MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

I cant believe it.  The house went on the lot today - but the realtor said we should go for a third week (!!) in the RV park.  At ANOTHER $250 a week.  At this rate we will probably miss Christmas too - with all the gifts we bought for our friends buried in storage.  We cannot for the life of us understand why OUR home takes so long, with this same realtor bragging to a common friend that she put 5 OTHER homes on their lots while we wait...and wait...and wait....

Then another indicent that made me go hmmmmmmm.  Mary said one of the workers on our home asked if she and 'her wife' (me, apparently) were going to enjoy our new home.  She was so shocked at his casual assumption that we are gay, that all she could do was answer "EXCUUUUUUSE ME??????" and give him a funny look.  He did not repeat himself.  Now I'm wondering if that might not be a factor in all our peculiar house delays.....foot dragging.....mysterious damages.....and apparently bad luck.  That is soooooo sad, and it angers me.  Who the heck do people think they are to judge us, even erroneously,  and take revenge in such petty ways?  Mary is so bummed out, she says she is tired of all the struggling.  Me too.  It makes me want to be a hermit more than ever! 

IMG_3319.JPG

IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3286.JPG

IMG_3303.JPG

IMG_3310.JPG

Edited by kappydell
add photos
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Oh dear, Kappy.  If that indeed is the so-called reason for absolutely ridiculous delays........it isn't right at all.  While the gay lifestyle doesn't match with my beliefs, I cannot even imagine treating others poorly for that reason.  Much less two ladies who are friends and wish to combine households for ordinary companionship.  I have several friends in this arrangement....makes sense cuz easier on income and security and having each other's back for emergencies.  As the two of you have found out.  And ....it used to be quite common. 

But it truly HAS been beyond ordinary.....all these things that are happening to you both.  I know the "hermit hide-away" instinct well.   But IF this is at least part of the problem, perhaps your friends from that area can start a backwash of correct data?  Does news travel fast.....might help?  Sheeesh!

MtRider  ....y'all hang in there.  Praying for you and Mary .....all of it!  :wacko: 

Sheesh Kappy, I never thought about that. Idiots.

I sort of know how it feels. My cousin and I were so close that some people (who didn't know us) thought we were a gay couple. Idiots. Oh well. I guess our love for each other was shining through so that's what counted the most. She was my best friend, crying buddy, laughing buddy, partner in crime, sister, confidant and my cousin. I even have a little urn of her ashes in my bedroom next to my best buddy dog Muffin's ashes. It's a shame two people of the same sex can't have a warm loving relationship without the world making assumptions. You and Mary are so blessed to have each other in your lives! Everyone should be as lucky. Wish I had a Mary or Kappy in my life. True friends like that are hard to come by.

P.S.

I'd love to soak in that big tub of yours!  :bathbaby:

I'll bet that's the issue too. I'm not advising you what to do or say but I know exactly what I would do. I would go to the realtor in person so I could see her face and I would say, "apparently there is a rumor going around here that my friend and I are gay. I can assure you that we are not." Then I would tell her about my late husband. The I would ask her if she had any idea how that rumor got started. I'm not sure if I would mention that I thought perhaps all the delays, etc were because of that rumor or not. I would play that by ear I guess.

Your new house looks really nice! Hope you get it all set up soon and can move in. Exciting!!!

Edited by Daylily
  • Like 3

Your new house is so nice!

I ‘d be as mad as a wet cat, if someone said something like that to me.  I’m not always someone who knows when to ‘shut up’ sometimes. I know I would have a fit. 

A sparrow hawk is eyeing the area I feed the birds.  One of the big owls visited just before dawn yesterday. Amazing, as big as they are, they are extremely quiet.  

Time for me to get back to cutting and bundling juniper branches.....

Wow...the house pics didn't come thru for me last nite.  That is a realllly gorgeous looking house inside.  Yeah  :bathbaby:  I'd love the tub!  Have had only shower for 2 decades. 

Did anyone get to see the meteor shower last nite?  .... :(  we had total cloud cover and an inch of snow this morning.  It's really neat to watch from our 'vantage point' waaay up here!  DH and I watched one show last summer. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

It's a lovely home, Kappy. I really hope in a few weeks this will all be an unpleasant memory and you ladies will be settled in it. 

