MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WINE

I went and hunted up another recipe that was posted here.

Goatherder, I found this recipe on the internet a few months ago, I have not tried it yet or for that matter any wine. lol thats on one of these days list sigh.

Homemade Wine

Submitted by: msgypsylee

"This is an easy recipe for homemade wine. You can choose whatever flavor you like but my favorite is the red. You will need a sterile milk jug, a large latex balloon and a rubber band to complete the project. This Wine is a bit stronger than regular table wine. Its great for cooking as well as drinking." Original recipe yield: 1 gallon.

INGREDIENTS:

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast

4 cups sugar

1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen juice concentrate - any flavor except citrus, thawed

3 1/2 quarts cold water, or as needed

DIRECTIONS:

Combine the yeast, sugar and juice concentrate in a gallon jug. Fill the jug the rest of the way with cold water. Rinse out a large balloon, and fit it over the opening of the jug. Secure the balloon with a rubber band.

Place jug in a cool dark place. Within a day you will notice the balloon starting to expand. As the sugar turns to alcohol the gasses released will fill up the balloon. When the balloon is deflated back to size the wine is ready to drink. It takes about 6 weeks total.

Note:

Use a frozen juice concentrate without added sweeteners for best results.

==========================================================

Plum Lum or Cherry Cordial

1 pound small red or purple plums, Italian prune plums

1 pound cube sugar

1 bottle of gin or vodka ( 42 proof works)

Wash and pick each piece of fruit. Place the fruit in a covered container like an apothocary jar. add sugar and gin or vodka. stir to mix well. set closed container in a cool, dark and dry place for at least 3 months. During the three months you may stir the mixture once or twice. at the end of the three months, drain and serve as an after dinner cordial. store in a corked container or one that has a tight fitting lid. Mrs fuller uses Bing cherries also starts in July when the fruit is ripe. collects fancy bottles till Oct. then puts them in the bottles where it will rest till Christmas. the fruit can be eaten also. but don't over do it .

The cordial recipe I had gotten out of the newspaper a long time ago. Sorry I can not tell you if it is great cuz I didn't make it either. Gotta get to that dang list soon.

If you do a google search on home made wine you will come up with many sights. hope this is helpful.

alldoneandready

Well, I FOUND a peach wine recipe. You can find them everywhere-books, internet, etc. Let's say it was this:

2 1/2 lb peaches

2 lb sugar

1 gal water

1 level tsp. energizer

1 1/2 level tsp.acid blend

1 camden tablet

1/2 tsp pectic enzyme powder

1/4 tsp grape tannin

wine yeast

Starting specific gravity should be 1.090-1.095, acid .60%.

Use only sound ripe fruit and remove the stones. Crush fruit and put all ingredients except yeast in primary fermentor. Add hot water and stir to dissolve sugar. Cover with plastic sheet. When must is cool (70-75 F) add yeast. Stir the must daily. Ferment for 5-6 days or until specific gravity is 1.040. Strain out fruit pulp and press. Siphon into gallon jugs or carboys and attach fermentation locks. Rack in 3 weeks and again in 3 months. Fine with Serena Finings and when wine is clear and stable, bottle. To preserve flavour and colour add 1 antioxidant tablet per gallon at time of bottling. Wine may be sweetened to taste at time of bottling with sugar syrup (2 parts sugar to 1 part water). Add 2 stabalizer tablets to prevent renewed fermentation. Age 1 year.

Well, you could use this recipe if you wanted, but I say: "PHOOEY!" First off I'd have to travel nearly 60 miles one way to the nearest wine shop to get most of these ingredients. I'd use peaches, sugar, water and yeast. Wine yeast IS better, but packets of bread yeast works. 1 packet will make up to 5 gal. of wine. If I didn't have a hydrometer to measure specific gravity, then I would probably stick to the measures of the ingredients given as far as fruit, sugar and water. When I made mine I had TONS of canned peaches in the cupboard. My brother-in-law had canned them and they were SOUR. (Not bad, just sour.) So I figure-'a pint's a pound, so a quart is 2 lb, but it's not all fruit-there's sugar syrup in there as well-OH WHAT THE HECK!-) So I just dumped them all in a five gallon bucket-all 10-15 qts. (I figured 'the more peaches, the more peachier'.

Necie

• 1 year later...

I'm a complete newbie concerning wine. I'm interested but don't know the first thing about it or where to start. Clearly, I need a 5 gallon bucket with a good seal, and I need to get some milk jugs or something similar. I don't have milk jugs as I have goats, but I'm sure I can find some sort of containers that would work, once I know what I'll be using them for and how the set-up should look and work. Is there a really good site anyone could recommend on wine making - equipment, how-to, etc.? I could Google wine making, I'm sure, and study the subject until I get a feel for it, but if the folks here already into it want to suggest sites they like, perhaps sites they found useful when they first got started, I'd be VERY grateful. Thanks!!

