MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hi, I'm New Here...

Horsebait

I've been reading on Mrs. Survivor for a few months now but this will be my first post. I just wanted to kind of introduce myself.

I am 18 years old and live in north-east Texas with my parents and five siblings.(I'm the second born) We live on 51 acres that we jointly own with my grandparents.(they are building there house right now) God brought us from a Big city to right outside a tiny town about two years ago. My mom knows tough times are coming so she has been working really hard to build up our farm. I think my dad has no idea? My grandparents know the economy is in trouble but don't seem to be preparing at all? So far God has blessed our "farm" with a jersey momma and baby, couple of meat cows, chickens, some Nubian goats, horses. Some things in the garden are starting to spring up as well. There is so much we need to be prepared but I thankful for what we have already been given. :)

I came here to learn how to prepare. (plus I've always wanted to live a "simpler" life) I thank God that he has given me eyes to see and ears to hear. "Change" is coming, but it will not be for the better. (unless God uses the hardships to come to turn Americans back to Him) America is in BIG trouble. I'm not sure what exactly will happen or when but it has to be soon. May God all his children the grace to endure and learn from the things to come.

What can I do to help my family prepare? What should we prep for first? I'm thinking we really need a water filter (water is plentiful year long here but its defiantly un-drinkable :yuk: ), more heirloom seeds, and more grain to start with? What is in a 72 hour kit? Please give any suggestions you may have.

I'm glad to be here. Thank you for letting me join! :D

Welcome!

You are smart to start out so young! I still consider myself a beginner, but I would focus on the three things you always will need. Food, water and shelter.

If you need to start out little due to finances I would start with learning how to preserve food, especially with all your land. If you start soon by the time you are growing your own food you will know how to preserve it. Making jam, canning fruit is pretty simple to do and a great learning experience, and a water bath canner only costs about $20.

I am sure you will be a great help to your mom,, she is lucky to have you!

I've been reading on Mrs. Survivor for a few months now but this will be my first post. I just wanted to kind of introduce myself.

I am 18 years old and live in north-east Texas with my parents and five siblings.(I'm the second born) We live on 51 acres that we jointly own with my grandparents.(they are building there house right now) God brought us from a Big city to right outside a tiny town about two years ago. My mom knows tough times are coming so she has been working really hard to build up our farm. I think my dad has no idea? My grandparents know the economy is in trouble but don't seem to be preparing at all? So far God has blessed our "farm" with a jersey momma and baby, couple of meat cows, chickens, some Nubian goats, horses. Some things in the garden are starting to spring up as well. There is so much we need to be prepared but I thankful for what we have already been given. :)

I came here to learn how to prepare. (plus I've always wanted to live a "simpler" life) I thank God that he has given me eyes to see and ears to hear. "Change" is coming, but it will not be for the better. (unless God uses the hardships to come to turn Americans back to Him) America is in BIG trouble. I'm not sure what exactly will happen or when but it has to be soon. May God all his children the grace to endure and learn from the things to come.

What can I do to help my family prepare? What should we prep for first? I'm thinking we really need a water filter (water is plentiful year long here but its defiantly un-drinkable :yuk: ), more heirloom seeds, and more grain to start with? What is in a 72 hour kit? Please give any suggestions you may have.

I'm glad to be here. Thank you for letting me join! :D

a 72 hour kit is also referred to as a BOB = Bug Out Bag.... a back pack that has everything you need for 3 days.

there are several things you can get cheaply to filter water. Charcoal is cheap and easy to find. Charcoal for fishtanks! yep.. you will need to rinse it to wash off the dust before using.. the water will be blackish at first... just refilter it.

Pretty easy really.... a stock pot... you know the ones mom makes stews in? a colander that you use to drain pasta. Now, put charcoal in a pillow case and rest it in the colander. Place colander in the stock pot (a 5-gallon bucket is better) and pour water through. Charcoal will filter out lots of stuff and change the flavor of awful tasting water.

Buy a brita water filter .. but pretty expensive. We used to have a how to make a Berkey filter here...

besides the usual food.. personal items, extra glasses, medicines, clothes for the little ones, birthday candles, little presents put away... depending on age, army men, jacks, pick up sticks, puzzles, crayons and etc. for holidays.

Learn to can!

welcome!

Horsebait I am so impressed that you are interested in such things at such a young age, good for you! And welcome!!

I don't know what your mom already has in place so some of what I suggest may already be accomplished.

One possible plan is to start with the 72 hr kit which would be 3 days of food/water/medicine/whatever and put it in a big tub or in backpacks (which could become BOB's).

Next, do the same thing for 30 days. It can be as simple as buying extra cans of soup and raviolis and some powdered milk and poptarts ( according to what your family eats). And enough water to drink and take care of hygiene and cleaning.

If your mom already has these types of things in place for your family, which would be preps for a short crisis lasting no longer than one month, you may be reading to move on to some skills that you can develop that would be of great help to your family.

