MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

~~Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving Give Away~~

PoGo

I bought two extra Ball Blue Books to give away. This is the new book, 100th anniversary edition, with Peach-Walnut Shortcake on the cover.

To enter the drawing, just post in this thread that you’d like to be included. I’d also like you to post your favorite canning story, be it yours or someone else’s, if you’ve never canned before. The story isn’t required to win, just something of interest to post if you feel like sharing.

I will draw two names on Sunday, May 31, 2009. These two names will be the winners of the book.

The winners will need to PM me their mailing address in a reasonable amount of time, lets say within a week of winning the drawing, or I will draw a replacement winner.

Good luck! :)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please add me to the drawing -- my canning book is so o o o old!

My canning story is about my older sister. In the 1950's she decided to go to my mom & dads and make homemade root beer. I was young then - she was 11 years older than I and married. Every thing went along fine, root beer was made, put in bottles and capped. We all got a taste and it was good stuff! We had an outdoor shed with shelves and it was cool so it was decided thats where the root beer would be stored until it aged. Not long after it was all on the shelves we were back in the house and we could hear all this popping and banging coming from the shed. We all rushed out to see what was going on and we had to duck to keep from being hit by popping bottle caps & flying glass. Our delicious root beer was all gone. To this day none of us ever tried to make root beer again.

Do add me too to the list of people for your contest!

A canning story - :canning:

My parents were doing some water bath canning one summer when I was 7. They set the timer and walked away. When this loud BUUZZZZZZZ went off, I went in search of them and couldn't find them, so since I've always been sensitive to noise, I couldn't reach completely to turn the timer off, so I just turned the timer UP. Dad came in a few minutes later and couldn't believe he STILL had over 40 minutes left.

He asks me, "I thought I heard the timer. Did you reset it?" Of course I told the truth, "Yep. It was making noise." After turning off the heat, he turned to me, his mouth hanging open he said, "How far did you turn the timer?"

"Ummm. I dunno. As far as I could, all the way around, I think."

So, he had me show him. We had a clock/timer on the stove and I had turned it for almost 60 minutes. It had only been going another 10 when he got there.

So, my little 7-year old self got a lecture on how to come RUNNING and get an adult when the timer went off and how I should NEVER EVER touch a hot stove and how I needed to ask before touching anything in the kitchen. :blush: Umm. I also began getting lessons that week on how to tell time. :busted:

:24:

Me too please! Add me!

I don't have a canning story - yet - but when I get back next week, I will attempt canning for the first time. Somewhere around June 10th, I should have a whale of a canning story, complete with photos and audio.

:canning::cheer:

ohhhhhh...... I was suppose to tell a story! :rolleyes:

Well, hmmmm, lets see....

Last year, my mom planted green beans in her garden.

They grew and she harvested the beans from the bushes.

She then cleaned, processed and canned these same beans.

They now nourish my family each time I open a jar and serve them.

The children always take such pleasure that these are Mimi's green beans.

I feel so loved by Mom when I see them sitting there so pretty on my pantry shelf.

There's just something so 'right' about home canning, something that says I cared enough.

You were worth that extra effort and you matter to me, see what I did for you!

I am willing to invest myself, my time, my energy into providing for you.

What a way to say I love you! What a way to send a Canned Hug!

Thanks so much Mom! I love you too! :hug3:

I need a new book, too, and we don't have them here.

My grown daughter was here learning to can one year. I left her to run next door, thought I explained things, like let the steam blow off 10 min, put the weight on, I'll be right back. The beans will then process 20 minutes. She timed the 10, then the 20, and when I got back the canner was nearly dry. Had to start over, and explain things again. We barely escaped on that one. Don't want a ruined canner.

My recent canning story is being given two flats (16 lbs) of very very ripe strawberries and no room in the refrigerator so I was putting ice in coolers to keep them fresh as long as I could until I could get them canned. After about my third canning run I realized I was not coming up to proper temperature and realized my stove element had apparently died. Unfortunately not all the strawberries survived long enough to be processed, but I definitely have a few years supply of jams, though I may not be able to look at a strawberry for awhile.

OK, I thought of a story...

I remember all through my childhood that my grandmother would fondly recall something called olive cherries that she and her mother used to can. They had to be made with a certain kind of white cherry called a Queen Anne cherry.

I'd never seen a Queen Anne cherry and neither had my mom, so it had been a long time since the Queen Annes had been seen in those parts. It wasn't until I was in college and shopping in an ethnic food store that I finally saw some Queen Anne cherries! I bought a couple pounds and brought them to my Gram'ma. She was ecstatic!

She canned herself up some olive cherries and was in heaven.

Personally I thought they were awful but she was happy :) The End

What a fun thing to do! Thanks for your generosity. Please add me also . I do not have an up to date version of this book.

