MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Buried my father yesterday

Motherhen

He was actually my stepfather as my bio dad died of cancer when I was just 2 months old, 50 yrs. ago. My mother re-married 2 yrs. later and this man took my older bro and I as his own. He adopted us with his last name and I was fortunate to have him for a father. I was priviliged to be taken into his family--of which he was the oldest of 8 siblings and my new grandparents who treated me like their own.

He had Alz's for the past several years but went quickly with a sudden heart attack. I was glad in the end that he went quickly instead of like my aunt on my mother's side who suffered slowly with Alz's before it took her.

The weather was absolutely horrendous though.Raining buckets and then the wind picked up too as a cold front came in. Got very chilly at that point while the graveside service was going on. The day before, though it was morning (before afternoon visitation) we had marble sized hail come down which made the ground white instead of green.

We almost lost him two years ago with a virus which made him ill so I've been preparing for this time. Just wasn't expecting it 'right now' as he was in fairly good health "considering". He hasn't been with us for some time now in knowing us, but it still leaves a void in our lives regardless. My mother was there daily to feed him his supper. It'll be a big change in routine for her.He was a good man and respected in the community. He and my mother set the example to follow in many aspects of day to day living. He endured much when about 35 yrs. ago at the factory that he worked at, due to a safety issue, he lost both legs at the knee when several tons of steel pipe rolled down on him, pinning him and crushing his legs. He suffered much pain all these years but still he endured physically and spiritually in devotion to our God.Both he and my mother had a good marriage for almost 48 yrs. His suffering is over now and he rests in peace. He endured to the end.

Motherhen, you have my deepest sympathies. Two years ago, April 2, I lost my Mom to Alzheimer's. She was 83, and had suffered for close to 10 years. Although she couldn't tell you quite who we were, she knew she was loved.

I lost my Dad in '05 to cancer...roughly 3 weeks from diagnosis to Home-going.

God bless you and your family. May His love comfort and strengthen you...always and ever.

Motherhen....I'm so sorry for your lost. Stepparent or not...a parent is a parent. I have had a wonderful Stepdad for the past few years and his is the Daddy I always wanted. Not taking away from my real dad because I love him dearly....he just cares nothing about me. I can't imagine having to go through it and my heart is with you. I will be praying for you and your family. Sending lots of love and hugs your way.

• 4 weeks later...

Motherhen, what a lovely words you have used to describe the man who became your father, I am so sorry for you and your families loss, may you all find peace in remembering the happy times spent together.

Archived