MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What did you can today? Part 2

MamaTiger

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing. Not a darn thing! Bwa ha ha ha.

But tomorrow is green beans, so my garden will have the last laugh.

Actually, my pantry is beautiful with all the colors and textures from the hard work we've done the last few weeks. I really need to stop whining.

Canned 7 quarts of green beans and froze a couple of quarts of chili. We eat a lot of chili in the fall and winter so figured that making up some and sticking in the freezer would make some quick meals. Didn't want to use the pressure canner for it though since I didn't have much.

This week, I did 3 batches of dill relish (21 pints), and 2 batches of regular cucumber relish, 14 1/2 pints.

I daresay I didn't know HOW MUCH work relish was, but I SO LOVE my mandoline slicer! It took care of those cukes SO FAST!

Today, I dealt with the RIPE tomatoes on the counter, just under a box full. I got 15 pints and 2 pints of juice.

Then tonight, I bit the bullet and did some corn. Yes, I pressure-canned it... I just had too...

I processed 53 pints, yes, indeedy, it was a lot of shucking (and jiving too, haha)...the new kitten LOVED to chase the corn cobs over the floor and nom them...she just chewed and chewed! Poor thing is teething. She fell asleep with corn bits all over her face. I didn't get a picture because I was BUSY!

I did another 7 pints of salsa and 7 quarts of tomatoes. I froze 5 cups of pumpkin. We just got half a pig and half a cow. So, I made and canned 12 pints of pork stock. Next is the beef stock and I expect about 3 times as much as the pork. I also need to render the lard.

7 quarts of chili, and I have 7 or so more to do tomorrow morning. I had to wait for DH to get to the store to get me some tomato paste, and he didn't get home with it until almost 8- he had taken the kids to the fair, and they stayed hours longer than planned. I just pulled it out of the canner to cool, and I hope they all seal.

High Altitude. I haven't done it yet. Per Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living ( love that book) you slow cook it on the stove for 24 hours. Then you strain it through a fine sieve and place in jars. I can't wait to see how it will work for pie crusts and the like.

I was given 2 turkeys...YES. For free! I did my own happy dance!

banana

Unfortunately, they are taking too much freezer space and became a liability when one of them somehow shifted and caused the door to be ajar. The freezer alarm went off and I found the top rack of bread almost completely defrosted but everything else was safe. I pulled those bad boys and de-boned them. I got 9 pints of white meat and 4 of dark.

Not to mention, 2 lovely carcasses for boiling for turkey broth.

See my other thread "Disasters averted" for more news regarding this experience...YIKES!

Was actually yesterday, not today, but got out my PC for first time and turneed 12.5 lbs of boneless pork chops into 11 pints of raw pack pork I didn't have any vinegar, so got a bit of white haze on outside of the jars, but they sure do look nice on the counter. As of this morning, looks like all 11 sealed. laugh

Can really only can on weekends, as I'm normally out of the house at least 13 hours a day, but hope to try Darlene's chicken soup recipe this weekend. smile

This past week we bought 4 whole chickens at Sam's so we cut them up and I now have 1 quart of breasts, 2 quarts of leg quarters, 1 quart of leg pieces with 1 breast "mixed" and the backs are in the fridge to be debones, along with 2 quarts of broth.

Dora

Archived