MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Deadly Flu Going Around Here!

mom11

Hi!

Last week I went to visit my Mennnonite friends at the General Store. Only the elderly shopkeeper was there...He was broken hearted. The rest of the community was at the funeral of an 11 month old child, that had died the previous day from "FLU!" This child's sibling, also with flu, had been hospitalized and then moved to another hospital, 130 miles away in serious condition. The shopkeeper's own grandchild was also hospitalized with flu. Both of these children have survived. They closed two of their schools and had over 100 members of their community sick.

My friend asked if I would drive his wife to the dentist about 50 miles from here and I was happy to, but first...I called our local health dept. and asked if they were aware of this death and all these flu infections. They said they were and were watching it, but this was just a bad strain of flu. I told my friends I would drive them, but to please notify me, from a neighbor's phone, if they were directly exposed to this virus.

each year the flu kills many many people, usually the young and eldery and those with a problem with their immune system... what makes this one different?

Originally Posted By: westbrook
I got a flu shot once.. got the flu 6 times that winter. Never again!

Same here! I got it one year and it was the sickest I had ever been. All year to not just "flu" season, started with in a day or so of getting the shot. Normaly I stay out of stores in the winter as much as I can and keep the kids out to helps a lot. This year has been a bad one for me though. But I know it's from getting worn down with lack of sleep. That does it every time! sleep I started taking some homopathic flu and cold stuff reciently and it sure has helped a lot! grin
Originally Posted By: mom11
Hi!

Last week I went to visit my Mennnonite friends at the General Store. Only the elderly shopkeeper was there...He was broken hearted. The rest of the community was at the funeral of an 11 month old child, that had died the previous day from "FLU!"

I'm so sorry, and will keep the family in prayer.
Hugs,

I did the same thing Westy and Kim. Never was so sick in my life as that year I got a flu shot. This is the first year I've had it forever but I got it big time this year. Yuk!

Hugs

We had an elderly neighbor who got a shot, and was so sick, she could not even get off the couch to call for help. "They" can tell me all "they" want, that the shot WILL NOT MAKE ME SICK, but I will still pass. (I qualify for a shot because I am diabetic, but I still prefer prevention) I am wondering about a pneumonia shot though, do they do any good?

Blessings~mrs
Originally Posted By: KimMC

Same here! I got it one year and it was the sickest I had ever been. All year to not just "flu" season, started with in a day or so of getting the shot.

When I first started working at the center I work evryone said get the flu shot...cuz if you don't you're going to really sick. I had never had one. Listened to my coworkers and got so sick I thought I was going to die. I haven't taken one since and i never will again.
Stacy

I've been just the opposite. I got the flu, vomiting etc., every year but never got flu shots. My Dr. told me I needed them once diagnosed with diabetes. I've been having them 10 or so years now and never (knock on wood) had the flu since. I wouldn't be w/o one.

this is what I know.. if I never get a scratch or cut, my body doesn't know what to do when I finally get scratched.

when I am around those that have a cold or flu, sure I might get to feeling a bit puney but I never really get sick, my body builds up an immunity to it.

If I get a flu shot year after year, my body is building up an immunity to that specific flu.. but we all know that there are several different strains of flu.. which is what I think happened. I got a shot for type A and there was B, C, D, E, F and G running around that I got.

I have had the worst flu I have ever had in the early 80's. My temp was 104 for several days, I couldn't get out of bed and then I was so sick for over a month. I did go to the doctor but the pills he gave me to take made me sicker then not taking them.

If this is an indication of what the bird flu is going to be like.. oh my!

I agree with building up immunities Westie. I live on a farm and you can't work with livestock, gardening in the dirt, etc. etc. and not get cut, scratched, kicked, eat cow poop, or whatever else comes along.

The first year I taught preschool I had the worst colds, caught from the little urchins, I'd had in 40 years probably. One right after the other. The next year I'd built up an immunity and I was fine.

But when I laid in bed for 3 or 4 days year after year with the flu, vomiting, temps, etc. and finding a flu shot took care of it I became a believer in the shots. I know many don't believe in them but for me it's worth it. I may be the first to die of bird flu, with no immunities built up, BUT if/when it does it, I'm not so sure being one of the first would be all bad.

Hi Mrsroyer!

I called the FDA last year and inquired about the pneumonia shot. I asked if it would be of any help if BF broke out. I was told yes. I took my entire family and we got the shot. One of my little ones had pneumonia a few months before and one seems to get it about every year...So far none this year!