P.S. A gal I work with is a part-time bar tender, so I'll ask her if she can get me some empty liquor bottles with the screw tops. That is a good pointer!

I agree with Fritz...Jack Keller's site is THE site for winemaking. He really knows his stuff and is very novice friendly. I'm pretty sure if you googled 'wine making', his would be at the top of the list.

As far as the 5 gal bucket WITH A GOOD SEAL-no. You don't want to seal up anything tight until the fermentation process is complete. Big BOOM. You'll be mopping and smelling fermenting 'stuff' for months....(don't ask me how I know this rollingeyes ).

cowgirl, go to walmart or another that has a water machine and buy a 5gal. water bottle this will be about $12 maybe a little more.then get a air lock and put the air lock in the top of the lid.and put some cocking around the air lock and the hole.you can use drinking water jugs. cheaper then milk and you can use the water to make the wine.if you will like in can give a recipe for some wines or some meads?

Thanks, Zelle! Yes, I am interested in recipes. When my elderberries come into production, I'm looking forward to giving elderberry wine a try. I'm also wanting to plant grapes. We have apples. The other fruits we have aren't, to my knowledge, typically made into wine.

You can make wine out of just about anything, but other fruit you have to add sugar to get the alcohol up to a percentage that will store properly. I've even made coffee wine. Go on up to my previous post and check out Jack Keller's site. There are definately elderberry wine recipes. I just looked and he has recipes that have won first and second place in wine competitions.

well the first one is made kind of like rum.

3 c.dark brown suger

1/2 c. molasses

1/2-1 tea. allspice

1/2 tea. dry yeast (can use bread yeast)

enough water to almost fill a gal. jug

jug w/ screw on lid

*you can add one snack size box raisins chopped helps yeast

add some warm water to the jug and add suger.(*) shake.add molasses and spice.shake.fill jug w/ warm water.baby bottle warm.

and add yeast. shake.put in a warm spot and one that you can leave it there abuot 6 weeks. screw lid on but not to tight. then when bubbles stop.take off the top 3/4 of the wine with a turkey baster.put into another jug.the bottem stuff is dead yeast.after you have your wine in a jug you need to taste some.then in a cup add a tea. ea. of malasses and suger and enough water to mix them togher. add 1 tea. at a time to your wine till it's sweet enough for you.this will help take the bit out of the wine.you can add more allspice as well.you can drink your wine/bottle and age it/or you can let it set in the bottle and clear up some more. then bottle it.

blue honey mead (honey wine)

2# honey

12-16 oz blueberries (frozen then thawed)

enough water to make about a gal.

1/2 tea. dry yeast

mix and make the same as rum wine. after you take the wine out of the jug and put into the #2 jug. mix honey and water not molasses.

DH started his very first batch 2 weeks ago. It is fermenting as we speak. I think he is going to strain it next Wednesday.

Before he has even tasted his first "brew" he has planted about 7 grape plants for future wine making.

I don't even drink, but I guess I'll have to at least "sip" some. Dh has a small glass with dinner 4-5 times a week. I don't know who is going to drink this big batch!

Thanks for the tip on the website. I'll have to show it to hubby.

Originally Posted By: Lele
They make great gifts, to friends that partake. You can also use them for barter.

Yep, just make up a nice label and print it out. If you plan on reusing the bottles, attach that lable with a glue stick and it comes right off with a short soak in water.

Go check out the SCA for recipes on wine, cyser, etc.

www.sca.org or just google cyser for recipes and look for an 'SCA' connection.

What's neat about many of the recipes is that members of the SCA try to replicate techniques used in the middle ages, so in a 'grid down' situation, you wouldn't need high tech gear.

We had some pear cyser at an SCA event in Houston a while back and it was great.

I have used the origional recipe many times. Always has worked well for me.

I wouldn't do the initial fermentation in a sealed tight container. It will build enough gas to explode.

As Niece said; every one has to experience a wine explosion at least once. It makes you appreciate 'the power'.

I use glass gallon jugs for the Welch frozen juice recipe. I used crocks for the fruits, blackberry, huckleberry. I find it harder to control fermentation in the crocks, at times the juice gets pretty 'strong'.

A small glass is plenty! bouquet

DH's friend (who has been making wine for 20 years) came over and helped him do the "big pour". They skimmed off a bunch of gunk and strained it a few times. Now he said it has to cook for 120 more days. So far no explosions! rofl

I made the mistake of stopping at the feed store today. He came out with 4 more grape plants!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived