MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What did you can today? Part 2

MamaTiger

21 quarts of peaches and 34 pints of salsa..........I'm pretty tired! YAWN...But dang, they look great on the shelf. My hubby threatened to eat a jar of peaches, but I had my wooden spoon in hand and I gave him "the look" no He laughed all the way out of my fruit room.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I did 10 half pints of Mango Salsa. It's so pretty in the jars. I hope it tastes good. I had some once and loved it.

I'm looking for a peach salsa on the internet.

Next I hope to do Indian Relish. It has apples, onions and tomatoes. All of which I have.

Originally Posted By: RNMOM
21 quarts of peaches and 34 pints of salsa..........I'm pretty tired! YAWN...But dang, they look great on the shelf. My hubby threatened to eat a jar of peaches, but I had my wooden spoon in hand and I gave him "the look" no He laughed all the way out of my fruit room.

My grandpa would purposely push the lids and set the two or three aside...he wanted to eat them right away....my Grandma would get so mad at him, but he helped schlep the canners, jars, etc. up and down the stairs, so she figured he could have free license and open up a 'stragler' or two. It took her a few years before she realized WHY, no matter what, a jar or two wouldn't seal quite right....then one year she caught him at it....

Oh my.... But they loved each other and love does bear all things. smile
Originally Posted By: anewcreation
hello, not sure where to ask this question, but here goes. I'm just starting to learn about canning. Can anyone tell me how long canned meats/veggies/fruits store? If I'm in the wrong place just direct me where to go. thanks

Anewcreation, Ball blue book (and I believe the National Home Food Preservation Institute, though I can't find quote now), states that food will start to lose nutritive value and taste may change, after a year. But food will definitely keep longer than that. Just make sure to store in a dry cool place, out of sunlight.

Last week (a very bad week) I swore I'd never can anything again. But...the freezer is bulging, the dehydrator is loaded with pears, and there are hundreds of little red globes dripping from my tomato plants. So I gave canning another shot.

This time, I used the simplest way I could find: canning whole in their own juices. It went pretty well this time. Just tomatoes, lemon juice, and BWB. Now that I can handle!

Yeah Vlynn, I'm a big fan of easy. that's whY I did the raw pack pork as my first experiement. smile Cut up pork, put in jar, put on lid. Done. No broth, no cooking, etc. The mushrooms were a bit more complicated, but I think they'll be worth it. This weekend I'm planning on duck stock and Darlene's chicken soup. a LOT more work there, but I think that'll be worth it too. Hope so. wink

I'm just headed out to the garden with hubby, we're getting the rest of the corn. I'm going to can it as I'm dying for freezer space. I'm also going to pick a bunch of tomatoes and apples and see if I don't have enough for Indian Relish.

I love this time of year.

On Thursday, I canned tomatoes and dehydrated pears. Then Friday I decided to shake it up a bit, so I dehydrated tomatoes and canned pears. Today, all I did was load the dehydrator with tomatoes again. I'll be in the basement mudding drywall all afternoon for the room we're building.

My life is sooooo exciting..... rollingeyes

Mamatiger, I had the same issue finding pints today. FInally tracked some down at hardware store.

Have 14 pints of Darlene's chicken soup in PC right now. Ended up with a good amount of meat left over after I ran out of stock though, so at least some of stock that's on now, which was supposed to be a straight duck a la range(leftover carcass)/chicken stock, will probably end up in soup using up rest of the chicken meat.

Archived