MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I am TRYING to eat dem beans!

CHILI BEANS  BIG BATCH    Makes 16 cups

1 c chopped onions (21 cents)                                                         

1 pint canned tomatoes (88 cents)

6 TB chili powder(50 cents)                                                                              

2 lb beans (pinto or red types) ($1.94)

2 TB salt (1 cent)                                                                                 

7 1/2 c boiling water

1/4 tsp pepper     (1 cent)                                                 

Wash beans and soak overnight in cold water, or quick soak if you want them faster.  Drain soak water.  Mix remaining ingredients into beans.   

If canning, boil 5 min, then pack beans hot in jars within 2 inches of top of jar.  Fill with hot sauce liquid up to 1/2 inch of top of jar, cap and process at 10 lb pressure for 60 min both pints & quarts. 

If making in crockpot, cook soaked beans until tender in plain water.  Drain, then return beans to crock pot with remaining ingredients and cook to blend flavors nicely; 4 hr on high or 8 hr on low.   Total recipe $3.55;  1 cup = 22 cents

If cooking on stovetop, presoak beans, then rinse.  Simmer in fresh water to cover until tender.  Drain, return beans to cook pot with remaining ingredients & simmer 20-30 min to blend flavors, stirring to keep from sticking.

Why buy them when you can make them?  These wont stay on shelves very long they are just too darn handy.  Prices are from about 6 years ago so dont expect them to be as cheap anymore.

WHITE CHILI 10 cups

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

2 med onions chopped

1 garlic cloves, minced      

1 TB veg oil

2 cans (14 1/2 oz ea) fat free chicken broth

2 c cooked great northern or cannellini beans, mashed

2 cans chopped green chilies

1 tsp ground cumin

3/4 tsp dry oregano

1/2 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp pepper

1/8 tsp cloves

1/8 tsp ground red pepper

Optional toppings: sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro

Cut chicken bite sized.  Put in heavy kettle or Dutch oven and sauté along with onion and garlic in the veg. oil, over med high heat.  Cook for 10 min until chicken is cooked.  Stir in broth,  beans, chilies and spices.  Bring to a boil, the cover, lower heat and simmer 30 min longer.  Serve with sour cream & cilantro garnish.

SOUTH OF THE BORDER PIZZA (8 servings)

1 package (8 ½ oz) corn muffin mix (97 cents)

1 16-oz can or 2 cups refried beans (70 cents)

¾ c shredded cheddar cheese (87 cents)

¾ c shredded Monterey Jack cheese (90 cents)

1 cup tomato sauce ($1.00)

3 TB chopped green pepper (20 cents)

3 TB sliced green onions (10 cents)

2 TB salsa (20 cents)

1 tomato, chopped (50 cents)

½ avocado, peeled and sliced (60 cents)

Preheat oven to 400.  Make corn bread according to package directions, reducing milk to ¼ cup.  Spread batter evenly in a 14-inch pizza pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake 20 min, remove from oven and reduce oven to 350 degrees.  Spread refried beans over cornbread.  Sprinkle with half the cheese.  Combine tomato sauce, green pepper, onions and salsa.  Spoon over refried beans.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake 15 min or until cheese melts.  Garnish with avocado slices and chopped tomatoes before serving.  Total recipe cost:  $6.00.  Per serving 75 cents.

SWEET BAKED BEANS
Nutrition Note: This recipe makes 16 servings. Each serving has 150 calories, 1 g fat, 7 g protein, 28 g carbohydrates,
3 g fiber, 37 mg calcium, 52 mcg folate, 296 mg potassium, and 291 mg sodium.
Ingredients:
1 pound (2 cups) dry pinto beans

¾ cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon dry mustard
10 cups cold water

¾ cup ketchup
½ pound cooked, smoked ham pieces

¾ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup chopped white onion

½ cup cold water
½ cup real maple syrup
Method:
1. In a 4-quart kettle, add salt to 10 cups water and heat to boiling.
2. Sort dry beans into a strainer and rinse with cold water.
3. Add beans to water and boil for 10 minutes.
4. Pour beans and water into a crockpot and cook overnight on low, or 1 to 2 hours on high,
until beans are tender.
5. Drain beans and return to crockpot.
6. Add remaining ingredients, stir and simmer 5 to 8 hours. Add more water, if needed, to
keep beans moist.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

The chili beans always disappear on me...they are just so handy to pop open a pint and eat as a side dish...especially with eggs in the morning.  YUM.

• Like 2

I’m a bean lover but we recently figured out they have been causing my husband’s GI issues (we did a whole FODMAP elimination routine when he was told he has diverticulosis).
☹️

It’s not too much trouble to make my own beans and add or enjoy them separately. But I am disappointed because they are such an easy protein source to store! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Looked at a few of these, mostly red beans, on Amazon just now.

Birch & Meadow has a one-gallon bucket for about .28 per ounce

Goya has a six-pack of four-pound bags for .07 per ounce  (Goya normally has VERY fresh beans from Central America.)

Iberia has four-pound bags at .10 per ounce

Palouse (grown in USA) has five pound bags ranging from .20 to .31 per ounce

Food To Live has twenty-pound bags at .17 per ounce

AIVA has four-pound bags for .23 per ounce

Torino Michigan (USA) has fifty or 100 pound bags at .15 per ounce

Clear Creek  (Palouse)  grown in Idaho has sproutable lentils in a twenty-five pound bag for .15 per ounce

edit  and Camelia has a twenty five pound bag (75 dollars) of lady cream peas

All of these are either with free shipping or Amazon Prime shipping--none of that cheap product with high shipping trickery.  You would want to go to the product's store to get what best suits your needs.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here I can usually get beans for about $1 to $2 a pound at the grocery.  The Indian grocery has them cheaper, and also the more expensive types for less than elsewhere.  I highly recommend taking a look at your local ethnic stores.  They are also usually family owned small business.

• Like 2

My father served pinto beans a lot when I was a child and I swore I would never eat them again when I moved out but here I am46 and I crave them at least twice a week and when my kids come home from college they ask for them too. I like mine served over cornbread with onions and pepper rings . My kids also love black bean soup 3 cans of black beans one can Rotel masked up , it’s quick and easy .

• Like 3

Justmelome,  we tend towards canned beans because they are less work.  We, too, use beans, onions, and peppers over cornbread and/or rice but thanks for the black bean and Rotel idea.  

Recently all beans have gone up in price.  I believe it might be the year to go back to growing our own.  Being unable to tend our large container garden area we have lots of idle containers.  They are easy to grow, only taking attention to good soil for a good yield; don’’t take constant tending like many plants; and store easily. 😀

• Like 2

I love beans with cornbread.  Around here, everyone eats beans with rice.  That's a terrible thing to do to beans, and to rice.  :(

Remember you can cook beans and then dehydrate them for quick - cook beans.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ambergris said:

That's a terrible thing to do to beans, and to rice. 

😂🤣

Thanks for the reminder about cooking and then dehydrating beans.  I haven’t done that in years.  Now I’m wondering about dehydrating canned beans.  They are more expensive than cooking from scratch but we just got an excellent buy on canned black beans.  Will I lose a lot of nutrients?   :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Certain gas-producing carbohydrates will be lost, especially if you rinse off the aquafaba (can liquid).   Dried precooked beans are noticeably quieter to digest than cooked-from-dry.   I think it's black beans that are only kind of beans with a significant load of Vitamin A, and they have a higher load of Potassium than any other bean I can think of.  As far as I know, neither of these will be significantly impacted by drying and rehydrating the canned beans.

• Thanks 1