MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

~~Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving Give Away~~

PoGo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got all of the books mailed out this morning! :woohoo:

The postman said the books would reach the destination in four to six days, but I find their delivery estimates off, and it usually takes longer than stated. Anyway, I added a delivery confirmation to the package, so I could keep track of when they're delivered. :bounce:

Enjoy!

:canning::canning::canning:

PoGo you are so sweet!

Well, I already have a copy of the book, and I'm too late to enter anyway, but I thought I'd add a canning story just because. :D

One year my hubby noticed that we were completely out of strawberry jam waaaay before strawberry season rolled around again the following summer. Well, this was UNACCEPTABLE in his eyes (bless his heart) so he decided that however many pounds of strawberries I had been getting, we needed to at least double.

So he took our children strawberry picking early one morning.

And came home with EIGHTY-SEVEN POUNDS of strawberries. :blink:

Did I mention he did this on a day that the temperature was expected to reach 102*? :knary:

I spent the whole afternoon in the kitchen, processing load after load after load of strawberry jam. I had to send him to the store to get more sugar and pectin, because I had NOT expected to need quite as much as I ended up using! I ended up with over 100 jars of jam, PLUS I filled five gallon-sized freezer bags full of strawberries when I finally reached the point that I was going to collapse. :0327:

I didn't have to make strawberry jam again for three years. :icon19:

Pogo, you ROCK!!!! :band:

Thank you SO much...I can't believe that you have gone to all this trouble. What amazing generosity!

Oh, and Babysteps...very funny! :D I'll bet you were SICK of strawberries! hehe

Woohoo! mine came today!! :cele: Pogo you are a complete and total sweetheart! :kissy: Thank you so very much!! I've got to finish up peach jam tomorrow but I plan to try some new recipes from the book next week!! Yipee, I even overcame my fear of the pressure canner :canning: and have done pork loin and chicken in it now!! Guess it really never is too late to teach an old dog new tricks.

Here are the changes that I have noticed so far with the new book:

Name Change:

Old: Ball Blue Book of Preserving

New: Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving

Featured Recipes all changed

Recipe Changes:

pg 38 - Herbed Garden Marmalade (added)

pg 41 - Western Specials Preserves (added)

pg 56 - Pickled Asparagus (removed)

pg 57 - Squash Pickles (removed)

pg 68 - Red Onions w/Honey (added)

pg 68 - Stew Vegetables (removed)

pg 76 - Mango Relish (added)

pg 76 - Pepper-Onion Relish (removed)

pg 86 - Crab Apple Pickles (added)

pg 86 - Cranberry-Apple Relish (removed)

pg 100 - Savory Pastry Crust (added)

pg 100 - Tomato Ketchup (removed)

pg 114 - Fruit Crisp Dessert (removed)

The page numbers listed are in the new book so if you are looking for the removed recipes in the old book go by the page content rather than the page number.

For those stuck for now with the Ball Blue Book of Preserving, don't fret. There really isn't that much difference. Directions are the same though I have not gone into minute details. I will leave that up to someone with better eyes.

Thanks, Nerdie. That was nice you did that for us and posted it. Perhaps I should print off the changes and put the page inside my new book.

That's what I did, but using as a bookmarker right now.....after removing all the post-it notes I was using to mark differences in the books. :D

I think its more of just updating for the times, otherwise the book would tend to get bigger and more expensive over the years. This way it is kept as a precise guide with recipes people would be more inclined to want to try.

Of course I'm making sure I keep reference to all the deleted ones, until I hear specific reference that there is a reason not to can them.

Archived