MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Virtual Block Party....You're Invited

Stephanie

I'll be attending with my dh and 4 ds's. We may also have our Jack Russell with us...he's hyper, like us.

I'll be bringing -

Pinwheels with salsa

Mexican Layer Dip with Tostisto chips

Porcupine Meatballs in Barbeque Sauce

A case of my favorite soda...Diet Mountain Dew Red

Well, that's a start....what are you bringing??

Hmmm...I think I'll have to bring some hot dogs to grill; hubby LOVES hotdogs. And some baked beans & potato salad. Lots of A & W root beer and some caffeine-free Coke, since I'm hyper-sensitive to caffeine. Can our miniature schnauzer, Harley, join us? She'll be a little hyper at first, and maybe bark at everyone...but then when people start leaving, she'll cry. Does it every time, lol!

For music, a friend of Jenn's from church has a band called Turning Point, and right now they're playing at the Civic Center at the rally to welcome home our Little Leaguers, who won the Little League World Series Monday...I'll ask them to come to the block party to provide some music. 0470.gif They do all kinds...

I'm bringing a pot of cabbage soup for westie and I...I'll bring a watermelon too...

I'll be bringing the girls, not sure if the boys will wanna come, and my 2 anatolians and chinese pug. Hopefully westie will bring her anatolians and we can have them all get together.

Well, my favorite things to bring to a potluck are usually salads, the simpler, the better.

The first one is a really good but simple pasta salad. Cook tri-color rotini until al dente. Rinse under cold water until no longer warm. Add garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper to taste. Toss pasta with bacon ranch dressing, until well coated. Serve cold. *If it's more than a couple of hours between adding the bacon ranch dressing and the time you serve it, you may need to add more dressing, as the pasta will absorb it.*

Another favorite is a really pretty salad made with brussels sprouts (frozen-steamed until hot) cut in half, either diced tomatoes, or cherry tomatoes cut in half, and 1 cucumber, peeled, cut in half (lengthwise), seeded and cut into thin crescents, 1 small onion cut into thin half rings and all tossed together with Italian dressing. Add black pepper, and garlic to taste. If you don't like brussels sprouts, use broccoli florets.

So! That's my contribution to this party, along with a crockpot full of meatballs simmering in bbq sauce...

I'm finally here. It took awhile for me to hobble in. I brought a homemade cheesecake.

Who on earth is wearing that lampshade? It looks like the corner of a tiara is peeking out from underneath. Hmmm

I also brought some healthy beverages. along with some caffeine free diet pepsi.

Okay, is there a cover charge to pay the band?? I'd bring KTMa, Himee and Tuxedo (Rotty and two alley kittens), but the kittens think that they are rotties and three rotties is too much for any party. Probably just me and the boys as Daughter can't leave her boyfriend for more than a few minutes.

I'll bring some pineapple pies, korean cole slaw and some turf & surf kabobs. I'll have to dig out the recipes...I'm making extra for labor day picnics. Oh yeah, and a couple of gallons of sparkling lemonade. Maybe for the kids I'll throw together a bunch of cereal cookies, you know rice krispie treats, indoor smores, nobake fudgies...what do you'all think???

Who is bringing the paper plates, cups and stuff??? Or should we each bring enough for our families???

hmmmm, a batch of triple fudge brownies topped with chocolate fudge frozen goatsmilk custard?

(if we put these in between the salads, it nullifies the calories)

I looove pasta salad yummm!!

And berry cobbler and cheesecake.....yehawwww!!

My boys adore those no bake fudgies!!

Luna, I definitely want that chocolate goatsmilk custard recipe...my mom has nubians and is always looking for new recipes.

Stephanie

Great I will bring my tomato salad. You make a ring of 1 slice tomato, 1 slice mozzarella cheese, then tomato, then cheese. Just keep repeating until until you have filled a platter. Then sprinkle some salt, and drizzle olive oil that has basil and garlic marinated in it over night. Serve cold. On a hot day this is 1 of my favorite salads. Hubby will join us when he gets off work..

I'll bring some quart jars of home-canned pickles.. Let's see, I have bread & butter pickles, dill slices, dill spears, sweet pickle slices, and sweet pickle spears. (Can you tell my family likes pickles?) Oh, and I'll bring a few pints of my watermelon rind pickles for another dessert. I'll have to sneak those out, though. Hubby thinks those pickles are *his* - and he watches them closely! LOL

My first recipe!!!

Pinwheels

1 pkg flour tortillas

2 pkgs cream cheese

8 oz grated sharp cheddar

2 dashes Louisiana Hot Sauce

1/2 cup of chopped black olives (or more if you'd like)

1 envelope ranch dressing seasoning

Soften cream cheese, chop olives, combine everything except tortillas of

course...

Now you simply spread the mixture on the flat tortillas and roll up like a

jelly roll. Then you slice and arrange on a platter to serve....there you have

it...pinwheels.

NOTE: We always make these the night before and don't slice them until

ready to serve, it seems the flavor is even better.

If you'd like to serve with a nice salsa for dipping....that's even better.

Archived