MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The Gift of MrsSurvival

Stephanie

Hi friends, we'll all be busy about now preparing and receiving gifts - 'tis the season! smile I was thinking that it might be nice to start a thread that gives us the opportunity to mention the 'gift' of MrsSurvival in our lives. What have you received from this home on the net? Perhaps a certain thread that really meant a lot to you? A member who really went out of their way to help you? A skill you developed, an interest, some information?

I think that it would be so neat to hear how MrsSurvival has impacted our lives.

The first gift that I have received from MrsS is the gift of friendship! I have come to know and admire people from all over the country (and world) that I would likely have never crossed paths with otherwise. So thank you MrsSurvival for being the 'connection' that I have needed and enjoyed so much!

I'll add more later, but want to hear what some of you have to say too! grouphug

Mrs S is where I learned that it's okay for a chick to tote a pistol (legally).

Mrs S is where I learned that lots of lightbulbs aren't what we need...it's FLASH-light bulbs! rofl - and lamp oil!

Mrs S is where I've gotten support through one of the most difficult personal events I've encountered.

Mrs S is where I've been able to offer prayers and support to my sisters who are in need.

Mrs S is where I learned about mylar and O2 absorbers.

Mrs S is the one place where I can truely be me. I may not be forthright about my identity and location, but the personality that you see...well, it's 100% me (for better or worse).

Thank you Stephanie, for starting this positive thread! bighug

I learned to pressure can! canning I wouldn't have even thought to be on the look out for a pressure canner. I found my All American canner at the thrift store for $13!

Thank you to all of those that held my hand through the canning of my first batch of chicken broth a few years back..... bouquet

Another Gift of MrsS has been the Gift of Knowledge. dee

I have learned so much here, I could never list it all! But here's a few things...

1. How to grease a chickens foot! Thank you Necie!

2. How to make sweet potato oven fries! Thank you Darlene!

3. How to count backwards in Russian! Thank you Louis!

4. How to care for my goat who had his horn partially torn off! Thank you Westie!

5. How to bake a good piece of Swai! Thank you Rezgirl

6. How to encourage my children to be themselves! Thank you Ginger!

7. How to shoot a Mosin Nagant! Thank you WormGuy!

8. How to properly hold a handgun! Thank you Trip!

9. How to sprout many foods! Thank you Kevin!

10. How to decorate a cave! Thank you Mother!

11. How to survive an ice storm! Thank you Judy!

12. How to make the best of what you have! Thank you Arby!

13. How to make gorgeous cut out cookies! Thank you Ol'momma!

14. How to get the the Eye Foundation! Thank you Mt3b!

15. How to walk with two sticks, instead of one! Thank you Denim!

16. How to be a peace maker! Thank you Shandy!

17. The difference between hollow point bullets! Thank you OMB!

18. The reasons behind the rules of safe canning! Thank you Violet!

19. The love that a quilt can produce! Thank you MomM

20. The joy of answered prayer! Thank you Angela!

21. The attitude of generosity! Thank you C4C!

22. The value of committment! Thank you Cat!

I'm going to stop, but that's no where near touching all the many, many, things that I've learned, nor the people I've learned them from!

MrsSurvival is a special place filled with special people!

grouphug

Oh wow, where to start! There is so much....

1. To not be afraid to pressure can chicken. I now have a shelf full of lovely canned chicken in my Harvest Room thanks to all of you holding my terrified hand through the process. (And it is GOOD, too, lol).

2. To not be afraid to try new methods, techniques, etc. A little bit of risk is not a bad thing and can bring us out of our 21st-century-convenience-oriented-stupor.

3. To continue to take my skill levels one step further, and one step further from that...etc.

4. To prep in threes. Thanks, DenimDaze, for that wonderful piece of very, very useful advice.

5. And certainly not last...that there just isn't any other place like this! The hand of friendship that has been extended to me during the time I have been here (wow, a year already!) has been priceless.

I don't know of any other place on the internet that has people checking in on you to see if you are okay, like this one does, if you don't post for a while. Truly heart-touching.

Love you all!

(((hugs)))

(((ol'momma)))

That was so precious! You brought a tear to my eye!

Another Gift of MrsSurvival, the Gift of Encouragement!

When I have grown discouraged in areas of my life, I have often received encouragement here at MrsSurvival.

Although I have always loved to write, I never seemed to be able to complete a story! ashamed But, thanks to the encouragment of MrsSurvival I finished three! I will be attending a writer's conference in the Spring and hope to actually do something about this life long dream of mine. thanks

Homeschooling is a blessing but can become heavy at times. Many times I have been encouraged to try a different method, keep trying, enjoy my children, and regained my focus here are MrsSurvival.

