MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pickup bed cooking

I had a rooster in the fridge that was all cut up and aged several days. I put the pieces in a heavy, non-stick pot that is about 14 inches wide and 3 inches deep. The coating is black. It has a heavy glass lid. I added some room temp water, a handful of dried onions, about 1/4 c of dried mixed bell peppers, salt and white pepper. Put the lid on and carried it out to the truck which is parked in the sun. My truck is dark blue and gets hotter'n blue blazes. I put the pot in a corner of the bed just to see how it would do. Should have got it out sooner. It is cooking, but we have some clouds rolling in so I'll probably have to finish on the stove. We still have several hours till the sun goes down so I'm letting it set, unless it really gets cloudy.

It is over 100* again today. We need rain.

I'll let you know how this does. I'll probably be tweaking my method a bit as summer rolls on.

Now that is very resourceful Trish! Since this is an experiment, will you be using a meat thermometer to judge the doneness?

I need to learn more about this solar cooking, I keep meaning to but never follow through with it. :rolleyes:

I'll enjoy hearing how the chicken turns out.

:blink:

Are you trying for our new "Redneck Cook" award???? (Which, of course, I just made up... ;) )

traylersmiley.gif

I think the only thing I might have done was to have a temperature gauge/thermometer right with it to check the temperatures. Meat scares me if it's sitting very long, unless it's *actively cooking*. Maybe start with boiling water? But then that defeats your purpose, which was to test it as a "solar cooker"... ;)

I hope it turns out safe and tasty!!! marshmallow.gif

I'll put a thermometer in next time. Didn't think of it soon enough. The clouds didn't last any time at all and it looks pretty hot in that pot. It is steaming and the meat looks like it is cooking about as fast as a slow cooker, but not bubbling.

I'm thinking of lining the truck bed with a tarp and filling it with water for a hot tub. LOL Have to figure out how to get in without burning myself on the side of the truck.

I think if I had put it out about 11 instead of nearly 2, it would be done. As it is, the breast pieces are done, and nice and juicy. The legs and thighs are done for about 1/2 inch in and the rest raw. If I had cut the meat off the bone or if this were a smaller bird, the thighs would probably be done too.

This was one of my huge crosses I'm working on and he had very big meaty thighs and legs.

I put the pot on the stove to finish. It was still real hot when I lifted the lid.

Wanted to see what results I'd get with minimal equipment.

I'm thinking of trying cookies on the dashboard. LOL

DH made one of those homemade solar cookers in March. Princess was here so we made rice which she loves. It took a bit over an hour to make. Of course, as hot as it has been lately, it might cook faster than a microwave could cook it!!

That looks good, Leah. I'll have to try a GF version.

I'm going to put some rice on tomorrow if I remember before I head to the big city with my sister. LOL It won't matter if it doesn't turn out since it is for the dogs. They ain't picky a-tall.

Somewhere around here I have a sheet of glass an' I think I'll try using that over a metal trash can one day and see if it heats up more.

That's pretty neat. If I tried it a hen would decide to lay an egg in it though. When we lowered the spare from under the pickup, it had a clutch of eggs in it. LOL

I put summer squash and rice out a few minutes ago. Meant to add onions, but forgot and don't feel like going back out this minute. My thermometer is too big for the pot so left it out.

That's pretty neat. If I tried it a hen would decide to lay an egg in it though. When we lowered the spare from under the pickup, it had a clutch of eggs in it. LOL

hahahahaha! I am getting this visual...Crabby's Automatic Egg Cooker...COMPLETELY automatic, now! Straight from the chicken into the cooker!

ROLF!!

Looking into the link a little closer...I'm thinking that wind could play havoc with the super lightweight solar reflector. When I make this gizmo, I'm going to reinforce it with something heavier.

Also, I'm going to use a $5 Norpro brand thermometer in my solar cooking pot. It is only about 5 or 6 inches long, has a clip on it and can be used for multi-purposes: meat, candies, milk, soapmaking, yeasts...it is made entirely of stainless steel with a small enclosed dial on top and it's very sturdy. I want to be certain that meats and poultry do not remain too long in an 'unsafe' zone.

When I go to milk in the evenings there are frequently several freshly laid eggs in the feed pan on the milk stand. LOL Milk with omelet coming up!

All of my meat is raised here by me and processed by me. No meat dipped in vats of manure then sprayed with chlorine for us!

You might try sticking several stakes or poles in the ground to fasten your windshield reflector thingy to. I have some three ft long rebar stakes that would work but no place to do it where it wouldn't get messed with. Too many free range poultry, goats and dogs here. Turkeys and geese particularly love to play with things like that.

I'll have to get a smaller meat thermometer. Mine is way long because it came with the turkey fryer.

Thanks for the link Pure Cajun....I think I may have to go grab one of those as well as a meat themometer for my preps. I may try to set a cake on top of my car tommorrow and just see what happens :shrug:

Clouded up so I brought it inside and plopped it on the stove for 15 min then turned it off and went out to do chores and it is nicely done now.

I think I've been overloading the pot and not cutting my food into small enough pieces. I also want to try a reflector and see if that heats it up better.

I noticed the lady doing dashboard cooking had portion sized packets and not a large pot of something.

I ordered a thermometer.

Quote:

"No meat dipped in vats of manure then sprayed with chlorine for us!"

Say what?

I put the pieces in a heavy, non-stick pot that is about 14 inches wide and 3 inches deep. The coating is black. It has a heavy glass lid.

I bet a crock-pot or a glass casserole dish would work too. I'm going to have to experiment with this too. Now, I just need to see what I have on hand.

Hope you get some rain soon!

If you can get it hot enough to start, it would work ok. If it isn't real hot, you can put it on the stove long enough to bring it to a boil then put it in an insulated container to finish. Since the pot should already be fairly hot it won't take too long to bring it to a boil. I wouldn't feel safe in putting it in an insulated container unless it was boiling hot.

I used to have a sun oven and it would bring things to a boil if conditions were right. I lost it in a move a few yrs ago. Wish I still had it.

Archived