MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

5 hours ago, Annarchy said:

WE2, dehydrated zucchini? Zuddles?  How do you use them?

I'm saying "zoodles"   :lol:    WE2....you've got me thinking I might just have to get one of those gadgets.  I've been seeing them and wondering.  But the idea for dehydrating... :thumbs:    And they would be so great for spaghetti, etc.  Re-hydrate them in the sauce?  In soup?   :yum3:

Annarchy.....yeah, keep an eye on things if you've had contact with rodents...or their leavings.  :unsure:  :pray:    Rotten Rodents ...not enough that they're foul and chew up everything.  They also spread lotta disease!  Hmph!

Straight line wind is bad.... We have 'micro-burst' here.  Do other areas have those???  Like a severe, sudden DOWN DRAFT that is high m.p.h.  and very damaging.  Threw neighbor's horse shed and busted it up ALLLLLL over our pasture one time.  Micro burst also spread out the wildfire SMOKE and scared folks half to death with it's sudden arrival.  WHHHOOOOOSSSHHHH!   Sent many to ER with asthma too.  Tornado tho.....whole 'nother story with those twists.

Can see why those fence panels are driving you crazy, Jeepers!  But if I had a nasty neighbor, I sure would not want to look at him....nor him at me!

Good luck untangling such things as insurance, Miki.  :sassing:

Thanks for the prayers for tomorow, y'all.  Praying for you too, Kappy!!!

MtRider  .....and it snows here tonite?  It was supposed to be early today and be gone by tonite....tomorrow morning....  :buttercup:  :pray:

We put that fence up the first year we were here because we had a dog. Later it turned out great because of the nasties next door. I didn't have to see them or them me. It doesn't enclose the entire property, just the back corners of the house and out about 50 yards. I'll miss the privacy. It didn't help that they chose to build next to the property line. These are actually pretty big lots. About an acre but it's a 'long' acre. Most of it is woods. It's pretty but sort of useless, except for privacy back there.

THANKS FOR PRAYER for today.  :amen:

It was......INCREDIBLY MORE than I expected.   :o  I'm going to type out stuff over in the cancer thread.  But I'd like to say something here...loud and clear:

EVEN IF IT'S THE "SAFE....NON-DEADLY" BASAL CELL CANCER  ....MOVE ON IT QUICKLY!!!!!!!  DON'T DALLY AROUND FOR A YEAR AND A HALF LIKE I DID!!! 

Now  I have a deep hole to heal....and the plastic surgeon had a lot to do to cover it today.  :0327: The experience was very, very harsh.....tho everyone at the whole place was extremely helpful, NICE, compassionate, COMPETENT!  But even without the MS factor  [and it WAS a huge factor]....it was something that didn't need to be that bad if I'd gone earlier when I suspected it might be something.    :busted: 

MtRider .....passing on the word about prompt action.  Even with the non-deadly type of cancer cells.  :(

• Sad 1

Wow!  Glad you are through it ok!  Will continue to pray for your recovery!

Yesterday, Gene found a language/speech device in the back of his jeep.  Had no idea where it came from or when it got there.  Googled the name and it said it was a 6 or 7,000 dollar device.  Gene remembered we gave a couple of folks a ride about a year and a half ago and the kid was in a wheelchair and did not talk.  Their van broke down in the summer on their way to a family reunion.  Apparently, when the fellows helping us get their van off the road, put his chair in the back, this device fell out.  Sadly, this speaks to dh's not cleaning his car out for a year and a half.  We left it with our pastor this morning (young,techy guy).  He accessed it enough to get a number of the manufacturer who is sending a shipping box to send it to the company.  Couldn't get info to give it back to the folks because of HIPPA laws.  I'm glad to return it but sorry it took so long to find it.  DH said he had noticed the bag before but thought it was his GHB that I keep in his jeep.