Animal husbandry for the newly acquired animals that you have on your new place. The goats will need hoof care, worming, horns or scurs trimmed or removed, kidding, freshening, milking, etc...

Learning about alternative medicines using available herbs that may be right there on your land could be a life saving skill to have.

Home preservation of foods, canning, drying, etc... would be immensely valuable in the days to come for instance.

I hope this gives you a few ideas as to where to start. Ask as many questions as you care to, we're here to help.

GOODMORNINGDOGS2.jpg

welcomewelovenewmembers.jpg glad you joined.

Here you will find a plan to spend $20.00 a week on supplies. :)http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showforum=44

Someplace in here there should be a list of the first 100 things to disappear. Since I couldn't find it, I am adding it from my 'Word' program. :)

100 Items To Disappear

First In A Panic

By Joseph Almond

5-21-6

#1. Generators (Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky. Noisy.. target of thieves; maintenance, etc.)

#2. Water Filters/Purifiers (Shipping delays increasing.)

#3. Portable Toilets (Increasing in price every twomonths.)

#4. Seasoned Firewood (About $100 per cord; wood takes 6 - 12 mos. to become dried, for home uses.)

#5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)

#6. Coleman Fuel (URGENT $2.69-$3.99/gal. Impossible to stockpile too much.)

#7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots

#8. Hand-Can openers & hand egg beaters, whisks (Life savers!)

#9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugars

#10. Rice - Beans - Wheat (White rice is now $12.95

- 50# bag. Sam's Club, stock depleted often.)

#11. Vegetable oil (for cooking) (Without it food burns/must be boiled, etc.)

#12. Charcoal & Lighter fluid (Will become scarce suddenly.)

#13. Water containers (Urgent Item to obtain. An size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY)

#14. Mini Heater head (Propane) (Without this item, propane won't heat a room.)

#15. Grain Grinder (Non-electric)

#16. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur by September, 1999.)

#17. Michael Hyatt's Y2K Survival Guide (BEST single y2k handbook for sound advice/tips.)

#18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)

#19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula/ointments/aspirin, etc

#20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)

#21. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)

#22. Vitamins (Critical, due 10 Y2K-forced daily canned food diets.)

#23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is dangerous without this item.)

#24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products

#25. Thermal underwear (Tops and bottoms)

#26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets & Wedges (also, honing oil)

#27. Aluminum foil Reg. & Hvy. Duty (Great Cooking & Barter item)

#28. Gasoline containers (Plastic or Metal)

#29. Garbage bags (Impossible to have too many.)

#30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, paper towels

#31. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake liquid every 3 to 4 months.)

#32. Garden seeds (Non-hybrid) (A MUST)

#33. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)

#34. Coleman's Pump Repair Kit: 1(800) 835-3278

#35. Tuna Fish (in oil)

#36. Fire extinguishers (or.. large box of Baking soda in every room...)

#37. First aid kits

#38. Batteries (all sizes... buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)

#39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies

#40. BIG DOGS (and plenty of dog food)

#41. Flour, yeast & salt

#42. Matches (3 box/$1 .44 at WalMart: "Strike Anywhere" preferred. Boxed, wooden matches will go first.)

#43. Writing paper/pads/pencils/solar calculators

#44. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime)

#45. Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts

#46. Flashlights/LIGIITSTICKS & torches, "No. 76 Dietz" Lanterns

#47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (Jot down ideas, feelings, experiences: Historic times!)

#48. Garbage cans Plastic (great for storage, water transporting - if with wheels)

#49. Men's Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, etc

#50. Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)

#51. Fishing supplies/tools

#52. Mosquito coils/repellent sprays/creams

#53. Duct tape

#54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes

#55. Candles

#56. Laundry detergent (Liquid)

#57. Backpacks & Duffle bags

#58. Garden tools & supplies

#59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies

#60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.

#61. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)

#62. Canning supplies (Jars/lids/wax)

#63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel

#64. Bicycles... Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc.

#65. Sleeping bags & blankets/pillows/mats

#66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)

#67. Board Games Cards, Dice

#68. d-Con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer

#69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets

#70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks...)

#71. Baby Wipes, diapers, tampons, oils, waterless & Anti-bacterial soap (saves a lot of water)

#72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.

#73. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)

#74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)

#75. Soysauce, vinegar, boullions/gravy/soup base

#76. Reading glasses

#77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)

#78. "Survival-in-a-Can"

#79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens

#80. BSA - New 1998 - Boy Scout Handbook (also, Leader's Catalog)

#81. Roll-on Window Insulation Kit (MANCO)

#82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky

#83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts

#84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)

#85. Lumber (all types)

#86. Wagons & carts (for transport to & from open Flea markets)

#87. Cots & Inflatable mattresses (for extra guests)

#88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.

#89. Lantern Hangers

#90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws, nuts & bolts

#91. Teas

#92. Coffee

#93. Cigarettes

#94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc.)

#95. Paraffin wax

#96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.