Mt Rider, we watched some of the meteor shower. Our lows at night this past week have been about 20-25ish -- which I know is nothing compared to yours! -- but that's plenty cold for around here and so none of us were too keen on staying out very long. DH and the older girls stayed out for about 30 min. DD4 and I stayed out long enough for her to see about 5 shooting stars and then bailed for the nice warm fire inside, lol. 

• Haha 1

We saw a few while sitting around our fire pit.     :campfire:

Ntl Geo, said the meteor shower was supposed to be tonight. :shrug:

The stack of juniper branches is down a third. It’ll probably take me a couple more days to finish. 

Sombody’s dog ran through the front yard and left a present on the garden hose. :animal0017:If I catch it, I’m going to turn on the sprinklers. :whistling:

Time to figure out what is for dinner. :cook:

• Haha 1

I got almost 2 inches of snow and the snowplow just took out my mailbox already. Last winter they just moved it sideways. Now it's on the ground. They broke the post off. I've had nothing but bad luck this year. Glad 2017 is almost gone.

I'm going to Indiana tomorrow for the weekend. So, now my mailbox is laying in the yard and a jacket that I ordered 2 weeks ago still hasn't arrived so it will probably sit out on the front porch while I'm gone. My back is about to break and my head and neck are on fire. Sitting in the car for 5 1/2 is about the last thing I feel like doing. Of course I can't wait to get my hands on that baby but the timing is just off.

I was just thinking...in the past couple of months I spent a day in the ER and a night in the hospital, passed out and threw up on myself in physical therapy, lost my fence from wind and my huge tree fell onto a neighbors workshop, and now my mailbox is history. Along with a new brake job on the Jeep...this has been a very expensive time for me. And I still have to buy Christmas for g-son. And taxes and insurance are due again. I can swing it but sheeesh.

Oh, and I still can't figure out how to fix my garage door remote control. The door works from the wall controller but not the remote. It wasn't too bad using my front door to get in and out of the Jeep in the driveway but it's cold and snowy out there now.

On the plus side, McDonald's broccoli cheese soup is back for the winter! Thrilling.

• Sad 2
4 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Glad 2017 is almost gone.

I AM WITH YOU!!!!   Sheeesh, what a ride this has been!  Mine started in July.....  I'm not remembering much earlier except TRYING to get the disability assessment filled out for my life ins.  But the back side of 2017 has been....continues to be a doozy!

With all the junk Kappy is getting dealt.....and snow plow dude can't see a mailbox with 2" of snow......  C'mon!  Some of this has to be on purpose.  I'll buy it might be flat-out CARELESS for some of it cuz we know SO MANY people just could CARE LESS about others right now.   But I think snowplow dude had to have been 'hunting'.....  :fryingpan:

OK...in Annarchy's case, I'd doubt that a neighbor trained dog to do business ON the hose....  but I'd love to see Annarchy's action if dpggie tried it again!  :lol:

....peeked out at the sky tonite....waited a few minutes....scurried back inside where it's warm!  10 degrees ....I'll wait for the summer meteor showers!  :happy0203:

MtRider  :rolleyes:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

:darthduck:   ....remember our neighborhood is on "Mt Lion Alert"?  AND bobcat has also been sighted.  Perhaps bears have gone to bed now...with a few more nights of subzero. 

Tonite I was just on the phone with dear MO friend....who just got home from hospital today.  2nd try to get bone union in her foot.  3 more months of non-weight-bearing.  :( Knee scooter.  Telling her of my health issues....we've been burning up the email and phone lines in the past 2 wks of our 'stuff'.  

Then Koa GOES OFF!   Like :darthduck: type of BARKING!  Not like I usually hear in the evening when she hears coyotes or something.  So I let her outside and shined my spotlight.  Then I heard it too.  Between our cabin and the house just 200 yds further up the hill.  Not coyotes.  Not fox.  Feline!  Rrrrrow!  Repeated over and over.  First thot is MtLion...which I've never heard in all these years.  Bobcat?  Dunno.  It wasn't a long scream.  I'd expect MtLion to make a more elongated noise...but I don't know.  Sounds like a ticked-off cat tho.  Rrrow!  Didn't hear a hiss.  I've heard that at a zoo long ago.  Like a loud, spit-out 'K' sound. 