Owning a fire arm, but not being familiar enough with it to use it confidently was not a good situation. But, here at MrsS I have been encouraged to learn more, practice more and now would be much better able to defend myself and my family.

When facing personal struggles and issues I have received encouragement spiritually here at MrsSurvival. We have enormous prayer support and wonderful nuggets from the Scriptures on a regular basis.

Stephanie, this is a wonderful thread. It is what Mrs. S should be about.

I'll add more later but I wanted you to know how much I appreciate this thread.

bighug

The Gift MrsSurvival has given me is a safe harbor.

Out of all the places I've been, this is the only one where I have not felt or been threatened.

To me that is the greatest gift MrsS has given me, with a side helping of knowledge sprinkled with understanding and a stocking full of genuine love.

thanks

MrsS is a place that is indeed focused on the WHOLE person - physical, emotional, and spiritual; and is, in her own unique way, a hard-core prep site, but not completely focused on weaponry, or defense, etc. like many of the survival or prep sites on the 'net.

The ladies here are REAL. The stories are REAL, the prayers, emotions, and laughter are REAL. The knowledge base of the ladies here is absolutely INCREDIBLE and expansive, covering anything imaginable and some things I never would have otherwise thought of.

MrsS isn't an argumentative site, with idiots who always have to have the last word and people playing the one-upman-ship game. Everyone shares freely of their knowledge and encourages each other wherever they are at in their individual process of growth.

I can't begin to list what I've learned, for I always add to my knowledge every day.

bighug

A safe harbor indeed!! Well said! Thank you Annarchy!

C4C, REAL, that just about sums it up doesn't it. What an awesome observation!

Mother, I can't wait to read what you will post. Having been a part of MrsSurvival for so long, I know you've seen many, many gifts that she has given her members.

grouphug

Originally Posted By: serendipity

2. To not be afraid to try new methods, techniques, etc. A little bit of risk is not a bad thing and can bring us out of our 21st-century-convenience-oriented-stupor.

3. To continue to take my skill levels one step further, and one step further from that...etc.

4. To prep in threes. Thanks, DenimDaze, for that wonderful piece of very, very useful advice.

5. And certainly not last...that there just isn't any other place like this! The hand of friendship that has been extended to me during the time I have been here (wow, a year already!) has been priceless.

I don't know of any other place on the internet that has people checking in on you to see if you are okay, like this one does, if you don't post for a while. Truly heart-touching.

Love you all!

(((hugs)))

Ditto to all the above but I must have missed DeminDaze's advise about doing things in threes. Could someone please fill me in.

p.s. I didn't copy #1 because even though I have all new canning supplies I still have not used them. I fear blowing up my kitchen or killing my family with my first 'attempts' at canning. It is a fear that a vow to conquer in the New Year.

Blessings,
bb

MrsS has reminded me of things I used to know and taught me many things that I never thought I would need to do. Also the gift of friendship and the opportunity to speak my piece in a non judgemental arena.( Doesn't happen often in the real world). Still have so much to learn-Thank you everyone!

This place has reminded me over and over that no matter what you know, there is always something else to learn from others. This place is humbling because the combined knowledge of the community is amazing--and the generosity of those who share it is even more wonderful.

This place has restored my faith in online community more than a little bit.

This place has reminded me of the power of forgiveness.

And finally, it has exalted canning to the status of an Olympic sport for me, LOL. Nowhere else have I found people who adore canning as much as I do.

(((friends))) Your posts are making me feel warm and fuzzy all over. That's a nice feeling on this cold morning and two days before Christmas! grouphug

Here's another gift that MrsSurvival has given me. The Gift of Relating and Identifying. There may be another better word to say what I mean, but that's the best I can come up with pre-coffee.

There have been soooo many times that I have faced an unusual issue of some sort that the people that I know in real life can't relate to. Once I was extremely discouraged about one of our children we were fostering and planning to adopt. One of our members who had faced similar circumstances was an absolute God Sent Life Line to me at that time. That's just one example.

If you're scared to can the first time, a dozen hands will shoot up and say, "me too! I was scared the first time." If you are facing the untimely death of a loved one, support from many who have been there is offered. If you are feeling overwhelmed because of financial circumstances, others who have faced that extend a hand of friendship. It seems to me, no matter what you're facing, there's someone here at MrsSurvival who can relate and identify with that crisis and then lovingly hold your hand as you face it.

loveplace

For me it's the realness of MrsS that makes it so special. The real problems, prayer requests, tears, sharing special happenings in our lives, giving and getting encouragement, help learning new things. It gives you the feeling that even though we all have different and cute screen names, we are all real. And if I came to the door of your house and told you who I was, I would be greated warmly, with a hug. I believe I would find you at home just as you portray yourself here. Not much would be different. It gives MrsS a more homey feel, like that of a small town where people care about each other and help out where they can. That's what makes this place so special to me. bighug

Q

#1 All of the above....including hand-holding during canning.... starcanning

#2 It is my way out of being house-bound thru my disability. I REALLY don't get out much. This has saved my sanity. [MtRider ....the batty old woman talking all day long to her cat, yelling at her dog, muttering to her beloved hooligan goats, discussing world peace with her beloved old horse, and......well no, even *I* don't talk to ducks... duck ] Now I talk to FRIENDS and am always updated on national and global events. I have rejoined the world. grouphug

#3 It is also where I can find people who think I'm NORMAL......

