MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hello!

girlmama

Hi Millie! Welcome! I've learned a lot here. The people are all great! You'll love this site.

Blessings,

Cootie

welcome3

Welcome Millie! You'll learn a lot here! Enjoy...and see ya around the boards!

Originally Posted By: girlmama
Thank you all for the warm welcome! Where would you recommend that I start? (Not that I'm overwhelmed or anything...)

Where to start?

Well, put on your babyshoes, 'cause you'll be taking lots of little babysteps...

There are as many different plans as there are circumstances and budgets. What might work for one, might not work for another.

Here's what I did: Firstly, I focused on accumulating stores of bulk foods that are cheap and last for years without freezing or refrigeration: beans, rice, lentils, pasta noodles, bulgur wheat, wheat berries (grain), salt, spices, seasonings, bouillon, sugar, etc.

Before I became a prepper, I didn't eat nearly as much beans and rice as I do now...never cooked with bulgur, never tried cooking wheat berries like rice...never made yummy lentil snacks before... (Here's my lentil snack recipe )

This is an excellent food storage how-to primer by Alan Hagan: The Prudent Food Storage FAQ, v4.0

Anyway, I changed the old prepper's maxim around: "Only store what you eat". Now, I eat what I store, and y'know...I feel better! My hot flashes suddenly vanished (high isoflavanone diet, thanks to beans), my hair gleams with a shine I hadn't had in years! Google-search the health benefits of whole grains and beans...you'll be amazed. You also might like to know that the more beans you eat, the less musical you will be. whistling

After I put by a goodly amount of 'survival food', THEN I started to accumulate the other stuff that is in my daily diet...canned foods, flour, oil, coffee, peanut butter, etc.

Along with that, went canned meats, and a hefty sum of dehydrated foods: dried bean soups, meat jerky, lotsa dried apple and banana slices, dried veggies, etc.

Along with that, stocked up basic hygiene and medical supplies, etc, etc....

Everything is dated with a marker. This makes it possible to rotate inventory (use oldest stuff first), so that nothing goes to waste.

There's lots more to the business of preparing for the unexpecteds, so I hope you stick around and browse through the posts here. And please, ask lots of questions! This helps all of us...including those who feel a tad shy about posting. wink Questions also help those who answer, because it helps us to stay focused and sharp.

Be sure to check out the for-members-only sections downstairs!

Welcome to MrsSurvival!

--Sharon
Originally Posted By: PureCajunSunshine
Originally Posted By: girlmama
Thank you all for the warm welcome! Where would you recommend that I start? (Not that I'm overwhelmed or anything...)

Where to start?

Well, put on your babyshoes, 'cause you'll be taking lots of little babysteps...

There are as many different plans as there are circumstances and budgets. What might work for one, might not work for another.

Here's what I did: Firstly, I focused on accumulating stores of bulk foods that are cheap and last for years without freezing or refrigeration: beans, rice, lentils, pasta noodles, bulgur wheat, wheat berries (grain), salt, spices, seasonings, bouillon, sugar, etc.

Before I became a prepper, I didn't eat nearly as much beans and rice as I do now...never cooked with bulgur, never tried cooking wheat berries like rice...never made yummy lentil snacks before... (Here's my lentil snack recipe )

This is an excellent food storage how-to primer by Alan Hagan: The Prudent Food Storage FAQ, v4.0

Anyway, I changed the old prepper's maxim around: "Only store what you eat". Now, I eat what I store, and y'know...I feel better! My hot flashes suddenly vanished (high isoflavanone diet, thanks to beans), my hair gleams with a shine I hadn't had in years! Google-search the health benefits of whole grains and beans...you'll be amazed. You also might like to know that the more beans you eat, the less musical you will be. whistling

After I put by a goodly amount of 'survival food', THEN I started to accumulate the other stuff that is in my daily diet...canned foods, flour, oil, coffee, peanut butter, etc.

Along with that, went canned meats, and a hefty sum of dehydrated foods: dried bean soups, meat jerky, lotsa dried apple and banana slices, dried veggies, etc.

Along with that, stocked up basic hygiene and medical supplies, etc, etc....

Everything is dated with a marker. This makes it possible to rotate inventory (use oldest stuff first), so that nothing goes to waste.

There's lots more to the business of preparing for the unexpecteds, so I hope you stick around and browse through the posts here. And please, ask lots of questions! This helps all of us...including those who feel a tad shy about posting. wink Questions also help those who answer, because it helps us to stay focused and sharp.

Be sure to check out the for-members-only sections downstairs!

Welcome to MrsSurvival!

--Sharon

Good info. Thank you!

I'm happy to say that my family eats (and enjoys) beans. I cook a pot at least once a week. We have been trying new varieties lately and so far all have been a hit. Next week will be black beans which I love but hubby isn't sure he does. I am looking forward to the day when the 'music' and aroma that goes with it diminish!

Archived