area. 

Saturday, we worked getting the rest of the cement out and finished cutting back the junipers. He tilled it and we helped smooth the yard, then, to my surprise, he put in a simple above ground sprinkler system. I still have to hand water a couple of places, but that’s just fine by me.  Our neighbors have commented it looks much better. I am hoping the junipers still shade the house in the summer. 

I took a little time off from the yard work and made puppy biscuits treats for the dogs. The seem to like them. DH named them, “rabies bites” because they both froth at the mouth when they eat them. :grinning-smiley-044:

The wind was atrocious yesterday. Our neighbor might have a nice rock yard with pretty green rye grass in the next few weeks. Ha!  I hope most of the seeds stayed in our yard. 

Time to get back at it.  I hope everyone has a wonderful day. 

2B8A01C9-E4D1-4CC7-B20B-20882B71ACCE.jpeg

Wow Kappy.  One thing after another is right!  But dry weather should fix this problem.  :lol: about your kitty comforter.  Are you wondering how your hair will come back in after chemo is a thing of the past?  I've heard it can come in really soft. 

Ugh...what a job to remove that cement, Annarchy!  Rye grass germinates quickly so hope it didn't blow away. 

Miki...I assume your 4" of snow is gone by now?  What a weird weather front that was....blizzard in Atlanta  [and still some out of power....they've got to be freezeing] :frozen: 

We're still having subzero at night but decent 30's...40's during the sunny days.  I'll take it!!  Better than full-on WINTER!

MtRider  .....not a great day for energy  .....and the cat puked on my bed again.  :groooansmileyf:

Not quite Aunt Fester either.

Looked at a house, on the best piece of ground yet.  Had stopped watching the realty sites for a couple of days, depressed with what I was seeing, and might miss out on this wonderful opportunity because of it. Cross your fingers.  Just sent an offer.

• Like 2

:bounce:  ooooooooh....hope THIS is the one, Ambergris!  No HOAs?  :pray:

I just had to say......I saw 60 degrees on our thermometer today.  In the sun, of course.  Had screen door today for a short time.  Now....heading for zero again.  Can you believe a 60 degree spread from day high to night low?  Whew!

MtRider  :rolleyes:  

• Confused 1

Here's hoping this is the one Amber!  I know it's disappointing when we don't get the one we really want but that just means something better is there for us.

I know not to jump at the first one I like but sometimes I have a problem second guessing myself and waiting too long. I still pine for the one that got away from me this spring. I think there is something wrong with it though. It's been through 2 different buyers since this spring and both fell through. I don't know which end fell through (buyer or seller). It's been in "contingency" for over 2 months now. And there has been 2 price drops since I've been watching it. Something isn't right. But I still watch it online. Except for not having a basement, it seemed perfect for me.

I don't know if I'd have the resolve to pass it by again if it comes up for sale again.  I hope this buyer gets it so I'll quit thinking about it. I check the online sites for houses about every other day. Not much out there this time of year but I'm sure that will change starting around March or April.

• Like 1

We looked for 1-1/2 years before finding what we wanted. It didn't come through the Internet. Our real estate friend at our church called and gave us a tip. We had to be there the next day (two states away) and do the tour. The following day we needed to give an offer before the place hit the Internet. Pressure to the max.   :groooansmileyf:  We lowered the offer and allowed the owner to stay up to three extra months after closing. They were older with health issues and had built this house. They took the bait and we were given three months to figure out how to sell the house we were living in and start throwing everything over the ship side so we could move ourselves back to Wisconsin.  It all worked out even though we have more of a fixer-upper than we thought. Sometimes owner-built homes aren't constructed very well. Thankfully, hubby is great at plumbing and wiring, and I enjoy fishing in the pond.

Long story short ..... don't buy something that you will regret later. Patience is everything. Good things are worth the wait. Pray and let God lead. Many times He has something better down the road. Our tests come in many shapes.

We're glad we purchased the homestead, and have the skills and resources to bring it up to our own standards. We do run out of energy, though, at our age.  :hapydancsmil:

• Like 4

It's mine.  7.83 acres of prime red clay on a slight slope with a pole barn, a six-circuit-breaker shop/summer kitchen, a lot of oak trees, and a double-wide with a screened back porch.

