MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whats for dinner (2) ?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: mom11
Oh my Angela...This is wonderful! How often can you go?

As many times as I have the money for. Which means I go twice a month usually.
Originally Posted By: OldMaineBear
My dinner was lobster

Yummy. I haven't had lobster in about 15 years.

Dinner tonight was steak (because I found some for a dollar twenty seven a pound) and cabbage cooked with bacon. Oh man was that cabbage good. I love cabbage, little salt, little pepper, cooked up in a pan. I forgot how darn good it it.

Yesterday was sloppy joes with extra onion and peppers; tonight was rice, hamburger gravy, green beans. (Got a good buy on 'sell by date' hamburger.)

Thursday evening little DD watched the weather report and noticed that our evening temperatures were going down. She turned to me with absolute delight on her face and said, "We can have a camp fire! Can we make Hobo Meals?"

She knows that the mosquitoes are less active in chilly weather, so that's what her reasoning is. happy02

How could I disappoint her??? shrug

So I found hamburger on sale at the store (use soon!) and while she was still at school, I was gathering wood and slicing veggies.

She tended the fire while I assembled the meals.

For each meal:

doubled heavy-duty aluminum foil, about 2 feet x 2 feet

"Pam" oil spray

hamburger patty, at least a half inch thick

1 envelope dry onion soup mix, crushed extra to break up bits

sliced potatoes

sliced carrots

chopped or sliced onions

salt and pepper

couple dabs of butter (moistens and flavors veggies)

grated cheese to serve

Spread foil out, spray center with "Pam" so meat won't stick. Place meat patty in center of foil, sprinkle with a teaspoon to tablespoon of dry soup mix.

Slightly build up sides of foil so veggies won't spread WAY out. Place potatoes on meat, then carrots, then onions. Salt and pepper to taste, dot with butter.

Pull up two opposite sides and fold and roll together to seal that long edge. Tuck veggies back, and crush and roll one side to seal. Tip up to knock veggies back, and crush and roll second side to seal.

Place on hot coals or on a rack over them (we use the grate from the charcoal grill for better control). Cook about 7 to 10 minutes one each side, turning four or more times. Cooking time depends on the size of the meat patty and the meal. (It took our big meals about 40 minutes, and only mine was burnt a bit.)

When finished, open carefully (HOT!), dump onto a plate, and sprinkle with grated cheese. NOTE: At this point, if they're not finished, you have the option to dump them on a plate and microwave them, or return unopened meals to coals.)

OPTIONS:

I added bacon strips to them last night, instead of butter. It made a good flavor, and moist, but the bacon never cooked well. I would use butter and cooked bacon bits next time.

Add any favorite veggies... green peppers, hot peppers, mushrooms, squash, whatever you like. Add herbs as you like.

YUM!!! yumyum

Cat! We make something similar here...I love hobo packets. I can't have pam because it is corn and I can't have onion soup mix because of corn and wheat...(allergic) But I simply add chopped onion, a bit of GF flour and spices to substitute for that. I either use butter or bit of oil to grease the foil or use that non-stick version...then use the heavy duty foil over that so it can all go on the grate over the fire. I love your idea of using cooked bacon bits...sounds even yummier.

What fun! Campfire weather.

(Next week is the last event in our season of Civil War reenacting -- and I'm looking forward to making a huge pot stew and biscuits in the Dutch ovens for my guys. (the unit...about 20 of them) The Sgt. is good at getting peeling detail for me...LOL So I never have to peel the carrots and potatoes!)

Thanks for posting that recipe.....I had not thought about hobo pockets in a while. (Cause they didn't have foil in the Civil War era and that is where I have been doing most of my fire cooking! )

Could you try substituting oiled paper or corn husks for the foil?

Leah, if you can put it on the grill, you can use it.

But it can't be something burnable, so I guess you'd have to soak the husks in water. I'm not sure about oiled paper.

Another concern is the length of time it takes. The oiled paper or husks probably wouldn't last long enough, unless you pre-cooked the meat and veggies.

I guess it would, at least, give it the wonderful smokey flavor. shrug

I've heard about wrapping whole raw potatoes in damp clay/earth (high concentration of clay in the soil) and putting them directly in the coals. I would imagine that would work with husks or oiled paper. The food would be protected by the husks/paper, and the wrapper, in turn, by the clay.

bighug

There you go, Judy - authentic, Civil War era appropriate, hobo dinners!

Oh we make those foil dinners all the time! Yummy! Most of the time we take boneless chicken breasts or rope sausage, potatoes, onions and green peppers (whatever else we have) salt pepper , yada yada yada cook cook cook then add some cheese and wrap them back up for a few minutes to melt the cheese! We went camping this weekend. Baked potatoes in the coals yesterday . I can't explain the taste difference..

Anymore campfire recipes you'd like to share?????????????? campfire

Well, we didn't die from eating what I've canned in the jars from the recycling boxes. Or from the throwaway turnip and leek tops that I get from a friend at the farmer's market, and can.

For tonight's soup, I used one jar of mixed greens...turnip and leek tops, overgrown salad, and french beans...and one jar of canned potatoes. Boiled with the liquid in the jars, including the starchy stuff from the potatoes, water, an onion, and some parsley, garlic, thyme, Tabasco, nutmeg, vegetable stock powder, and pepper. Then pureed with powdered milk and potatoflake powder and four laughing cow cheeses.

I fried some dry breadcubes with olive oil and made croutons to go with it.

We had this, on baked potatoes...Brown ground beef and onion, add frozen or fresh broccoli cuts, a jar of Alfredo sauce, cheddar cheese, some Parmesan cheese and heat until bubbly and cheese melts. Pour over baked potatoes and sprinkle top with cheddar cheese.

Oh yum...that sounds good. Here, it's beef stew. I canned it all day...too tired to make dinner, LOL SO we popped open one of the hot jars..... yummy.

• 2 weeks later...

Our local grocery store has whole boneless center-cut pork loin roast on sale at $1.49 a pound. For about $12.00, I cut off 10 "pork chops" for the freezer, and the rest is in the crock pot. I'll go get at least one more before the week is up, since it's "one to a customer" per visit.

I sprinkled it with garlic powder and "Spike" seasoning. (I once had a recipe using Spike, and decided to try it. We like the mix of seasonings.)

It's been two hours, and already the smell of garlic is wafting throughout this small house, even with the windows open. yumyum

I decided to go spicy this time... next one I buy will be cooked with apples and/or cider.

Lessee... pork, some kind of potatoes (probably buttered with parsley), broccoli, and maybe fried apples.

BOY, is my family gonna be HAPPY! feedme But I sure better have everything READY when they walk in the door!!!

Archived