MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I am TRYING to eat dem beans!

Me too!! I'm really not a picky eater, but beans have never been my favorites. Finally, a couple of years back, I figured out that I liked cold, firm beans much better than "creamy" type beans.

Sam's club has big gallon glass jars of four bean salad that I like chilled. It has red kidney beans, green beans, garbanzo beans, and wax beans. There is white onion in there too, as well as spices, which obviously include vinegar.

I've seen canned bean salad in the groceries as well for smaller servings, but the big jars are cheaper...

When I get settled, I was thinking of trying this as one of my first adventures in canning. The texture of the beans is so firm that I'll bet anything that the beans are not pre-cooked prior to canning, but that's just my very UNeducated guess...

Any more recipes??? I'm all ears...

3-Bean Salad

1 can kidney beans-drained

1 can cut green beans-drained

1 can wax beans drained

Mix together in bowl with 1 bell pepper(any color)sliced thin and 1 small red onion sliced thin.

Add 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup oil,and 2/3 cup cider vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste. Chill till cold.

• 1 year later...

Did a search on "Texas Caviar"...

~~~

Texas Caviar (Black-eyed Pea Salsa or Salad)

Recipe by: Susan Voisin

This recipe makes a Texas-sized amount of salsa, so halve it if necessary.

2 cans (16 ounces each) blackeyed peas

2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) corn

1 red bell pepper, chopped

1 green bell pepper, chopped

1 large red onion, chopped

1-2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped

6 roma tomatoes

1 tbsp. minced chipotle pepper (canned in adobo sauce)

1 large clove garlic, crushed

2 tsp. salt (or to taste)

1 tsp. pepper

1/2 tsp. sugar

1 tbsp. Tabasco sauce

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 cup water (may use "Thick Water")

Drain and rinse black-eyed peas. Combine in a large bowl with corn, chopped peppers, onions, and tomatoes.

Mix chipotle pepper, water, vinegar, Tabasco, sugar, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over salad and stir gently to coat. Refrigerate for several hours to overnight before serving.

Serve as a dip with tortilla chips or as a salad.

http://www.fatfreevegan.com/appetizers/texas.shtml

~~~

"Texas Caviar" Salad

Ingredients

1 tablespoon cooking oil

2 yellow summer squash, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1-1/2 cups)

1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (about 2 tblsp.*)

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed

1 16-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained

1 green onion, sliced (2 Tbsp.)

1 teaspoon snipped fresh cilantro

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 medium tomatoes, cut into thin wedges

Directions

1. In a medium skillet heat oil; cook squash, peppers, garlic, and cumin, uncovered, for 8 minutes or until squash is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; let cool.

2. Combine squash mixture with peas, green onion, cilantro, and salt. Cover and chill up 4 to 24 hours. Toss tomato wedges with chilled pea and squash mixture before serving. Makes 4 side-dish servings.

*Note: Because hot peppers contain oils that can burn eyes, lips, and sensitive skin, wear plastic gloves while preparing them and be sure to wash hands thoroughly afterward.

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/salads/texas-caviar-salad/

~~~

Quick and Easy Texas Caviar Recipe

An easy vegetarian recipe for Texas caviar with black-eyed peas and hominy. Vegetarian Texas caviar is a Southern vegetarian favorite and is quick and easy to prepare. Just toss together all your ingredients and viola - you've got a vegetarian Texas caviar! Recipe courtesy of Bush's® Beans.

Ingredients:

2 15.8 ounce cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained

1 15.5. ounce can white hominy

1/3 cup olive oil

1/3 cup white vinegar

1 garlic clove, minced

2 green onions, minced

1 greed pepper, diced

1 red pepper, diced

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced

1/2 cup cheddar cheese, cubed

1/2 cup parsley, minced

salt and pepper to taste

fresh cilantro

Preparation:

Combine peas, hominy and remaining ingredients and refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight. If desired, serve with tortilla chips as appetizer or in lettuce cups as a salad

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetariana...texascaviar.htm

~~~

And 43 more recipes...

