MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Nice to meet you!

FlaGal

Hello, everyone, so nice to meet you all! My name is Seanna.

I've just recently discovered this forum, and spent a few days reading others posts before deciding to jump in and say hi myself.

So, you probably want to know a bit about me - I live in Florida, as you can guess from my login name. I'm happily married to a wonderful guy, we've been together 16 years now. We both work full-time and are lucky enough to be able to ride to work together every day, so we get quality time to talk about each day. We've been seeing signs of coming troubles, and after careful planning we've started preparing, but there's so much to do that I fear we won't be in time. We've tried to tell our friends, but the most they do is agree with us then do nothing.

Living in Florida we have our own particular troubles with prepping, so I'm hopeful to find others in the same area. Thanks for the open door to join in the discussions, and good luck to all!

Hey FLaGal, welcome to Mrs. S.

I'm a former Floridian myself! So welcome, and see you around!

FlaGal, I lived 21 years in Miami and last year moved to the mountains, so I over understand the special considerations needed for living in Florida. I still have a ton of family back there too...

Get your focus off of failure (I'm never going to get all this done)...you're way ahead of the game because you have knowledge and experience from hurricane prepping. 'Prepping' per se, is not just about physical, tangible things either...it's a lifestyle, a frame of mind, a knowledge base, a survivor skill, etc etc etc. Some of this you already have without realizing it, so you're further along than you give yourself credit for.

It's good that your hubby is on board, because you will be able to get 3 times as much done between the 2 of you. Next time you go to the grocery store, pick up a couple extra bags of sugar and flour...those are important base preps. Coffee is too if you drink that. I don't know where in the state you live, but I know down in the south end of the state, our growing season was in the winter...up in northern Florida the growing season is spring/summer/fall, so get a small garden going...whether it be a 6x10' raised bed in your back yard, or if you're in an apartment, then container gardening. Sit down with hubby and make a "start" list...list the things that you can start on right now (success and accomplishing some simple goals in the beginning helps spur one on to the bigger things).

Anyway, I won't drone on and on, but we're glad you've joined us and we're here if you have any questions or thoughts you'd like to share.

I have been to Florida a couple of times... California is so much nicer! LOL!

first... never speak of your prepping again! not unless you can afford to take on everyone you talked to about it, their parents, grandkids, siblings and their friends and so on... just keep it between you and your husband.

Prepare for as many as you can afford to prepare for but never talk about it. If SHTF then you can now pick and choose who will be an asset to you and not a leach!

I will disagree with both above... start with canned foods you will eat! don't buy green beans if you hate them! but instead purchase what you will eat! plan a menu for 1 week, 3 meals a day. Purchase everything on your menu for that week. Now plan 1 more week and see if there are some different items you can put on your menu.. a change here and a change there. Now you have 2 weeks of a varied menu.

Just keep repeating this 2 week menu adding new items as you think of them until you have 90 days. Now you can start planning on longer term items and acquiring the skills to bake bread from scratch, learn to can, find alternative forms of fuel for cooking and so on. Canned foods can be eaten if necessary right from the can.. of course hot is better but if needed... you could.. oh and don't forget a manual Can Opener!

By purchasing prepackaged items ready to be eaten (and you can include Pancake mix.. just add water - Costco has a great pancake mix if you have a small camp stove to cook them on) you will have a huge amount of stress removed. This plan will let you purchase these items quickly and be prepared in a matter of a month.

Be sure you have enough bottled water to get you through 90 days.

Now if you use a couple of these items a week and restock them as you use them, you will be rotating your supplies.

Oh I forgot.. Welcome!

Oh geez, everyone disagrees with me and I disagree with everyone else lolol....

As you can see, prepping is an individual task...our likes and dislikes are all different. What's important to me probably is not important to anyone else. Like, for me, I am a certified, bonafide chocoholic, so I stock cocoa (among other types of chocolate) because I can make chocolate peanut butter no bake cookies with cocoa, butter, sugar, oatmeal and peanut butter. I have children, the longest I ever went without power/water/phone was 6 weeks and I know that having the ability to make those cookies for all of us made a HUGE difference...it allowed us to feel a little more normal in abnormal times.

Some people say stock rice...I'm not a big rice eater...I'd rather grow and stock potatoes. Some people say stock bags of flour...I routinely grind my own flours because I like the healthy aspect of it, so I stock grains. This is why prepping is an individual, unique thing. Westie is right...stock what y'all eat (not what we eat)...if that's canned goods, then by all means do it. If it's rice, then get it now cause it's going up in price. If you're like me, well, I take that back...nobody is like me...well I take that back, there are many crazy people here who mirror me...lolol

Anyway, I think you're getting the picture from what everyone is saying. Take all our advice, throw out what doesn't suit you and keep the gems we've learned along the way to build a more secure, peaceful and happy future for y'all.

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. I love it here already! smile

We have stopped talking to others about prepping; and we have stocked up on the everyday foods we eat. We've even got a hidden storage room other than the pantry, with about a month of supplies.

We did all this for Y2K, but it didn't FEEL like it does now - do you guys understand? This time, all I feel is a deep, deep sorrow for everyone.

I'm so happy to have found you all to talk to about it; my hubby doesn't want me to be overwhelmed and feel bad, so he tells me to not read the news, etc. or think about it until the next payday when we can do more to prep. I'm trying.

GOODAFTERNOONCHOCKBOARD.gif and WELCOMETOTHEGROUPCOFFEECUP.gif

I so agree with stock what you eat. Why by tuna if you can't stand it. winksmile

Fruits and veggies, and can a lot of your own meats and such. smile Of course you need lots of CHOCOLATECANDY3.gif too. smile

Glad you joined.

HAVEAGREATDAYTEAPOT.gif

7.gif Home girl grin

The great thing about being here at Mrs. S is you can be at any level of prepping and ask questions and have input. Each area around the world (cause we got folks from around the world!) has it's own hazards and styles of prepping. You'll find all kinds of help out here chica!

livwelcome.gif

Welcome.........from another Floridian. I've been here all of my 42 years, smack dab in the middle of the state. I read more than I write on this forum. I've learned TONS from these wonderful ladies!!

Welcome to the forum, I'm new to preps too. There is so very much you are going to learn here, get a tablet (or two) and start making notes and be ready to save a few dozen new favorite websites.

When you said this:

but it didn't FEEL like it does now - do you guys understand? This time, all I feel is a deep, deep sorrow for everyone.

I know exactly what you mean, it's a deep down dead serious thing and it's urgent. This is a much discussed topic here and you will find that pretty much everyone can relate. You're in good company!

Welcome aboard. smile

I love your signature line! It's going into my notebook of favorite quotations.

Welcome to MrsSurvival! I think you will enjoy it here as much as I do.

I love the way a lot of the threads here evolve into many new ways around old problems! Sometimes, threads get a little off track, but keep reading, because sometimes the juciest fruit is buried where you least expect it!

Mais cher! Don't miss out! apple.gif

Welcome to one of the most progressive "all-purpose" preparedness/survivalist sites on the Internet. dance013.gif Be sure to check out the for-members-only sections downstairs!

--Sharon

Archived