• Like 4

:balloons:  :band:  :band2:  :balloons: 

That really does sound great, Ambergris.  Do we get to see pics.....[ok if not-- for OpSec]  Is it in the location you wanted? Any fruit trees or other mature stuff already there?

:bounce:  I get all excited seeing y'all getting near new places! 

MtRider  .....When do you get to move?  :happy0203:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

WAY TO GO, AMBERGRIS!!!    Nice acreage, and the place sounds verrrrrry nice!  And room for critters!

Our house goes on the lot tomorrow, so today we ran around and got electric & water service set up, for a nominal deposit at each place, of course.  Then we get a call from the water dept, who reported that (LOL) they turned on the water and 'there is a leak' .  Well duh, we told them there was no residence there!  No plumbing.  Of COURSE it leaks.  Realtor said its part of the delivery to hook all that stuff up, and make sure it does not 'leak'.  

Doctors' visit went OK, too....my port got flushed, and chemo will begin again on Thursday, taking 'only' 3 to 4 hours.  Now I have to find a primary physician in my area so I can get a mammogram and such.  Apparently now I get the privilege of squishing my girls annually.  How thrilling.

Then to put the frosting on the cake, a friend of ours called in desperation asking for a loan.  His wife has 3rd stage (and aggressive) cancer and may well die before Christmas, and he is facing forclosure on property (they have no insurance, and have been paying cash for cancer treatments).  He got a loan from us - we had the money and we do not abandon our friends in desparate situations.  He will probably pay us back, but even if he does not, we can afford (at least right now) to perform this act of mercy.  He helped us when we needed it, so now we return the favor.  I am still amazed (albeit horrified as well) at how quickly some families turns their back when things get tough, but are right at hand when there is something in it for them.  Our friend says that his wife's adult children (from a former marriage) are already discussing who will get what from Mom's things, but won't come see her while she yet lives.  How tragic.

• Sad 1

You and Mary are such good friends. It's sad how some people act. Family will do it to you before friends. Some kids act like vultures. Shame on them.

When my mammogram rolls around I say the girls are getting their picture taken. I don't want them to hear the 'squished' word.

I'm glad you have doctors already lined up where you are. I wondered how that was going to work. I'll bet getting into your new home can't come soon enough!

On 12/8/2017 at 12:28 PM, Mt_Rider said:

I've had a wild morning...running the cat into bathroom when she made that gargle {I'm gonna barf} sound.  Only room in the house that isn't carpeted.  I already spent quality time cleaning up the ends of my long hair, the front of my shirt AND a lot on the floor. 

MtRider  :sassing: 

they-should-make-an-a-alarm-clock-that-sounds-like-3473553.png

• Haha 4

:24:   Oh Midnight!  I was laughing so hard at that one!  :008Laughing:      .....I  just got home from the "procedure"  this morning.  I'm tired and chilled and TIRED!  And I'm stepping in two liquid spots of cat-something.  So instead of getting into my warm, sit-in-bed clothes.....I'm cleaning that up and laying out old toweling to cover it.  It just never ends.  Cat also "gargles" over her water dish....reason unknown.....causing many false alarms...  :runcirclsmiley2:  Sheeeesh!  Old cats! 

Had to send that one to DH since he was wondering why I was cackling my head off in here.  :laughkick:

Wow, Kappy.  Y'all are BUSY!  Hope that house is hooked up soooooon........  {with no real water leaks}  :cheer:

So after my "procedure" DH said since I haven't been any where but to his Dr. visits or my own in over a month, we'd go eat lunch at the diner.  I walked in the door and met my mom ready to go out.  We're both startled and said, "What are you doing here?" 

Y'see, I hadn't told my folks about the newest potential medical issue for me.....yet.  I'd planned to tell them when I had some results....which I don't have yet.  :busted:  Ah well, I murmured the news into her ear and we all sat down together.  They'd just eaten there yesterday so I'd no thot of meeting them there today.  In fact, I had no idea about eating there today until DH suggested it.  Surprise!

We had a nice visit tho so I'm glad we could. :amen: They went off to Walmart afterwards and we went home.  I call every night but it gets hard to have energy to go see them...only half hour away but  LIFE 808 is getting crazy!  :sassing:      For most people, I think, right?

DH doesn't work so I'm not feeding tonite!  We're eating leftovers!  And we brought home slices of pie!  :yum3:

MtRider  .....don't know if I'm coming or going  :twister3: 

• Like 2