MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Not 'Just' a Dog

lunamother

I just got back from the clinic with my dear old Galut-

(she's the pyr in my avatar)

9 year old pyr. I've had her since she was 12 wks old.

she's the perfect dog. the perfect pyr. the perfect goatling nanny.

the week before we left for Montana, she climbed thru a fence and started limping. I figured she'd caught/twisted the leg going thru. I examined it, poked it, turned it, nothing. So it wasn't broken and I told the house sitter to make sure she didn't get swelling/heat in it while we were gone.

when we got home, she wasn't worse, but not better either. I swapped her out with the youngest pyr- put Galut in the yard with the most shade and the ability to get under the house where it's coolest, and Bloo in for Goat Duty.

Galut followed me around to do chores, and a few days ago, followed me up onto the porch. I looked at her and said "you've never been IN the house. you're an outside dog". she stood with her nose on the door looking up at me and I coudn't have heard her any better if she'd spoken-

"I earned this".

so she's living inside.

and she's got osteosarcoma.

the xrays show she doesn't have any observable tumors anywhere but in her leg right now, but I'm aware that it's pretty much a given that the cells have spread, so the goal will be to just keep her comfortable.

which means discussing amputation of a leg she can't use now anyway and that's undoubtedly very painful. and alot of painkillers. but I trust that just like she told me it was time for her to be a house dog, she'll tell me when she's ready to go.

I hope I'm half as brave and graceful as she is.

Oh, my.... here I sit with tears in my eyes. I am so sorry about your dog. It is so hard when this happens. I know that alot of people say, "Well it is just a dog", but for me, my dogs are part of my family. I had to have one of my little dogs put to sleep last year and still, to this day, I miss her so. We tried so hard to get her well, but her little body just wasn't up to it. So, I did the right thing when she could no longer get around and took her to the vet and had her put to sleep while I held her and told her how much I love her. I was one of the hardest things I have ever done, but I know I did the right thing. I will keep Galut in my prayers and hope that she has lots of time left to spend with you... she has earned it...

Rita

Oh lunamother.... that makes me just want to hug both you and Galut. :pray:

Those fuzzy kids get into your heart and become part of you (as I am sitting here with a hound nose and floppy ears on my leg).

I hope I'm half as brave and graceful as she is.

Dogs take on so many of their personality traits from the people who care for them. You are hoping to be like her - when in reality, she's probably acting on what she has seen from you.

:bighug2:

Oh Luna, I am sorry to hear the sad news on Galut! It is perfect though, that you are letting her have 'inside time' now that she needs some extra comfort. I will ask my Rescue friends what they are doing for osteosarcomas that happen in their dogs (Ridgies get it somewhat commonly too).

Vic

thanks, ya'll.

I look around at all these furry friends who surround me every day, and realize that I'm going to lose most of them in the next few years, if not sooner.

the 2 barn cats- Ozzie and Gremlin- 14 years old, look like they've been hit with the ugly mangy stick, but still catch mice, sleep in the sun and purr at breakfast time

my mare Shar- 18 years old (altho she's an Arabian, and looks fabulous, so she 'should' be just entering middle age :24: )

eldest nanny goat, Alice- 10 years old- has given me 9 sets of TRIPLETS, raised all but one her own self, and wasn't even supposed to get bred the last 2 times (who'da thought an old obese goat could jump 2 fences to get to the boys???)

Galut *sigh*

my little terrier Spooj- 15 years old, blind and in liver failure. but still does the Happy Dance at breakfast and dinner times :)

my toy poodle Tiny Ramon- *19* years old and still plays, hears, sees. on medication for heart failure, tho, so I've been warned that one day he'll just drop over mid-fetch. hope I'm that lucky...

so I tell myself "Self? you'd be a fool to let any more critters into your heart after these are gone".

but I know I will.