The shot does make your arm very sore, afterwards, but if it could be a lifesaver, it is worth it. Also several of us had a rash on our arms, but these are expected side effects of this vaccination. Healthy people only need to be re-vaccintated about every 5 years or so.

H5N1 is a different "puppy!" None of us have any immunity to it, except maybe a small amount from recent infections with a flu virus with N1 in it or from repeated vaccinations with an N1 strain. Even this isn't expected to prevent infection, but possibly death. Also, those with the strongest immune systems, are the most at risk, of death by "cytogenic storm."

Many people also feel the flu shot makes them sick, since they get sick near the time of injection. Unless allergic to a product in the shot, you shouldn't get sick from the shot. It is a dead virus and can't cause flu. It also only protects against 3 or 4 different flu strains. If the virus mutates some, you can still get the flu. Many people mistakenly assume the flu shot has made them sick, but the shot is given at a time of year when many, many viruses are going around. The shot only prevents certain strains of flu. Also a lot of people call the 24 hour stomach bug...flu. It isn't, it is a different virus. The flu shot doesn't prevent this. Some flus do cause some diarreah and vomiting, but the flu causes many more severe problems.

They amde extra pnuemonia vaccine this year and your area health dept. should have it.

I'm so sorry to hear about the death of the child.

I know a few weeks or more ago, they were talking about 4 people in MN, only one adult, who had died of the flu.

I do get the flu shot and have been getting them for the past, probably, 20 years. I try to get mine as soon as they come out, but sometimes I don't get them until in Nov.

I do know that each shot is for only the type of flu that they think is going to be bad, and anyone can get a stomach flu. This is what the dr. told me.

I too had the flu, I think in the mid 70's and I was in bed for some time, it took me a month or more to get to feeling like myself again. I was always sooooo very tired and just couldn't get enough sleep and rest. Of course, I had 3 kids at home and so had to keep things going.

As for the pneumonia shot, yes, they do help, and my dr. wants me to get one. You only get them every 5 years, so not like the flu at all.

As long as I can get them, I will. Oh, we have to pay for our shots too.

And, just how old is elderly??? I just had to ask. smile

Hi Cookiejar!

Try again! They made lots of flu vaccine this year and pneumonia vaccine as well. I think a lot of it has gone unused. They are trying to get as many vaccinated as possible, one to keep the H5N1 from being able to mix with someone with the yearly flu and the other reason is to keep production up at vaccine factories. This will encourage these companies to stay geared up in case of a pandemic. They also think that having some N1 in your yearly flu shot, may offer some protection in case of an H5N1 pandemic, since their is some N1 in this years vaccine. Call again, or call your area grocery stores, such as Krogers. I got mine there. I believe there is still lots of vaccine left and flu is rampant in many states. Good luck!

Hi Westbrook!

What makes this different is the severity, which was confirmed by our area health dept. Also, one death in a healthy child and others hospitalized, in such a small community. The people are very sick!

Quote:
the other reason is to keep production up at vaccine factories. This will encourage these companies to stay geared up in case of a pandemic.

There is something SO VERY WRONG with that concept. Why should we have to 'buy' something to keep the drug companies 'interested' in saving millions of people? I've been doing a lot of reading about the drug companies and most of what you AND your doctor believes is propaganda put out by the drug companies to keep you paying.

Question? Can anyone give me the name of one drug that has CURED a disease?

Hugs

It does seem that chemo and antibiotics are CURING diseases but in truth they are KILLING certain organisms, both good AND bad. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for BOTH of those medications and many others besides. But they are not cures as such. Modern medicine does not cure diseases. It does not pay them to cure diseases. It does not pay the drug companies, and it doesn't pay the doctors. A cure would mean that no one would ever have to take a drug or visit a doctor for that disease again.

It is my belief that wholistic health should encompass all forms of healing, both allopathic and alternative. There is a place for both. But I will not hold my breath while waiting for drug companies to find actual cures.

(((( ))))

I have been offline because I did get a 'raging' case of the flu. We also had the flu shot [both A&B cultures}. I'm in a hospital in Houston with horrible pneumonia. Have also had pnu shot. Hopefully I will be well enough to be discharged Wed; and get my little tailfeathers for home. eek It's really bad to be sick away from home.

Hi Skagitgal!

I am so sorry you are sick. I hope you will be out of the hospital and back home soon!!!! I can't imagine being so sick and so far from home. I hope you are getting good care!!!

Archived