MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

~~Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving Give Away~~

PoGo

Today is Sunday, May 31st. As stated, today, the winning entrants are to be announced. :excl:

Before I announce the winners I would like to mention a few things about the book.

For those of you new to canning, please note that all of the recipes in this book are based on an elevation of sea level. This means that if you live above sea level, you must adjust the length of time to process your food when boiling water canning, and you must adjust the pressure at which you process your food when steam pressure canning, to ensure a safe product.

The adjustments to make are listed in the beginning of the book, and are easy to follow. Just don’t forget.

If you are unsure of the altitude where you live, you can usually find it by contacting your local zoning office, on a webpage about your town, or by contacting your Cooperative Extension office. For those that reside in the USA, the National Center for Home Food Preservation lists this United States geological survey tool that you can use, at this website, http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?...347246709575936

Okay, on to the drawing. I show the following have entered; :canning:

Stephanie

indy gal preps

Crazy4Canning

The MacKinnon

ol’momma

Virginia

Prickle

Jingles

Canned Nerd

CoM

Aint2nuts

zophiel

LadySnow

Staceyy

gramma lois

Cricket

TurtleMama

Josephine

Mandomom

Violet

Jake

ArmyOfFive4God

Steph

cowgirl8

SandyinHouston

Seeing so much interest in this giveaway really tickled me, and I must say, I enjoyed each and every one of the canning stories y’all shared. I’ve had so much fun with this, I ordered more books to give away. :wub:

The winners are; :band2:

Stephanie

indy gal preps

Crazy4Canning

The MacKinnon

ol’momma

Virginia

Prickle

Jingles

Canned Nerd

CoM

Aint2nuts

zophiel

LadySnow

Staceyy

gramma lois

Cricket

TurtleMama

Josephine

Mandomom

Violet

Jake

ArmyOfFive4God

Steph

cowgirl8

SandyinHouston

That’s correct; everybody that entered gets a book! I’ll send a PM to everyone, so please reply with your mailing address, as I am shipping them by good ol’ USPS, snail mail.

The books on order should be here in a few days, and I need to pick up the envelopes to mail them, so it will be a few days before I send them out. It shouldn’t take too long, though.

Thank you for joining in, and I hope each and every one of you gets a lot of use out of their new Ball Blue Book guide to preserving.

For those of you new to canning, don’t stress out about it, it’s easy! If you have any questions about the process, there are many knowledgeable individuals on this board that are willing to help you out.

Above all, have fun with it. Enjoy! :canning:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much! :wub: You have such a kind heart to do that! I'm looking forward to getting my book in the mail.

I enjoyed reading everyone's stories. I really didnt have anything interesting to share since I usually can by myself. My mother never taught me. I'm self taught, but I love it and I'm trying to get my kids interested. Not so much yet, but there's still time so there's still hope!

Here's to a wonderful canning season this year!! :canning::cheer:

That’s correct; everybody that entered gets a book! I’ll send a PM to everyone, so please reply with your mailing address, as I am shipping them by good ol’ USPS, snail mail.

Above all, have fun with it. Enjoy! :canning:

Oh My Goodness! How VERY Generous!! THANK YOU!!!!

Hubby reminded me of a canning story..sort of.

His Mom had a very dear friend who made pickles he was just wild for. MIL asked her friend for the recipe,which was willingly and cheerfully given. Alas, MIL isn't much of a cook. :( If the recipe reads "simmer gently for 2 hours" she figures she can boil the heck out of it for 20 min and get the same result...