Today, I have dog food in the crockpot (2 of them) to pressure can.  And made myself Shrimp and Cheese Grits!  Also made Pico de Gallo fresh and sausage and scrambled eggs for breakfast burritos.  The last thing to make today is inside out baked caramel apples.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that today, Mt. Rider. But, I'm glad you will be okay. Take your time recovering. I know...easier said than done when life happens. Big hugs and prayers coming your way.

Two good reminders in this thread; take notice of our health and clean out our vehicles more often. 

I had physical therapy today and did great. When I started I was on the easiest stretch bands and now I'm on the medium ones. He gave me one to bring home. My neck range of motion has gotten better too. And I started out on level 3 on the exercise machine for 10 minutes and today I was on level 4 for 15 minutes. There are 10 levels. So I am seeing improvement.

I got my lawn mowed for the last time this year. Even if it were to need it again I'm not doing it. We might get snow flurries tonight. When I parked the mower the gauge was on empty. Woo-Hoo. Now I can fill it up with gas/Sta-bil mix for the winter. I still start it a couple of times a month through the winter just to make sure it will start in the spring. Glad that is done.

The guy came to give an estimate on the fence removal. O-U-C-H. When he saw the tree that had fallen he said they did tree removal too. So long story short, they are going to remove the fence, the posts, fill in the post holes with dirt, remove an old wood stacker thing I had out there, remove all the fallen limbs in the yard, remove a big branch still hanging on a tree, cut off the rest of the big tree that fell and remove the fallen tree. All for $1,650 plus tax. That seems like a lot but I had a huge oak tree taken down a few years back from a tree removal place and it was around $2,000 for the one tree. So all in all I'm not really complaining. I could turn it into insurance but my rate would just go up so I'll pay it myself. It's going to hurt but not much I can do about it. I'll put it on my charge card and get some of it back. :happy0203:

They are so back logged (no pun intended) because of the storm, that it might take at least 2 weeks to get here. But I have a contract so no one can say anything. I called the city to make sure.  :buttercup: 

• Like 2

I took a Prayer Request from a nearly breathless D this morning.  She's a dear older lady from my church and I know her well from the Women's Bible Study.  I could tell she was ....a bit frantic.  But by the time we'd talked for a while, we'd had a couple laughs and she was calmer.

Her dh had pains on the way to church Sunday so they went back to house to get her purse and head to ER.  She gave him a couple baby asprin and Tums.  Then he felt so good they went to church.  :unsure:

Tuesday, they mentioned this at his regular doc appointment.  Naturally doc did tests.  One test came back this morning and they called.  D took the call:  yes, that was a 'cardiac event' and come in to city hospital right now. 

Except her dh went deer hunting this morning and she had a hard time reaching him.  :o   He was on his way in tho.....then they'd leave and scoot to city!!!!!

.....and he'd got his deer!  :lol:  

She did laugh with me about that.....  Told her if he's feeling that good, there can't be much damage YET.  But sounds like they might have found blockages and want him in and cleared before he has a big heart attack!  So it's serious but they'll have a story to tell about .....uh, wait doc.  Gotta get my deer first cuz I know you won't let me hunt after surgery!  :rolleyes:

MtRider ....pray for D and her dh, please.  :pray:

Jeepers....Glad you got someone to handle all that....at a price.  But that is a lot of work so you might have gotten a pretty decent deal.  Heaven knows we can't do all that ourselves anymore!

MtRider  :thumbs: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

a language/speech device in the back of his jeep

Wow.....that's going to surprise those folks.  Yeah...too bad it took this long to figure out it wasn't what he thot it was. 

I've had things that I "found" .....and at some point I must have bought at garage sale.  But....I don't remember it.  :busted:    Actually, it's usually a prep thing....not needed in the NOW....but useful in the HooeyHitsFan... so I stuck it away.