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,texas_caviar,FF.html

:blink:

And don't forget bean dips. There are dozens of recipes on the web for those too.

BTW - I'm linking this to that other thread too - we may lose our marbles sometimes - but a good prepper never misplaices their beans.

Oops.....wonder what that says about me and what I discovered this weekend...I knew I had bought more beans, just knew it. :whistling:

I am trying to eat them more than occasionally too. I have made a real effort to eat some once a week. Saturday I made lima beans with a nice meaty hambone. The only way I "like" them is in 2 bean salad. I don't hate them but I can't get excited about them either!

You might like to try this recipe in the slow cooker for lima beans:

Barbecued Lima Beans

1 pound dried lima beans -- (baby or regular size)

1 onion -- chopped

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

1 Tbsp mustard

2 tsp cider vinegar

3 Tbsp molasses -- (3 to 4)

3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp chili powder

1 Tbsp brown sugar

Soak beans overnight. Drain, reserving 2 1/2 - 3 cups of the liquid from the beans.

Combine all ingredients in Crock Pot including water from beans.

Cook on low 8 hours.

After I cut all the meat I could off a front leg from my sow I butchered, I cut the leg into three pieces at the joints. Cleaned off the foot real well and boiled it to bits. Took off the rest of the meat and put it back in the pot with navy beans, whole green peas, lentils and yellow split peas, when those were done I added dried onions, dried celery, dried mixed bell peppers and parboiled rice. I seasoned with salt and a little bit of jerky marinade.

This is good and I could probably eat it a couple times a month. I made a huge pot so I'll have to freeze some for later or can it. Prob just freeze it.

Peas and Corn Bread

When I was a kid, lunch very often was a hot ladle of black eyed peas served over a hot bowl of cornbread, with plenty of pea juice to moosh in with the bread. Here's something different:

1 qt frozen (or two cans) pink-eye purple hulls or black eyed peas

1 pt bag frozen niblet corn

1/2 pint salsa (more if you like, but drain it if you add more)

1 cup oil-and-vinegar salad dressing (Caesar is good, as is Italian. Creamy dressings like ranch work, but look funky)

1 clove garlic, minced, if you have any

Lightly cook the peas if frozen. If canned, drain and rinse.

Dump everything together in a bowl and refrigerate at least half a day.

For lunch, make a big pan of crusty, crunchy cornbread, preferably with bacon grease in it. If your cornmeal is white or floury, throw in a half cup of yellow grits to give it texture.

Crumble a handful of cornbread in your bowl and stir in the chilled beans. If you want to be fancy, put a dollop of yogurt or creme fraiche or Mexican sour cream on top.

Abigail, the beans in the stores have calcium chloride added. That is a firming agent that we also use in pickles. It is also in canned potatoes, all sorts of things.

I like kidney beans the best in taco soup. Getting to be that time of year for soups.

Then, of course, beans in burritos. A jar of green tomato salsa, a jar of homecanned beef, and some beans. Good eating !

Skillet Cornbread

Very generously grease a medium sized cast iron skillet, maybe 10 inches across, preferably with bacon drippings. Butter will burn. If you have a choice of a larger or smaller skillet, choose the larger. Thin cornbread cooks just fine and has extra crunch.

Put in oven and turn knob to 400. Listen for it to hit a sizzle while you measure:

2 cups of cornmeal, preferably water-ground or coarsely ground. If not, substitute a little bit of yellow grits for some of the cornmeal

1/2 cup Bisquick

Beat one egg into

2 cups buttermilk (or sour milk) as if scrambling.

Stirring in a spoonful or so more of bacon grease won't hurt a bit

If you don't have an egg, add a little more grease and expect it to be heavier, but it will still be okay.

Stir wet into dry, leaving lumps.

