MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I Just Got A Canner!

Amber

Well....We took advantage of the OSH 'no tax' (8.25%)weekend and got a Presto canner. They also said if we applied for the credit card we'd get an additional 10% off.

I figured it would be a long time before I got the All American, although DH said maybe it would be ok to get one. I said let me try the Presto and if all goes well and I need another, then we can consider the All American. I had told him about gaskets and gasket failure, but explained the local hardware and the OSH have gaskets available.

Now to get jars and something to can.

Congrats on your canner Amber. It really helps not paying the tax and the extra 10% can really help, too. I have a Mirro I bought back in '78 and have been unable to wear out. Can't replace it as long as it works---darn it. Just a new gasket every other year and its good as new.

thanks Thank you all of you for your info, kind words, and encouragement. Now I have to read a lot of canning info and recipes on this forum's archive. Then to get the jars from the ladies at my African Violet group who have some to get rid of....yea!

The Presto is a 23 quart. I have not opened the box yet. I'm getting all the implements together in one place, so far.

I got the boxed canning kit (same as I got Bookworm last year) and the ball canning book, a stainless wide mouth funnel, a glass funnel, and in anticipation of getting an All American canner someday, I got that book, too. I bought a panel (8 or 9 packaged flat) of regular lids and bands a long time ago from a thrift store, but will have to check if the lids are still good.

I also have a food mill, a blender, strainers, big spoons, two crock pots, soup pots, towels and pot holders. Am I missing anything important besides the jars/lids/bands? Or reading one of the canning books first and the instruction book for the canner....!

I probably will try the apple butter, as that is easy to get the ingredients and I have the appliances needed. I do make more than needed amount of soups, so that is OK, too, for trial canning.

My mom and grandma canned all my kid life, so am familiar in a basic way of what to do.

I remember water bath canning and a cement room off the back porch (the coolest room in the house) that my mom did laundry in and kept the canned jars on the shelves there. I remember waiting for the ping and the few that did not and mom grumbling over them after she tested them -- and the few lids that would not stick; the not so good needing a re-do.

I won't be able to do any canning till after the first of the month. I will keep you posted.

Couple of questions though:

Pigzilla - do you ever need more than the one canner or does that seem to fit the bill? (I am not a Darlene...!!!) queen

J4schofer--I'll be watching to see how your first trial comes out. Brag Away!

Thanks everyone!!!

bighug

Amber

Boy, Darlene, I am grateful you did the canning tutorial with pictures last September 2006. I got a good look all the way through Chicken Soup. Will be looking for more. Thanks too for the canning pressures and altitudes. thanks

canning

Amber

Hi Amber, I have the 21qt Mirro pressure canner that I used to use as both pressure and water bath until I got a big blue enamel water bath canner. I now have 2 water bath canners.

One thing you may need--- a good size stainless steel pot. For jellies, jams and tomato or any acid foods. Aluminum and acid foods react in a not so good way.

OMG, I just read about the salsa! I am going to do that for sure when tomatoes are on sale. We eat that all the time and pay a lot for it too!

OK, Wormguy, I have the canning kit and it has the jar lifter, a lid lifter w/magnet (that Wes says the magnet always comes unglued), a plastic funnel, and something else, I forget what. That box is not opened yet either (keeping it all together).

Pigzilla, I have a large 16 qt and a 32 qt aluminum turkey fryer set of pots, and I have a set of three large stainless steel stock pots, in different sizes--I think 16, 12 and 10 qt., still in the boxes. I will have to dig to get those out when I need them.

Besides getting the jars and the raw produce, I think I am almost prepared.

Seemingly I have been gathering supplies over the years, and then last year seeing the talk on canners got further into preparing for when I finally jumped into this. I guess now is the time since I finally got the canner. I really never thought about water bath, just the pressure canner part, thinking it was faster under pressure. Now I see you need both.

Oh, just got reminded that I need shelf space for the finished product. Got to clean up the pantry, too.

Amber

Amber, you don't *have* to have a water bath canner. You can do that in any deep pot, or in your pressure canner. Just don't make it *pressurized*.

See the links above.

(Unless you get so excited about canning that you find you just HAVE to keep the other side of the stove canning, too!!! happy.gif )

yay.gifClap-Hands.gifclap.gifhappyclap.gif

Archived