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

• Like 1

Ambergris, I would but it is very very pointed. If a child were to play back there (they shouldn't...but you know kids) and get hurt then I could be held responsible. It isn't quite in the woods or else I would. It's more in the yard area. That's why I'm having them fill in the post holes with dirt. Kids.  Plus I wouldn't want a deer to stumble into one and break a leg. My town is so picky too. They are ready to fine us over the smallest things. I figure I'll just have it all taken care of at once and be done with it while they are there.

Actually that is pretty much what is going to happen to the tree. They are just going to cut it off even so only about a 4-5 feet is left to rot. That jagged piece looks really dangerous.

I've heard tree saws going all day.

Mt. Rider said: "Heaven knows we can't do all that ourselves anymore!"

Amen sister. While the guy was here I picked up about a dozen small limbs from the yard and flung them back in the woods and my back was breaking over that.  :sigh:

• Like 1

I got 12 pints of dog food done in two crockpots and pc'd in one canner!  So glad I'm back to doing this.  It's the first time since we moved that I've done pup food.  The shrimp and grits were sure good and I have leftovers!  Everything done except the inside out caramel apples.  Sunday, I think.  Busy the next two days.  Have a good weekend!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Why can't you leave a five-foot stump standing to rot on its own?  I have one of those in the back yard, and it's well out of the way.

It probably depends on the type of tree, and the climate, too, but we've ended up with trees regrowing from their stumps. 

Mostly maple and hawthorn, but I'm sure there are others. 

• Like 1

This one is an oak tree. I have oak, hickory and maple back there that I know of. 

It's snowing here today. Not a lot but enough to halt more clean up people from doing their work. I'm hoping it isn't too late for an "Indian Summer" to happen. We could use a week or two of warm dry weather. Tornados are much more convenient in the spring/summer than in the fall/winter. Stupid comment but true.

I went to the building place today and got it squared away that I have a contract so it is out of my hands whenever they come. They can call that company if they have any issues. They said the city does a lot of work with them so that's good. I thought it was just a fence company but they do all kinds of work so I'll keep them in mind this summer.

I stopped at the Post Office and got some more stamps. I didn't really need more but they are forever stamps so I'll use them eventually. I have plenty to last a year or two now. One less thing to think about.

I hit the bank and got a new (can't think of the name) thing where you write down the checks you write. Recorder? I've been writing all over the last one. Why I waited this long is beyond me. I mean...they are free. Probably because I had to go in and get it instead of a drive up. I think I'm getting spoiled with drive thru windows. Well, not that I actually drive 'through' a window. Not quite that lazy yet. Maybe next week.  :008Laughing:

Then I stopped off at the store and did a little stocking up. They had the little cups of Rice-A-Roni on sale but I can't remember the price. And some single $1.00 servings of Kraft Mac and Cheese. Also the little single servings of mashed potatoes were $1.00 each. I like those for a snack. Knoor's side dishes are $1.00 each and Chef Boy-Ar-Dee (sp) pasta cans are $1.00 each. Wish they made the little single servings of Stove Top Stuffing. I emailed the company about that once but never got a reply. Probably thought I was a crackpot. Pffft, if the shoe fits... The little servings of corn, peas, green beans and carrots were on sale too. I know, some pretty junky food but it's my occasional comfort food. It will last me through the winter easily. I also picked up a 4 pack of pineapple and mandarin oranges packed in coconut water to try. Sounded interesting.

Finally swung by Subway for a 6in. veggie sub and to McDonalds for some sweet tea. My back is shot so I'm gonna eat then unload the car and do absolutely nothing for the rest of the weekend except lie on the heating pad and read the Kindle and probably do some snoozing.  And reading Mrs. S of course.

Oh, and puppy watching. Lawsy, they are cute, cute, cute.    :wub:

1. The newest group getting spoon fed

2. This group is in that bite everything and fling it around stage. So funny to watch them go.

Spoon Feeding.PNG

Hooligans.PNG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Such variation in colors and patterns!  CUTE PUPPIES!

Our deer hunter who was called to report quickly to the city ER......It was a small heart attack.  Angioplasty says heart looks great for his age!!  In for CT now...looking at a 'something' on his aorta. 