....when I speak of stocking up for hard times, folks cheer.

....when I say I want to produce my own eggs, veggies, and milk no one gets a deer-in-headlights look and says "WHY?"

....when I mention homemade laundry detergent, no one puts a box of Tide on my doorstep.

....when I get all excited to find a great garage-sale backpack for a BOB, no one points out that I can barely walk to the corner so why do I need a backpack?

....when I say I have a 6" fixed blade/clip point on my EDC belt, most everyone knows what I mean and no one would get bug-eyed if they ever saw me wear it. [for digging up my turnips from the frozen ground, yanno ]

......when I type a frantic post in Streams about being alone at nite with low temperatures expected around MINUS 20 and a furnace that was malfunctioning, everyone jumped in to pray for my Protection and encourage and [cookiejar] make me laugh.

....when I type a post that reveals some of my inner feelings/struggles about my disability, sisters {& a few brothers, bless you} join in to say that they have these struggles too.

....when I mention God and His blessings, folks join in praising Him and listing their blessings too.

...when I post a prayer request, I know you all have my back.

Do you know how few situations I have experienced in my whole life where I have felt "NORMAL"?????? I coulda earned a Girl Scout badge in being 'different'. laughkick It's so much more efficient to communicate with those that actually could finish your sentences. woohoo

Thanks Darlene and Cat and Westie and Snowmom and MotherEarth and Dee and Lois and MountainMommy and all the rest of you really long-timers that have kept this site going thru thick and thin. cheer

MtRider coffee2 [and you don't even expect me to spel korectly ]

These posts are so encouraging. I hope that Darlene gets a chance to read them and realize how much we appreciate MrsSurvival. I'm sure she already knows, but doesn't hurt to hear it again. smile

MtRider, you said "I have rejoined the world". That was great description.

I am home a LOT, I homeschool my children and am not employed outside the home, can't even attend church as regularly as I'd like to ( dh's work schedule, etc.)

I have learned so much here about current events and policies that I had just lost connection with. I remember when the Georgia Crisis happened, I couldn't wait to read what Louis and others had to say about it. (are you blushing Louis) We don't always agree, I have to form my own opinions, but it's so good to read the discussions even if I don't know enough to be a part of them.

So, yes, another gift that MrsSurvival has given me is the gift of Increased Awareness and Understanding of the world outside my own little corner of it.

I have thought long and hard on the Gift of Mrs. Survival. So many have echoed my same sentiments on why I love this place and its members. Mrs. Survival is a grand lady and she is comprised of each one of us. But I believe mostly the gift she has given to me is ACCEPTANCE.

Acceptance of myself: that it is okay to stock my pantry and make sure that my family will long survive whatever comes what may because we were prepared. Others may think it crazy but I can come here and be accepted for the call on my life.

That in itself is a wonderful gift.....but it keeps getting better.

Acceptance of others : I have learned the value of coming here in a diverse group of members and find acceptance and also extend acceptance to others who are very different than I. Many of us have very different backgrounds, values, beliefs,faiths, economic and political statures. Some of our members are not even from the USA and give great perspective on how we may look to the rest of the world. All the while, we can do so in a manner of respect and acceptance for one another. That to me is priceless gift!!

Thank you, Mrs. Survival for being a gift to me for over 10 years! You are a Captivating Lady! Merry Christmas!

Bless you, Darlene, for allowing her to influence the lives of so many! Mrs. Survival is beautiful inside and out, just as you are to all of us!

That is absolutely lovely and well put Ginger!

MrsSurvival is a Grand Lady! Ginger you nailed it, yes she is!

Another Gift of MrsS to me has been the Gift of Affirmation. So many times I get a pat on the back, a 'job well done', an 'I admire this about you', or 'you deserve a break'. These comments usually come at just the right time when I need them most.

My dh is the most devoted husband in the world, but he's not one for flowery words. I knew I was marrying a 'man of few words' but still...sometimes you just like to 'hear' it, ya' know?

I may try a new recipe and share it here, others will say, "That sounds great!" "I'm going to try that!" "What a great idea!"

Dh shows his approval by eating a second bowl. smile But, it is often my MrsSurvival buddies who applaud, commend and generally notice my efforts!

grouphug

Archived