I, too, am so sorry for you and Galut. I am glad that you let her come live with you in the house to be more comfortable. You can give her lots of love. We love our animals more than most humans and totally understand your pain. I rescued a kitten Memorial Day weekend and spent $300 on her, getting her well, spaying and IDing her. Our animals love us unconditionally. Ours are all 3 spoiled and live in the house. Including our rottie. He's such a love. We got him at 4 1/2 weeks and he has been mothered by both my daughter and myself. B) I hope you have alot of time left with Galut. I also hope you find something that will either fix this condition or make her more comfortable. :bighug2:

*sniff, sniff*

This is terrible news. I'm so sorry!

:( I am so sorry.

report from the day-

-bloodwork came back healthy and strong- so she's a good candidate for surgery (amputation)

-surgeon's look at the x-rays verified the ER doctor- no visible tumors yet

-heart, lungs, yada yada all sound very strong

-she's already not using that leg, so adapting to it not being there will be easy- in fact easier when it's not getting in her way/dragging

bad news-

if we do nothing, she'll be dead in less than 2 months, after being in agony the entire time from the cancer on the leg bone

if we amputate, she'll have an estimated 4-6 months, but MAY be more comfortable with the leg removed, depending on her recovery

of course, we could just put her to sleep now

I've opted for the surgery.

IF her recovery seems too hard on her, I'll have her put down immediately.

otherwise, we'll have what we get.

she's got some nice narcotics now.

(I'd like some too, please)

one thing I thought of today is from something we went thru with Ward- he fell and tore a muscle inside his butt (poor Ward can't catch a break :lol: ) and it got progressively worse. they kept thinking it was just the muscle healing, said it was just really tight in there but THREE SETS of bloodwork came back normal and he wasn't running fever, so it couldn't be an abscess. six weeks later *~* they did an MRI and guess what? big ol' fat hairy ABSCESS that needed immediate surgery.

so.

I had to do payroll this morning and asked the ER vet "hey- if it were an abscess in there on that joint from being hurt/punctured going thru the fence, how different would it look from a tumor?"

he thought about it for a minute, and said "it would look pretty much the same".

I called the Vet doing the surgery (he's SO happy right now that I've got his home phone number...) and talked to him about it.

they're going to wait till she's sleeping on Tuesday, then lance the area to be sure it's cancer BEFORE hacking her leg off.

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

Yes, our fur babies are just that. They sometimes seem like real people and you can really get attatched to them. We will do everything we can for them.

Glad you let her inside where she will be more comfortable.

You said you didn't know if you would get another pet or not, but, that is what I said after Queen and Prince had to be put to sleep. But, about 7 months later, we got Minnie. We've had her for close to 3 years now.

We just had a $700.00+ bill from our vet with Minnie.

:pray: for you and your family.

thGR5FGirly5FHugs.jpg

Luna, I'm so sorry.

So glad you've decided to go with amputation. When one can afford it, it's so worth it. I've worked at vet offices and honestly, after the initial recovery, they don't even notice the missing leg. It does not affect their quality of life, but it will give them a little more time. Not trying to give false hope, but I have witnessed dogs going 1-2 years longer.

Consider putting her on a raw food diet, cutting out the carbs (rice, etc) and giving pure veggies, yogurt, kefir, meat, bones, and herbs, such as turmeric and goldenseal. It may not arrest the cancer (especially osteosarcoma, which is aggressive) but it may very well slow it down much more than you think.

I have lots of herbs recommended for this. If you want details, please let me know. Every day I give my dogs herbs for cancer prevention because they are a breed that dies very early, usually from osteosarcomas.

thanks!

I manage the emergency clinic here in town, and it's owned by 19 area vets. our very best surgeon is doing the surgery, assisted by an ortho guy from Dallas- and it won't be much more than their cost- access to care like this is the very best of my perks, especially considering the number of critters I've got <_<

surgery is tomorrow at 7:30 am.

please send fuzzy doggy prayers tomorrow morning to my dear sweet Galut. :wub:

Galut came thru her surgery with flying colors- and is spending the night at the ER so they can keep her pretty morphined up. she was sleeping when we got her, but woke up and turned completely around on the stretcher in the back of the car. in spite of the BIG HUGE STRAPS holding her down. she was panting when we laid her down in the clinic until I sat down next to her and put her head in my lap. she immediately went to sleep again

when we left, she had my denim shirt under her head as a pillow.

Archived