Do you hear the sizzle yet? Pour batter into sizzling pan. If it glops and needs scraping instead of pouring like grainy pudding and needing just a little finger-wipe to get out of the bowl, put a note in your mind you'll need to add a trifle more liquid for your conditions. If it needs help lying down in the pan, just smear it out. It will be a little crumblier this time, but you can fix it next time.

Cook for about 20 minutes, or until the bread has a dark brown ring that has pulled away from the pan. If this is rather more or less than 20 minutes, make a note for your oven, your pan, and your ingredients.

Edited by Ambergris

Oh, thank you !! I already printed it out, as soon as I could copy and print it. Still in the printer.

I have been trying to figure out how to make this kind.

So easy, with Bisquick, too.

I am SO happy to have this recipe.

Hopefully I still have some stone ground cornmeal a gal in GA sent me. It was that sort of coarse type, ground at a local mill near her home.

• 1 year later...

Hummus is a great way to use garbanzo/chickpeas.

Here is an easy recipe http://mideastfood.about.com/od/appetizerssnacks/r/hummusbitahini.htm

Black beans and chickpeas make excellent veggie burgers. But pretty much any bean or lentil will do. Beans and lentils can also be used to extend ground meat, and re-fried beans mixed with ground turkey makes a much better burger, from what I recall.

http://www.veglite.com/2011/02/05/black-bean-chickpea-burgers

Hummus on a black bean burger is delicious.

My Mother used to make us Bean Burgers-take leftover baked beans-put on one half of a hamburger bun on a sheet pan-turn the other half of bun upside down beside the one with the beans and cover the beans with a slice of cheese.Put this under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese melts-watch carefully as you don't want it to burn.The other half of the bun will be nicely toasted.Beans out of a can or jar don't work as you want them nicely seasoned.its been a very long time since I was a child but I still love Bean Burgers to this day.

Pink kidney beans make really good burger patties. I like to mash at least half of them with a potato masher before forming a patty to quickly fry in bacon grease.

Half-mashed the same way, pink beans are really, really good in meatloaf.

Black eyed peas (canned, frozen, or fresh-picked) taste greener (less meaty, more vegetable-y) in a sandwich than pink beans do, but that might be because all my pink beans are dried and most of my black eyed peas (including the pinkeye purple hulls) aren't. Or it might be because I just mash leftover peas to a thick goop to spread over toasted bread, while with pink beans I like to make a patty and cook (or re-cook) it like a hamburger patty.

If he's from the South they are Butter Beans. Everywhere else they are Lima Beans, unless you are one to call them Madagascar Beans. :grinning-smiley-044:

Here's a possible recipe, but you will have to change the name.

Lima Beans With Bacon

Servings: 6

1 16 oz bag frozen lima beans

5 slices bacon

1/3 cup diced red onion

1/3 cup brown sugar

salt and pepper

1. 1. Boil the lima beans according to package (about 10-12 minutes-I used pressure cooker for 5 minutes).

2. 2. While beans are cooking fry bacon in a medium frying pan on medium heat until crisp and drain.

3. 3. Add the red onion and cook additional 5 minutes.

4. 4. Add lima beans, salt, and pepper to pan.

5. 5. Sprinkle brown sugar and stir.

6. 6. Add a couple Tablespoons water for saucier texture.

7. 7. Serve.

Prep Time:: 10 minutes

• 5 weeks later...

My DH went ga-ga for these and he always said he hated limas...

BUTTER BEANS (from The Hillbilly Housewife)

1 lb large lima beans

2 qt tap water

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 stick margarine

Soak beans overnight. Simmer soaked beans for about 1 hour, until almost, but not quite tender. Add salt, pepper and margarine. Keep simmering until tender but not mushy. The bean broth will thicken a bit. This is traditionally served with hoe cakes, or as a side with roast chicken. Recipe serves 6.

We serve with chicken, and the broth is so good we drink it as soup. Use a good flavored margarine - the original used butter, also tasty.