MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Deadly Flu Going Around Here!

mom11

((((((SG))))))I sue hope you are feeling lots better and are on the way home as I write this. Let us know how you are.

((( )))

Hi Skagitgal! Sorry to here about you being sick and away from home. Hopefully you will get better soon!

I have never gotton the flu shot and I dont even remember ever getting the flu. My inlaws get the shot and so doesnt my father. They seem to get sick with the flu even with the shot. Guess Im just not brave enough to chance it.

Thank you everyone for your most kind wishes. I'm out of the hospital...they despertly need room...many like me; you can hear 'tami-flu' in every sentance at the nurses station. We have a load found, will load today, probably be home sometime Tue. Thank you all..Skagit.

Hi Skagitgal!

Whewwww!!! Glad you are out of the hospital!!!! I know you probably just want to curl up and climb into your own bed! Have a safe trip!

• 1 month later...

I probably will get both shots this year, when the time rolls around again. Can you tell me the "why" behind this...."those with the strongest immune systems, are the most at risk, of death by "cytogenic storm." Why not those with the weakest?

Hi, Mrsroyer,

I'll try to answer your question and maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Normally it does not benefit a virus to kill it's host. If it did, it would be self limiting and would itself die for lack of living hosts. Instead it uses host cells to replicate. The host then passes these rogue cells on to other hosts via our body emisions such as saliva, urine, or feces. Thus keeping its species alive.

Our bodies, however, are created to recognize foreign cells and to send out kiler cells to irradicate them. The essence of the symptoms behind viral and bacterial infections is the body's response to throw off either the virus itself or the toxins created. This is the reason that they give people with transplants immune inhibitors so their body will not recognize the foreign cells and reject the organ.

It's my understanding with this particular virus, the H5N1, that in those with the stronger immune sytems their protective cells not only mount a stronger attack on the virus cells but also attack their own body's cells. It is the immune response, that is the cytogenic storm, that actually kills the person by destroying healthy cells and virus cells alike, not the virus itself.

This is the reason that immune enhancers, even biological ones could be counter effective, causing the immune system to mount an even stronger attack. I understand that the scientific community has looked at using immune suppressants against this virus but I've heard nothing lately on what their findings are.

Hope this helped explain it a bit.

:bighugs:

mrsroyer, it's the nature of this particular "beast". Influenza virues "evolve" into different things, and this one did it in 1918 and seems to be going there again. It's why the lungs fill up and the body bleeds inside.

I am seriously starting to believe that this will be the year of the Avian Flu. The year before the "Spanish Flu" of 1918, there seemed to be an upsurge of regular influenza cases... a particularly bad year. I think it's not just coincidence that we're seeing more serious cases THIS year.

I caught something very odd this year that I've never had before... something that hurt my throat much lower than I've ever had in my life. It settled into the upper middle of the throat. Then I had a cough that took over a month to finally leave. I know I caught it from the Kindergarten kids, some of whom also had something like it.

My DD got the same thing I did (maybe from me?), recovered, and *now* she's being treated for Strep Throat... a first for our family *ever*.

It just seems like something's changing and getting us ready for "the big one" that will be swift and dangerous. In early April, a healthy 16 year old girl in Litchfield County, Connecticut died of the "flu". Jessica's story (I thought flu was dangerous for the sick, very young, and elderly?)

I started a thread about this thought at P4P:

http://planforpandemic.com/viewtopic.php?t=8261

What do you think?

Archived