MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hi, new here!

MrsClark

Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself first, before I start posting. You can see from my profile that I live in Inwood, WV, but DH is retiring from being a sheriff deputy in about a year and a half and we are moving to Texas, Dallas area, immediately after.

I have DD17, and SS17 and SS23. I am DW #3! The boys both live at their respective mother's homes. We also have our three fur babies, English Bulldogs, Diesel, Holly and Sarah P.

I started my emergency preparedness storage and skill learning about a year ago. I am nowhere near where I want to be! But I am way further along than most of my friends and any of my neighbors...

I found this site while looking for information on canning so I cant wait to dig into the information you all have here. I started gardening last spring so this year is my second year. I also started canning, which I love doing. I sew, crochet (still learning) and do all kinds of other crafts.

Right now I am not working, I have been out of work for almost a year now. It sucks but there just isnt anything out there right now.

Cant wait to get to know you all.

Welcome, Mrs. Clark!

What is drawing you to the Dallas area, if I may ask? It's a huge change from WV. You'll have to re-learn gardening just about from the scratch line. Do you have a good idea of the adventure you're poised for?

Welcome, Mrs. Clark!

What is drawing you to the Dallas area, if I may ask? It's a huge change from WV. You'll have to re-learn gardening just about from the scratch line. Do you have a good idea of the adventure you're poised for?

We are looking at Dallas because of a few things...

1. no state income taxes in TX;

2. low low cost of housing (yes, property taxes are higher though)

3. Weather (no major snow)

4. Job market in TX is much better than most of the country. (80% of job creating has been in TX)

5. Good location for the business DH wants to start (hot rod shop) because of the NASCAR track in Dallas

6. Independent "Dont Mess With Texas" attitude.

Yes, Texas is way different from WV, which is exactly what we are looking for! Neither of us is FROM WV. DH grew up in Northern VA and I was born and raised in southern CA. We have only been in WV for 7 years and arent fond of it. We are just over the VA/WV line and only came here because of housing prices. We bought this house at the VERY top of the market in '05 and the price of houses in VA was so high we could afford to live there and work there... so we went as far out as we had to that was still as close as we could get with affordable house prices. Which was a HUGE mistake, cause it makes getting a job in a tight market, really hard!

Learning gardening all over again is ok, cause I am still learning NOW! I dont really have any real KNOWLEDGE yet! I think I am just getting lucky that I put seeds in the ground and they grow! Well, some of them anyway!

Hello Mrs Clark, nice to have you here. Take the comfy seat by the window and put your feet up.

The cake trolley will do its round shortly.

Hello Mrs Clark, nice to have you here. Take the comfy seat by the window and put your feet up.

The cake trolley will do its round shortly.

Cake Trolley? There's a cake trolley? WHOO HOO!!:darlenedance:

I'd like to suggest you look into kumquats and satsumas, which are the hardiest citrus, rabbit-eye blueberries, kiwifruit, and cherry tomatoes. Citrus and blueberries (especially blueberries) require acid soil, but you can crush/mince a load of pine straw and mix it with the dirt in and around your planting holes. Cherry tomatoes are easier to grow in the heat than beefsteaks.

I'd like to suggest you look into kumquats and satsumas, which are the hardiest citrus, rabbit-eye blueberries, kiwifruit, and cherry tomatoes. Citrus and blueberries (especially blueberries) require acid soil, but you can crush/mince a load of pine straw and mix it with the dirt in and around your planting holes. Cherry tomatoes are easier to grow in the heat than beefsteaks.

Thanks for that info! I remember we had kumquats in CA, sure dont see those around here! Great to know what kind of seeds to store for being down there though.

**Cat rolls the tea cart/cake trolley (REALLY, Christy? A cake trolley? :blink: Picturing a HUGE train car filled with more cake than *I'd* like to bake!!! :0327: ) onto the Sunporch, filled with plates of cupcakes, brownies, chocolate chip cookies, and warm cinnamon rolls iced with cream cheese frosting. She sets up the coffeepot and the iced tea pitcher and settles down for a chat...**

Welcome, Mrs Clark! Christy's our sweet Netherlands friend and if she wants to call it that, it's fine by me! :happy0203:

So glad you found us, and I'm happy you jumped right in! :) If there's anything you can't find by using "Search", just ask. And there are NO dumb questions. If you wonder about something, somebody else is wondering the same thing, so ask and we'll help you both! ;)

:grouphug:

Well, HOWDY from the Great Country of Texas!!! Glad you joined us!!! you will love it here. We left Texas a few years ago for work, and couldn't get back here soon enough. DH says I just can't handle the attitude any where else (I think he means THEY can't handle me ) :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I will encourage you to look at different places in the state, as some are more TEXAS than others--a hot rod shop would do well anywhere in the state!!! I know we bought this place ( 8 acres--1800 sq ft home plus many extras) for the amount most people pay for a down payment!! The big cities are just like big cities anywhere else--it's the small towns in TEXAS that are special.

Anyway, I can talk about the Mother Land all day--so let me know if you have any questions...

Archived