MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

3 hours ago, Dee said:

Our foster daughter is no youngster AND she was taught to cook with me.  She lived with us her 4 years of high school and will be 60 in April. Wow, what does that tell you about my age? :0327:   

I taught her to bake, can, etc. and she does it well.  She just likes giving me something different and this year it was from the Apple Orchard in Ft. Dodge.  I'll also add that was not all that was in the Apple Orchard bag.  I'm sure she spent close to $100.  She knows I cook mostly from scratch and was just giving me some nice things to try that I would never have spent the money on.  She's a great wife, mother, grandmother and so on and has been a part of our family since 1976.

In the bag was also a jar, not quite a pint of jam, some kind of dark berry, I can't remember which for $8.95.  Again, I can't imagine that price but it was good. :)  I can't remember what else but I felt like a queen using that expensive stuff. :darlenequeen:

I agree with Martianchick, Foster daughter may have bought those through a school fundraiser and thought hey these would make great Christmas gifts. I have done that, bought stuff the grands were selling only to turn around and give it for a gift. I was able to support the grands and bless someone else. No matter the cost your Foster thought enough  of you to realize you would probably enjoy it. So chalk it up as a gift and forget what was stamped one the box. 

My two cents, even if someone spent that much on something like that and put it in their panty, well at least they were making an effort. Not everyone out here on this big blue marble are cost conscious as I am. But they are trying to do something. I know a young family that is trying to stock their panty, but they don't shop like I do. They spend way more than I do but at least they have something in their panty. They are young and are buying the "best" of everything and name brands to boot, which may serve them in the long run. I am old, I know how to make do or do without. So....

• Like 5

I feel sorry for those who have no idea how to make their own stuff from scratch.  I get worried when I see those "meal kits" sold on TV...you know.....they sell you the (expensive) ingredients and the recipe ("and all the hard work like chopping is already done!" they breathlessly brag) and you get to cook it.  Not terribly cost effective I am certain.  

Since when is eating supposed to be a "restaurant quality event"????  OY!  Frankly the restaurant quality foods are not all that tasty compared to homemade, and not all that healthy either.  

I gave a talk and handed out recipes at a prepper meeting about 5 yrs ago, based on very basic long-term storage foods, to give folks ideas on how to use their storage.  I got many compliments, but whast I most recall was one rueful comment from one of the menfolk..."oh, great...now I gotta learn to cook, too!"   Either that or recruit a cooking granny for his team...

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Littlesister said:

I have been watching about the chicken (bird flu) as it is going to affect the price of everything that uses eggs as well. I have ordered more of the ova crystals eggs for baking and for breakfast as well. I can have scrambled eggs or make egg salad with the scrambled eggs. 

What is Ova Crystals eggs?

Mother I’m glad you mentioned the “Homemade” mixes. I had planned to make some of these like Ranch and Taco seasoning and forgot. I swear if I don’t write it down the thought is lost forever. Didn’t we have a thread of these here one time?

• Like 2

ANewMe, the Ova easy eggs are the whole egg that has no additives. They taste more like real egg. They are longer term up to I want to say 7 years, but maybe longer. They are great for scrambled eggs and taste like eggs when scrambled. Just follow for the amount of water on directions. Also great for baking bread and cakes, etc. I have the powered eggs as well which are a bit cheaper and will last up to 25 years, but don't taste as good as the ova easy eggs. So, what I do is use the powered eggs for baking and save the ova easy for breakfast. I will scramble them and also scramble them to make egg salad for sandwiches. 

I need to start making my own mixes again. Haven't done that in a long while. If there is a section here for making the mixes, I would love to find out where it is.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, dogmom4 said:

I just received an order of the Ova Crystals. They’re a bit pricey but I’m taking everyone’s word for it that they’re better than the powdered eggs....:D

I just ordered some today. I already have some cans of Auguson Farms powdered whole eggs, and was going to get some more but the prices have jumped from $20 per can in January 2020 to $35.99.

I'll use the powdered eggs for baking and reserve the Ova Crystals to make scrambled eggs to serve with the Bacon Spam I got today and the dehydrated hash browns already in the pantry. :feedme:

Edited by Cricket
  • Like 3

It dfepends on the brand, but I like them much better thqn the frozen.  I rehydrate them around 20 min in boiling water, drain, then sprinkle them with onion powder when I cook them.  I likr the ore-ida brand versus betty crocker.  

I especially like that they dehydrated ones leave more freezer room for things I prefer frozen, like meats, and the frozen ones are often sold out in my area. 

Its a win-win

• Like 4

Hot tip: Read the labels on your dehydrated hash browns. Don't be like Cricket. 

I got a good deal on a huge two-pound carton of the Idahoan brand, only to learn later that they don't keep as long because they include vegetable oil. And as we preppers know, oils can go rancid over time. It didn't occur to me that the product had added oils. :gaah: 

I like the Hungry Jack brand, they are easy to pick up in little boxes the size of a school-lunch milk carton. They are great for shelf-stable storage, as they do not contain any oils. I've opened a box after many years and they rehydrated and fried up just fine. 

• Like 3

That's a good tip Cricket! Thanks for the reminder because I had forgotten about that.

When I bought my instant potatoes I looked to make sure they were oil free too. I also bought the plain Hungry Jack instant potatoes because they didn't contain oil. 

• Like 2

Why?  

Because, like my siblings, they like sending “expensive” Christmas gifts to me, they KNOW I’d never buy for myself.  

Sadly, almost all of it is not shelf stable.  Tastes nice, but, if anyone is like me, you can taste the additives and preservatives in the products.  

You all are talking dehydrated potatoes, I’m gonna try to find the tutorial video for dehydrated potatoes.  Sliced or shredded.  They taste like store bought, but last years on the shelf….  :pc_coffee:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ohhhh… that’s the video!  Thank you so much!  You’re my hero!  :hug3:

Then, shredded potatoes take a little less time to boil, but about the same amount to dehydrate, then, rehydrate & fry. 

• Like 2

A colander would have been so much easier and faster.  I am so going to try this as soon as I can get things going again. 

Midnightmom, I have a lot of the bacon spam and turkey spam as well as some regular spam.  Bacon spam is not bad at all. 

Dehydrated water, HA HA. But I do boil my water and then can it. It will last forever that way as long as the jars stay sealed.