MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Some of my home canning.

Darlene

Quote:
a little vinegar in the water.. keeps the jars nice and shiny.

just thought I would mention that.

I know, I know, I know...you're right...

I just always forget and hafta do it when I wash the jars...either way they get hit up with vinegar I guess...lol

Well westie oh pal 'ole friend my bud, when you're processing about 38 quarts of something and trying to time them both at the same time, sometimes I just FORGET.

SWAT

lol

so IF you processed 37 quarts you would remember? or 20 quarts *shrug* 5 quarts, 38 quarts... drop a bit of vinegar in the water before processing... the jars come out so pretty and shiny!

I should have your problem

Quote:
so IF you processed 37 quarts you would remember? or 20 quarts *shrug* 5 quarts, 38 quarts... drop a bit of vinegar in the water before processing... the jars come out so pretty and shiny!

I should have your problem

You sure are on a roll tonight...rofl

Just get your hiney over here and help me get this dog to stop peeing...lol btw, her breeder thinks she might have a urinary tract infection. They're becoming just like kids...I've never had dogs like this...throwing up from eating chocolate, diahreah, peeing everywhere from urinary tract infections, whining and crying cause they want inside, throwing up cause the vet didn't know why, stealing each other's bones...

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez...

AND YOU WANT ME TO REMEMBER STUPID VINEGAR?

I pour vinegar into the water when I wash them...WHAT'S THE STUPID DIFFERENCE?

SWAT

ROFLMAO!

*I* put the vinegar in the water before I process... of course saving Time!...

I am understanding that *YOU* process, then wash the jars with vinegar water?... isn't that a time waster?

Now if you do it *MY* way, you will have more time letting said pups out to pee.. keep them out of your chocolate so no cleaning up accidents... and the uniary tract infection is very hard to clear up in both humands and pets... hey, isn't this the canning section? and I am talking dogs? no matter... get cranberry pills and add to the pups diet, kind of hard to get them to drink cranberry juice.. heck it is hard to get me to drink cranberry juice! add that to their antibiotic regiment.

Now adding vinegar to your processing water will save you time therefore giving you more time to spend with the dogs.

They are addicting aren't they!

Quote:
Now adding vinegar to your processing water will save you time therefore giving you more time to spend with the dogs.

Ok, let me try this again for my friend westie...

YOU put water in the canner before processing.

*I* wash my jars after they cool in warm soapy water.

I also add vinegar at that point.

So, tell me WHERE I'm wasting time, when I would be WASHING THE STUPID JARS ANYWAY????? ROFL!
Quote:
*shielding herself*

Is it a good time to ask How much vinegar and does it matter what kind? Im allergic to some types of vinegar.

Dear jewlz...

Don't mind westie, she, oh how would you say, gets confused sometimes.

I just put a little vinegar, depending on how much water I have in the sink to wash my jars (maybe 1-2T). No, I wouldn't think it would matter what type of vinegar...I just use plain vinegar myself.

We have well water and the minerals in it builds up all over the pot the water is boiled in. Putting a little vinegar in the water stops the buildup on pots and jars both.

As to my jars yesterday I was SHOCKED at the out come, to say the least. The jars looked and felt perfectly clean after boiling in that applesauce water. The lids and rings were another story but they really weren't that bad. I washed them all in hot soapy water and they're now put away for winter eating.

The HWB canner, being so big, was a different story trying to clean. It really wansn't bad but.......

Darlene love all your pic's something to achieve (If only in my dreams) As for the vinegar I have gotten used canning jars that were all cloudy and yucky and I washed them in soapy vinegar water and rinsed them put them in my hotwater bath with vinegar in that and boilded them 10 min then filled them with tomato juice and HWB them then took them out and after they were cooled wash them in soapy vinegar water again now Big Boss and Little Boss is that enough vinegar water for ya. But I will say jars are so bright might have to get my sunglasses on when I go down the basement just to get a jar.

Those are some cool photos and some serious canning. Some day perhaps I will learn to pressure can. I have to give away almost everything I can as I have little room. If I did as much as you Darlene, I would have to buy a tent to move into as the trailer would be full.LOL Mik

Cool photo's Dar.

And how come nobody told me this vinegar thingy before. JUST turned off my last batch of potatoes-38 qts-no vinegar. Now I gotta go and wash them in vinegar water? DON'T THINK SO! Betcha I'll try it next time, though. We have well water, too-leaves jars cloudy.

Dee-I've had that happen with the bottom falling out. Have been told (and figure it's correct) that it's from not having the contents of the jar hot enough and putting it into boiling water. If I cold pack something and it's not very hot, now I always start it in 'faucet' hot water and let it all come up to temp together. (Mine did it with super hot habenero sauce-about liked to 'gas' us outa the house. WHEWEEEEEEEE-that was BAD!)

Archived