#97. Chewing gum/candies

#98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)

#99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs

#100. Goats/chickens

Yes, learn to can. If oyu don't have a pressure canner, here is the url for the All American Canner: http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/americancans.htm

Be sure to use the Ball Blue Book when you are canning. :) They don't cost to much, I've had mine for a few years now, but, it seems to me I've seen them for around $5.00 yet.

It is not often we find the younger people wanting to learn these things, you are doing the best thing by being there with your mom and helping her. :)

With the amount of land you are talking about, you could have a very large garden. Goats are less expensive to keep than cows, but, the beef has more meat than the goat.

Do a lot of reading in this forum: http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showforum=11

Again, :welcome: to Mrs. S. :)

haveagooddaywithflowers.gifHUGSMOUSEINSUGAR.gif

Hi from the UK, over the ocean.

I wish Id been into this at your age. Iv only been in the forum for a short while, but Iv found it to be friendly, kind, compassionate and very knowledgeable. Im having a whale of a time prepping but be warned this forum is very addictive. LOL!

Hello and welcome to Mrs.S. I am from east of Dallas a bit. I am so proud of you for stepping to help make preparations

for your family. Glad you decided to post!

:wave: , Welcome to Mrs. S. It's really wonderful to hear of a young person wanting to be prepared and to help their family do so as well. You have come to a good place to start.

:bighug2:

Thank you all for your warm welcomes, suggestions and helpful information!

Westbrook, that water filter sounds so quick and easy! I wonder how clean charcoal the water? We have a pond we could get water out of in an emergency, but it's bottom is totally clay so the water is colored brown. (doesn't stop us from swimming in it though :rolleyes: )

Drilling another well is free for us (besides materials) because my grandpa owns a well-driller. I think a hand water pump would be a good idea, but one of those plus all the pipe would be really expensive?

I had been asking my mom if we could get a Berkley water filter, thank you Lele for posting that link on how to make your own! I wonder if we can find a spot to put it? Our house, especially the kitchen is pretty small, maybe in the dining room though...

Stephanie, I had just bought some heirloom herb seeds, but I don't know how to use them.

Does anyone know of a good book that teaches how to use medicinal herbs and/or edible plant identification?

The farmer down the road has pressure canners he will let us barrow. Lord willing, this summer, a lady in our Church will teach us and another family how to can pickles.(she makes the BEST pickles!)

We only go grocery shopping every three or four weeks, as my mom hates shopping. So having 30 days of food wouldn't be that much more. We have bought five gallon buckets of wheat, oats, lintels and beans from emergency essentials. We store those in the tool barn. Tiny pantry+ eight heavy eaters = not enough room.

Thank you everyone! I'm so glad to be here!

i've actually got a couple berkey filters and I highly recommend them. I bought a big berkey for my kitchen, but I also made one for when I go camping to save a little cash. I spent like $400 total, which is not neccessarily cheap, but they've lasted for a couple years already, and I know I'm gonna get at least 3 or 4 more years out of them. You can't beat that value for such a good filter imo.

Hello Horsebait and welcome.

I'm a horse rider myself out in the Colorado Rockies. I've been prep-minded since I was a kid. You've got a great start.

Check out the Are You Really Ready [RURR] forum for the basics of prepping.

About your grain in 5 gallon buckets...in the tool barn...in NE TX...... Maybe your mom already knows and has taken all the precautions to keep that grain as cool as possible. Heat has a negative effect on how long most foods last for storage. [things like sugar, baking soda, etc are the exceptions] So storage in a hot place like TX is a real challenge. Go on down to RURR and post a question about that and the Southern folks will have a lot of suggestions, if you need them. Also, there are already a lot of existing threads talking about how to get the best results from your bucket storage....try the search function to find them. Ask, if you can't find them. [i'm pathetic at finding old threads that I'm searching for....LOL ] Example: Never store buckets directly on cement or the ground. Get them up an inch or more on wood/plastic.

MtRider :wave:

Hi Horsebait, you've come to the right place for answers! Welcome :D

MOTO

Welcome from another Texan! Wow, such excellent information on here. I, too, want to get a water filter but the ones I have seen have been expensive. And don't you have to change the filters often, making it even more expensive? I drink about 1/2 gal at work and about the same, maybe a little less in the evenings. I keep refilling water containers and rotating them in the fridge. :wub:

Example: Never store buckets directly on cement or the ground. Get them up an inch or more on wood/plastic.

How does storing the buckets on concrete negatively effect the plastic buckets? I need to know so I can tell my mom why we need to put them on top of something. (they are sitting on concrete right now :o )

Thank you everyone for your welcomes and advise!

Concrete will transfer the temperature extremes and that will cause condensation (moisture) within the bucket.....leading to rot.

I *DO* wish places that sell the big quantities of buckets-of-grains would make this point clear for their customers!

We've got tons of threads in RURR about bucket storage.....lots of great information/ideas.

You are going to be a great help to your family if you are able to research some of these finer points of preparedness. :thumbs:

MtRider

Archived