So, now MIL has THE recipe for THE pickles her darling son so loves. She bought about 50 lbs of cukes and busily set about making the pickles. But, MIL doesn't own a canner and has no interest in buying one. She opts for topping off her mayonaise jars with BOILING brine, and screwing the lids on. As long as they pinged, she was certain the product was well preserved. Thankfully most of them were stored in her extra fridge, but, as you can guess, 99% of her pickles were slimey and gross in short order. That was OK, the few that were sampled tasted nothing remotely like her dear friend's crisp tasty dills, and her son wasn't very interested in actually eating them... (altho he confided that he had a lot of fun taking them out to the range for target practice. *shh-hhh* )

So, here I come into the family a few years later. I was 18 and not very experienced with cooking. Somehow the tale of the pickles got told. I expressed a curiousity in seeing the recipe and MIL assured me that there was no way to replicate the famous cukes by following it. Well, I read the notes. It looked pretty easy, but just to be sure I called the friend, introduced myself and explained that I wanted to try her recipe. I asked if she had any advice for a beginner. She told me to "just come on over and we'll do up a batch together." So I did...and I've been reproducing Lola's pickles ever since without trouble. :)

Wowie Pogo!! What a sweetheart you are!! Thank you so very much! :wub:

With y'alls encouragement, I'm ready to take the leap of faith. I have my canner sitting in the middle of the table waiting patiently. Had to go buy 2 more cases of jars. (I used all the ones I had storing dehydrated stuff. :lol: ) And I have two huge pork loins waiting in the fridge. I have too many things to do today to devote the time to canning but tomorrow when I get the kiddo off to school, I'm gonna get right on it.. really!! This reminds me a lot of waiting for a dentist appointment. ;)

Oh, Pogo!!! :bighug2:

What an unbelievably kind gift! I literally did a double take when I read the "and the winners are" part!!!

You are so generous...thank you so very much... :bouquet: I hope that one day I have the opportunity to repay your kindness. :) I'm so excited that I'll have a book of safe recipes to can from, available at my fingertips! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

* Jingles eyes are full of tears of Joy* :sad-smiley-012:

Pogo you are the most generous person I know. To be so wonderful you deserve a metal! :bouquet:

Thank you SOOO much for gifting to all of us and thank you for helping us all get more prepared. You are a truly wonderful person. I wish I could mail you a hug. I hope this one will due. :hug3:

xanimal_catfejs.gif **Looking for Lola's Pickle Recipe...**

SandyinHouston, check yer private messages... checkemail.gif

Yeah, that Pogo... We think we might just keep her around.... feeldaluvsmiley.gif

Thanks, PoGo!!!

loveshower.gif

Oh my gosh! Everyone won??????

You are way to kind Pogo. You could have gotten something else for your preps instead of buying ALL these books !

I wouldn't mind sending a donation to help cover some of the cost you have put out to do this.

God Bless & Thank You again.

Oh my gosh! Everyone won??????

You are way to kind Pogo. You could have gotten something else for your preps instead of buying ALL these books !

I wouldn't mind sending a donation to help cover some of the cost you have put out to do this.

God Bless & Thank You again.

Well, thank you, CoM. However, donations are not needed. It's all been taken care of. I had a talk with the big guy, upstairs, and my heart is completely at ease about this. He, and my husband, are behind this 100%. That's all I really need. :wub:

As I mentioned earlier upthread, you all, by joining in and sharing your stories have given much, much more. I sincerely hope that each and everyone of you is rewarded with safe, nutritious, great tasting food when you put the books to use.

Oh, and Cat? If you find Lola's Pickle Recipe, will you share it? :)

Oh, PoGo!!!!! :wub:

When I logged in this morning, the PM popped up and I replied, before I actually read the thread.

You are a wonderful , generous lady. Thank you so much. And thanks to your DH as well, for being so supportive and kind.

Now that you know where I live, you are welcome any time!

Thank you again. :grouphug:

Thanks so much for blessing us all like this! Many of us will be learning to can for the first time due to your generousity and as a result, we'll be able to weather the coming storms much better. You'll also be affecting future generations, as we leanrn and pass this skill down the line through our families. God bless!

Oh, and Cat? If you find Lola's Pickle Recipe, will you share it?

I have a feeling we're all gonna have to pounce on ol'momma to get it...

;)

Thanks so much for blessing us all like this! Many of us will be learning to can for the first time due to your generousity and as a result, we'll be able to weather the coming storms much better. You'll also be affecting future generations, as we leanrn and pass this skill down the line through our families. God bless!

:amen:

Archived