I really don't have any interesting canning stories. I think the only mess up I have ever had was my first batch of stewed tomatoes. I did not pack enough tomatoes in the jars so I ended up with 1/2 filled jars of tomatoes floating in juice.

Please, add me! I am getting a canner next month.

My story:

I had a friend (who I have tried to find -- but haven't been able to), and she had a big garden and several children -- and was pregnant with another one. I would go over to her house, harvest and help with canning. 9 months pregnant and she was picking and canning things she grew.

The time came for her to give birth to her son, and the next day she was released from the hospital. That afternoon she was picking and canning green beans!

:bounce: Ooh, ooh, put me in, too!

Cuz I haven't got a canning book, yet. . . .

I haven't really got any canning stories. Only think I've done is make a fantastic triple berry jam which is tasty on toast, dinner rolls, biscuits, and ice cream! Mom never really had the canning bug, but I do have memories of her and Granma stirring a large pot of granma's marmelade-- it took something like three days to make. Too bad I've never really liked marmelade . . .

Still, we have her old canning pots still, so when I made my jam, I just had to lug them out of the basement.

^_^

The MacKinnon

... complete with photos and audio.

Audio??? :blink:

Now THAT'S scary!!!!!! :o

:24:

Please be sure to TELL PoGo if you want to be included in the drawing!! I have my book, so I don't need one.

:bighug2: THANKS PoGo!!!

What a nice thing for you to do! Please add my name to the list for this generous drawing. I guess the only good canning story is that one year 3 years ago I had a 50 x50 foot garden. I was able to can 51 quarts of green beans that year! I was even able to freeze over 30 quarts of corn! It was a very, very productive year. :-)

My favorite canning memory was canning pickles with my Mom in my first apartment. We had an open pilot stove and folded wing table, 13 stairs to lug all the pickles, dill, jars and water bath up. The kitchen only had one very small counter and a VERY old air conditioner. The apartment was on top of a hair salon so we smelled perming solution and nail polish while Mom packed jars with dill and alum and I packed as many pickles as I could in those big old quart and 1/2 mayo jars. Everyone sealed and we took pictures of all those beautiful jars on my tiny little table. It was so much fun...

I also remember canning 60 jars of tomato sauce in one day at my new house with my Mom. We had several 5 gallon buckets FULL of tomato skins and seeds. My white porcelain sink was red. There was tomato juice everywhere and two HUGE water baths going full tilt for hours and hours. We stayed up till 2 am and the smell of tomatoes all through the house. The next day the table was covered with jars of sauce, my Mom was crashed on one chair and I was crashed on another and my DH was just shaking his head as he scrubbed the tomato off the sink, floor, cabinets, walls, tools, bowls, and the stove. :D He was so patient with us.

A very generous offer, and generating a whole lot of great stories. Count me in please.

The story that comes to mind is one that involves an excess of green cherry tomatoes coming out of my ears, so I decided what the heck I'll just try pickling them. I harvested more dill, added some wild leeks (basic dill pickle recipe) and stored them.

Well because my family loves my dills and we ran out the next spring, I decided to serve pickled tomatoes. They were outstanding and such a lovely surprise!

Once upon a time, in the Shire of Sufficiency, lived a lovely little red haired princess. The little princess was happiest humming along at home, canning consommé and comfits by the royal hearth, so she was called Cricket by all who loved her. :curtsey:

Over time, tutored by the Queen and her Ladies, Princess Cricket grew into a compassionate and capable chatelaine, who carried the canning secrets of Sufficiency deep in her heart. :canning:

The wicked potentates in the Lands of Oppression were jealous of Sufficiency and began to infiltrate the once happy Shire with Wicked Witches and Wizards, who plotted to undermine all those who carried the True Knowledge of Sufficiency. The Wicked Ones loosed their malevolent magic, and Poof!! Poor Princess Cricket found herself living in the Territory of TeeVee, suddenly surrounded by sycophantic sheep. :sheeple:

Plucky Princess Cricket refused to relinquish the secrets in her heart and began to quietly promulgate the practices of preservation, always praying that some day she would once again be safe and sound in the Shire of Sufficiency. So Princess Cricket continued canning, consistently keeping a commodious collection of comforting cuisine, as she resolutely waited to be rescued and returned to her realm. :nail:

One fateful day, there was a terrible tumult in the Territory of TeeVee, as toilets tore through turbines. The starving sheep shortly started to single out citizens still storing supplies, and sent their soldiers to seize the surplus saved by Princess Cricket. :0327:

Just as the plucky Princess was priming her pistol to protect her provisions, a perfectly proportioned Prince prevailed over the plundering pack of perpetrators, and provided the provident Princess with a picture perfect path to safety and serenity secure in the Shire of Sufficiency, where they all lived Happily Ever After. :darlenedance:

Well, you didn't say it could not be a made-up story! Do I still get a chance at the Blue book? Pretty please?

This is a very sweet and generous offering. Thank you!

Archived