MtRider  .....taking it easy...still low vital signs.  But coming up.  :amen:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Feeling better still. Real sore cause I’m doing too much. LOL. 

Cut the hedges in front of the house so I can plant roses. Rose hips? :)

Went to to the PO 2 times and almost had 2 accidents. Really?!  Came home & decided not to go out again. 

Rewired a standing lamp the ferret chewed on the electrical cord to bare wire. Typical ferrets.  We didn’t catch it til it was too late. We are surprised he didn’t electrocute himself. 

Did a few loads of laundry to get a jump start on tomorrow’s cleaning. 

DH helped plant rye grass while I spread some straw to try to keep the birds out of it until it grows. 

Then, cooked some ribs and corn on the cob for dinner. 

Time to go watch “Live PD” and relax for the day. 

Boy oh boy oh boy...has everybody had life thrown at them!  Jeepers, hoping you get your property issues taken care of as well as feeling better health wise.

Annarchy, you also...get healthy as well as the rest of y ou!

I've been absolutely consumed with dehydrating and canning but it's something I love to to do.  Ended up with lots of dehydrated "zoodles" (just dump a pint into a pot of boiling water and wait for your healthy pasta), as well as several "ribbons".  Also dehydrated 10 trays of cherry tomatoes and vacuum sealed them this morning into pint jars.  Dusted one pint with Redman's pure salt and put them in the frig...for me to snack on :-)  Today I finished off the rest of the cherry tomatoes into 10 pints of salsa...bring on the tortilla chips this winter! LOL  Still have the pumpkins out on the deep freeze (stays very cool out there) waiting for me to dehydrate them and roast the seeds for snacks.  Son pawned off 2 big bags of yellow apples on me so I guess I'll need to do something with them too.  THEN...all my berries are still in the other deep freeze and need to be dealt with.  Rather than can them I think I'll vacuum seal them in bags and just use them in our morning smoothies.  We've went into "prevention" mode for this winter and you'd be surprised what all you can get into a smoothie!  I use our magic bullet, one for him and one for me.  That way I can put my 3 drops of liquid Iodine in mine (for thyroid health).  We love the Beet powder.  Talk about an energizer!  We prefer orange juice, but the grape juice with certo gel is what we take for arthritis, so it's just easier to put it all in one glass :-)  All we ever taste is the grape juice! LOL 

The weather has been very cold for the past few days but is supposed to warm back up next week.  Guess we'll rotate our winter/summer clothes tomorrow and then next week try to get the garden plants pulled and taken to the city compost yard.

Take care all!

• Like 2

WE2....did you dehydrate the beets yourself for the "beet powder"?  We're a couple days over due to pick up a quantity of beets.  We like them just boiled.  We love them pickled.  But this year.....aiyiyi!  Not sure what we'll get done.    But I think tomorrow we can slip over and pick up what my gardening friend has left over.  .....she mentioned gunny sacks... :yum3:

Beets for energy......we feed shredded/dehydrated and rehydrated beet pulp [a comercial feed] to our old skinny horse.  One of the ancient horse feed supplements.

MtRider  :canning: 

Speaking of beets, the deer enjoyed my beet tops this year. :runcirclsmiley2: A chef friend of mine suggested I pickle the can of beets that had been given to me. I shuddered as my mother would never forgive me if I canned the beets any other way than my Grandmother.   :0327: The chef said that 'mom' would never be able to tell the difference. She was trained in France so I hope she's right.  :cheer:  The can is a #10 can and probably weighs in at 7+ pounds. This experiment had better work. !   :happy0203:

DH and I really like the Blue Ball Book recipe for pickled beets.  Sometimes we leave them in the extra fridge instead of canning them.  Depends on the energy available.  Then after the beets are gone from the jar....we reboil the juice and put in hard boiled eggs.  Pickled eggs with same recipe and ...they are purple, of course from beet juice.