I can barely hear anything over Koa BARKING.  I'm shining....more to keep the thing away from us.  We're standing on the second floor porch with good view to that side.  But thick trees between us and neighbor's.  I hung up with K and called neighbors...no answer.  Left message:  'What IS that screaming between us?'  I saw them shining a bright spotlight...as I was also doing.  

Then ....quiet.  Between lights and BARKING.... I guess it left.  Mebbe.  :unsure:    Will watch carefully when DH comes home and unloads a few groceries.   :darthduck: 

Certainly will be carrying heavy objects while walking around these days.....

MtRider  ......can I be done with excitement now?  :buttercup: 

Today we stepped out for breakfast...it's been such a huge/busy week for both of us.  I've been jarring up like a crazy woman and he's been doing carpenter work to put the $$$ back into the van fund.  Jarred up 24 half pints of celery and still have a LOT of it left...I love it when we get "gifted" with produce and fruit!  Jarred up 24 pints (I think...lost count!) of orange/apple chunks & grapes in a lifht syrup too.  I saved all the peelings and put them in the "fruit freezer" for making some jelly later.  The apples that weren't good enough to can, we quarted for Abby-girl and still had 2 bags that went into one of our compost bins today.  Pulled some dead grass and threw it into the compost bin with the apples...they'll compost down pretty quickly without much needing to be done.  I'll be stuffing it full from now on, and we'll buy a couple of bales of straw for the brown.  When mowing time comes, we'll have plenty of green.  Friend brought us several heads of broccoli and cauliflower so I'll be blanching and freezing them.  Steamed one head and mashed it for a suppler meal...sooooo good.  Also brought us a wonderful acorn squash that I steamed.  Mr had never eaten it, but really enjoyed it! Yea!!!!

Seems like the Lord just keeps giving us food to put back...so that's what I do! When it's perfectly good food and they'll be throwing it out I just can seem to walk away :-(  But...we eat pretty good and will even if tough times should occur.

101_0698.JPG

101_0703.JPG

• Like 3

Finished cutting the juniper branches down.

I’ll clean up the stacks tomorrow, maybe. I’m hoping to get some of it into the dumpster before they pick it up, and the rest for next week. 

I put some of the cement around the eucalyptus stump, which refuses to die. When we get the time, we’ll have another fire on it to try to remove it. 

F75EC438-D0B9-4CAD-8553-A24E5C51E0A9.jpeg

4CFEAFD3-CC00-4D06-B267-943D9FE776F1.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow...that was a job!  Aren't junipers particularly tough, fibrous trees? 

Today DH had to use the library Internet again for 3 hrs of study/testing for taxes...again.  [it's like 27 hrs total, by end of year]  I went with him into to village.  After taking over the car at the library, drove to pick up my  mom.  We did Walmart and Goodwill.  This is the only larger village I'll drive in.  Even then, I try to take the back ways.  But we had a great time.  My only chance for Christmas shopping.  :santa:   I missed the bell-ringers for S.A. tho.  :(  How stupid for Walmart to evict them.   Grinches! 

We were kind of in a rush tho....to pick up DH before he got locked out of library at closing and froze.     :frozen:  He got out a bit early and stood outside between 2 doors.  We'd neglected to decide where to pick him up....but OBVIOUSLY {to me} I'd check both doors.  :rolleyes: Then he could take over driving again...to drop off my mom and we headed home.  We drove into the sunset and it was HUGE AND RED.  Like it was about to go 'nova'.   Gorgeous!  B)    Racing to get home before dark tho.....due to MtLion in the neighborhood.  We changed clothes and both hurried out.....but it was dark when we got done.  But with Koa as our perimeter alert,and both of us....we felt okay.   Hardware at the ready to back up the dog. 

Did I mention that last nite Koa spotted the bobcat crossing road from our land to the opposite hillside?  Was pretty dark by that time but the size/shape was still obvious.  Probably not a real threat to us...as long as not trapped.  But while gone today, left duckies INSIDE the duck house...not out in yard.  Koa's got her job cut out for her these days. 

MtRider  .....tired now.....  :offtobed:  

13 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Wow...that was a job!  Aren't junipers particularly tough, fibrous trees? 

