MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Containers

For various reason I couldn't breastfeed ds#3 so he is taking powdered formula. We go through about a can every 10 days or so. Up until now I have been throwing away the cans (with plastic lids - think coffee cans) but the other day I thought "what a dummy I am"! Surely I can find something to do with these metal cans. That got me to thinking about other things that I throw away. What do you do with such containers and what containers do you keep? How many containers is too many? I don't want to be a packrat....but I realize that sometime I may need them!

Blessings,

Carie

I save margarine, cottage cheese, sour cream, and cream cheese containers (all plastic with lids).

I clean them well as soon as they're emptied, and use them for both temporary storage in the refrigerator (DRIVES HUBBY CRAZY!) and for freezing things like freezer jams and leftovers.

To keep Hubby sane, I *try* to mark the top with a marker to tell what's in it, but I don't always succeed. shrug

Besides, I do the majority of the cooking. He's just "grazing" when he starts looking into things.

I rarely save glass jars unless it's something that has no strong smell/taste. The lids can hold that smell and it can affect the taste of the food. The exception to this is mayonnaise and Miracle Whip jars, both glass and plastic.

It's a great way to save money on storage containers. If Hubby throws one out after taking salad to work (for example), I really don't care.

bighug

I save some containers just for draining grease* and "wet" stuff that is not compostable, but I do nor want to throw down the drain. In a container with a lid, I can put in the trash without a mess. I am very protective of our septic system. The less you put in, the bettter is my view.

*Bacon grease gets strained into a jar and a place of honor in the fridge. grin

Yep..that is sure the truth Cricket. We do the same thing here. You also don't want small bits of food clogging up the leach field. We have one of those strainer thingys to catch stuff so it doesn't go down there!

I save apple juice plastic jars and the plastic barrels that BJ's sells pretzels and animal crackers in. It is very difficult finding decent affordable jars for my various flours and beans so I recycle. The plastic jars are clear so it is obvious what is in it.

I also use gallon pickle jars, but not as often as plastic is a lot safer with kids and it is hard to get the last pickle smell out.

I store water in old soda bottles and in apple juice containers too.

The big round tubs of ice cream with handles are great for storing things such as beans.

My husband uses our old coffe cans to store his reloading brass.

I save the plastic containers from cottage cheese & sour cream for storing left overs in the 'fridge, or sending leftovers home with my daughter.

Yeah I had several formula can containers in my cabinets for a long while, too.

They are not completely moisture proof, so avoid storing stuff like brown sugar in them-they will eventually get hard.

They are extremely useful for "stuff". You know, the stuff that ends up at the bottom of the junk drawer under the larger stuff.

Also good for nails, screws, nuts and bolts (smaller containers).

You could poke a hole through the lid and use it for almost used up yarn. When the skein loses it's shape, put it in there and put one end through the hole to pull out as you need it.

Mo7

I have been using them for dehydrated foods that I keep in the freezer.Like small amounts of broccoli, mushrooms, celery.I put them in small bags then in to containers.They are much easier to find when I need them.

My 3rd child had to use a formula from behind the pharmacy counter due to major allergies. Hubby put them on a board on the wall with hook on latch things on the bottom and it hooks on to the board, so they can be removed to open to hold all kinds of garage things. He labeled the lids, so he knew what was in each. Worked out really good for him. I use one with a hole in it to put my butchers string on the huge cone. We don't have coffee can's because our coffee does not come in them, so these were very precious around here smile

Kath

We save the yogurt cups with the lids to put Jello into - single servins and I can leave enough room at the top for CoolWhip, put the lid on and DH can take dessert in his lunch box. We bought Kraft Mayo in the widemouth jars, then started buying the mayo in gallon jars and simply refill the widemouths. They keep great.

Dora

Archived