MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What did you can today? Part 2

MamaTiger

I have a question: When canning pears, I made a medium syrup, cooked the pears in it, then packed the jars with the pears, and poured syrup over. There was a lot of leftover syrup. I ended up dumping it out - couldn't think what to do with it. I was wondering if it's OK to freeze it and use it later for canning another batch?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is duck/chicken stock.

Ended up being 9 pints and 2 1/2 pints.

Love this, as a year ago that all would ahve been garbage. Or at best, compost. Took remains of duck ala range mom made a couple months ago (been frozen), and remains of two chickens, including necks, that I used to make Darlene's chicken soup recipe.

Was worried that the chicken would overwhelm the duck flavor, even though the chicken was leftovers. Definitely duck flavor in the stock though.

Well, I'm feeling pretty proud of myself. I just took 7 pints of hamburger out of the pressure canner and I'm getting ready to put 4 quarts and 1 pint of meatballs in. I've also got a huge batch of spaghetti sauce simmering. I'll do that later this afternoon.

Aren't we all about out of produce? I do have 2 bushels of peaches coming this weekend. I guess there are still apples to do. Oh, and my tomatoes are finally starting to ripen beautifully if I can hold off the frost.

Well, last Monday I canned just over 3 dozen qts of Pears....

Today, I found some tomato sauce in the freezer (from the big Freezer Death last week) and turned it into Marinara (8 pts)

I had peach juice for 8 pints of peach jelly.

Violet gave me some homemade grape juice and I made 17 pts of grape jelly.

Today was a blast for I used Pomona's Pectin. I've never used it before so I had to go to a health food store to get it. My jelly has never been so perfect!

I used apple juice and a bit of natural sweetener. Mmmmmm....quite tasty if I do say so myself! yumyum

TODAY's LESSON: Always TASTE the jelly before canning the product. I had to toss 8 lids and re-do the peach, for I thought I had tasted it but the phone rang. I also read the Stevia conversions wrong and it was really terrible! yuk Added some apple juice and a bit more sweetener and PERFECT!

It was great because I learned how to re-do jam...I never could do this right with other pectins, particularly MCP, for some reason.

My friend gave me 1/2 box of green beans and a pile of carrots, so I added a few carrots from the fridge.

I got 20 pints of green beans and 4 pints of carrots. banana

I've also been cooking TONS of apples for applesauce...and am using the life out of my Squeezo... clap ...I don't think my kitchen floor will ever be the same.

Miracle of miracles, my DH has offered to run the apple-peeler-slicer-corer for dehydrating apples. Knock me over with a feather! I don't think he knows exactly HOW MUCH labor is involved.... happy02

Didn't get to can anything today, but gave away 6 jars to parents (2 pints of darlene's chicken soup, 3 pts of duck/chicken stock, and 2 1/2 pints of violet's marinated mushrooms). Also opened up three more jars of the mushrooms to make a pasta salad. slicced up mushrooms into the salad, and using the brine for the sauce. Having a housewarming party, that'll be part of dish. smile

Got one more batch of tomato sauce in the pot cooking, will can that later.

Picked up the apples today, will be starting on apple sauce, etc Monday. Taking Sunday off.

Archived