Kinda.  I believe Junipers are a type of cedar. Smells the same when we burn it. :campfire:

My branch clippers worked well on most of it.  DH sharpened them and liquid nailed the handle I pulled off while using them. 

After over 3 months without rain, we got socked Saturday night, with thunder and lightning. :hapydancsmil:  It sprinkled off and on all Sunday. Everything smells so good. Hopefully, the rain will make the grass grow. Except now the forecast is saying temps down to the 30’s at night and 50’s for our highs. I will be trying to get my plant/garden frost covers set up today. 

Getting ready to travel again. House sitter is arranged, dog food packed, clothes washed and set aside for packing. I still have to prep the ferret supplies, water and the rest of the stuff that goes with. BOBs are refreshed and packed. 

Did a a little prepping on my tablet, put in info I needed to continue working while I travel.  

Time me to go make my garden frames......

I hope everyone is having a great day. :grouphug:

• Like 1

Good morning!  Sounds like everyone has been quite busy lately!  My Kroger has pineapples for 99 cents  and sweet potatoes for 49cents a pound so I'm going to grab some of each if they are in stock.  My canned sweet potatoes are much better than store bought!  Last week I had game day for seniors then a haircut Wednesday and Christmas dinner out with Sunday School on Thursday.  Busy week!  made a sweet potato cheesecake for the lady that gave us all the pecans.  I gave her a Banana Bread too.  

My glasses should be in at Walmart today or tomorrow.  Will do a little shopping also at that time.  Since I haven't heard any thing yet, I'm about to start some laundry and make a pan of Chocolate Pecan Fudge.  Get some of tomorrows work done!  Dogs, goats and cat are all good.  DH's glasses won't be here for another few weeks. (VA)

I love the fruit cocktail, WE2!  Have never tried that.

Have a safe trip, Annarchy!

And Mt. Rider!!!  Yikes and stay safe, locked and loaded!

General inspection, WDO (termite) inspection, and appraisal today.  I got the seller into the secondary building to talk about the place, and loaded my brain but good.  There are two septic tanks, and I know where they are plus where they drain, and so on.  Was offered the lawn tractor and its trailer plus other accessories for $1k.  It's not the one I had in mind, but the price is a good one, so I tabled discussion.  He decided to leave the wood lathe in the tool room!!!

• Like 4

I had a wonderful visit with the family in Indiana. I could just squeeze the stuffins out of that boy. Sigh.

We went Christmas shopping and I made a haul. Lots of educational type toys. Leap Pad and accessories being one of them. He is still a little young for that but will grow into it in a few months. I found a recliner for him. We sat him in it at the store and he loved it. Later in the evening we went back to get it and it wasn't marked. Son had seen it at another store for about $75.00. The floor lady hunted and hunted for a price and couldn't find one anywhere. The line behind me was getting restless. I told her I wanted the chair regardless for a Christmas present for my grandson and she said how about $29.99. Oh heck yeah. Sold. I told them to wait until Christmas morning to give it to him. Can't wait for pictures.

His mom and dad hinted that it would be nice if I could move over there sooner rather than later. I think they need some more help with babysitting. So far they have been able to keep him out of daycare with the help of his other grandma but she is 71 and not quite as spry as she used to be. Not that I am any better but it would be easier to split up the care among us. That's my goal for this summer. I'm not going to take just any house though. I want this to be my last home. Moving is pretty overwhelming especially alone. One more time!

Goodbye Kiss.jpg

• Like 3

:wub:  Awwwww....  Moving closer to that lil' angel is a good plan.  So is being nearer to your son....cuz none of us is getting any younger.

DH and I are preparing for a drastically COLD front moving in this weekend.  It's been an extraordinary year.  Little snow [dry/dusty] and warm temps except some nites.  Now....winter cometh for sure....   Predicting a daytime HIGH of 3 degrees.  :frozen:     Aiieeee, that's going to be so awful after this mild stuff.  :yar:

So we set up the horse water tank yesterday...filled it during warm weather.  Found a badly damaged hose....gotta replace.  That coulda been on the Waddya Want For Christmas list.  :rolleyes:   Mentally checking anything ELSE that needs doin' BEFORE we go subzero.  :sigh:   Like put bubble wrap on more windows with WE2's method!  [wet one side and stick to window!] :thumbs:

MtRider ....life is a LOT easier if it's not subzero... 

• Like 2