MtRider .....rats.  I think that cold came back.  Opportunistic microbes!  Throwing our herbal arsenal at it ...again! 

Well....my sleep has been scrambled ...and less than I need...since the surgery.  Last nite I slept well from 1-5am.  4 hours.  Woke up nauseous.  [thanks for tip, Ambergris, on what Oxy can do to GI.  Might be the case....but only 2 pills???]  Anyway, saltines, 7-up, and reading Short Straw thread til 9am.  Went back to bed and slept till noon.  7 total hours and it took me 11 hours to achieve that.  :sigh:   

Got nasty headache in afternoon....just as DH was beginning to turn last nite's roasted beets into pickled beets.  I must stand up when I have a headache so.....he SO readily agreed to let me peel the beets.  LOL  He's a doctor...also a cook but doesn't like getting his hands all messed up.   I take off top and root....then goosh off the skin with my fingers.  Easy.  MESSY!  :happy0203:    He got the rest of it ready with jars, spices, etc.  I finally found our recipe.  I was cleaned up and thin-slicing onions by that time and was happy to notice the headache was gone.  :amen:  

We didn't actually can the almost-four-quarts .... tho the recipe is from an older BallBlueBook and is set for canning.  But we do keep them in the downstairs fridge.  One year DH and I did the whole water bath thing together.  First time for him.  I no longer have the stamina to do the whole process by myself.  But DH and I work well together in these things.  We just each do what is best for our skill set.  [ I goosh beet skins- he does dishes]  :lol:   This year.....considering our constant struggle with so much, we decided to keep it simple.  Working in an overloaded kitchen due to rodent invasion of lower cabinets....yeah, try to can  :canning:  in that tiny space.   :buttercup:  

So.....I feel like I accomplished something today!  :cheer:   I'm still taking the immune-booster and VitC but I don't feel 'ill' like yesterday.  :amen: 

MtRider  :yum3: 

Edited by Mt_Rider

Glad you are feeling better Mt.Rider.  You are lucky you have a willing canning partner!

I find it harder and harder to do a start to finish canning session these days too. I've found that doing some of the prep work, (like peeling, slicing, chopping) the day before really helps a lot. I just store it in the fridge until the next day and I feel like I have a head start the next morning.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Finally making the inside out caramel apples this morning and the house smells good!  Also making cinnamon roll cookies so I can make owls out of them (photos to follow and hopefully on the correct thread)  LOL  Getting ready to run out and do a few errands, then come home and bake and do eBay stuff.  Also trading the little Christmas tree I bought as it looks too sad and bad to use.  First year it can actually go in the front window so I want an okay tree at least.  Doing laundry today, too.  You all have a great day!!!  Again, not sure how I got the quote box in there.  Oh well

Edited by Annarchy
Fixed it.
  • Like 1

:lol:   yeah, Miki.  I had a badly behaving quote box twice now.  :shrug: 

Feeling okay today.  Plan to do feeding tonite since DH is at work.  He moved the horses to the side with the small paddock....meaning I don't have to put a halter/lead on BigBadNutcase to keep him from poaching Mika's food.  That's too much risk handling him until my wound is further healed.  If I can get attacked by a laptop.....  Nuff said.  :rolleyes: Ducks are easy since they no longer go to pond.  .....yes, winter is here, tho today is nearly 60 degrees. 

MtRider  .....sniffs the air.....apples, caramel, cinnamon....  :happy0203:   I'm goin' visiting at Miki's house!  Smells like vinegar here.  :lol:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

It's so funny you guys mentioned good smells. I went to the store to pick up some meds and it smelled like heaven in there. The bakery must be cooking up something wonderful. When I got home, about a mile down the road I could still smell baked goods when I got out of the car. I have no idea where it was coming from.

I suppose I am just down wind from Miki. All that apple, cinnamon, caramel fragrance wafting in my direction. 

Sniff.png

• Like 2