MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The Hardest thing I have ever had to do

Becca_Anne

Last night while my parents were visiting, my border collie/chow mix Rocky bit my mother. It was an unprovoked bite but thank goodness it didn't seriously injure my mom. He has been increasingly skittish the last few months and last week attacked or cat Mud Puddle. This morning I took Rocky to the vet and put him to sleep. I am heartbroken. Max (my older autism spectrum child) who has been afraid of dogs for years had just overcome his fear of dogs and really formed a bond with him and he is inconsolable. He said goodbye to him and gave him a big hug and an ice cube before I took him to the vet. I have been crying my eyes out all morning mecry

Oh hun, I am sorry.. I wish I could say something to help. We had to have a beloved cat put down that went feral on us, so I have an idea how hard this is...

Hugs to you all.

Ah I'm sorry Becca Anne. I've had to do that before but I can't help but wonder if it's possible the bond your son formed was what made the dog turn skittish and perhaps even protective of him. Dogs sense and know things that humans cannot begin to know. But I know you couldn't very well take a chance with a dog that has begun to bite, no matter what the reason.

Do not feel too bad. Remember that the dog served a purpose while he was here bringing your son from his fear. Perhaps another dog will come into your life that will be even better for your son.

I'm praying that God will take this saddness away in time.

bighug

I'm sorry about your dog.

Especially for your son.

Chows tend to be aggresive and unpredictable. Lots of other breeds out there that will be loyal till the day they die. Get a lab or something, a puppy your son can grow up with.

Sorry about this.

GOODMORNINGSHOWERS.jpg Becca

I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through. It has been 1 1/2 years since we had to put Prince down and 2 years for Queen.

SYMPATHY17.jpg

Here are a couple sites you might like to go to and check out.

http://www.petloss.com/

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Here is one poem that got me through the sad times.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/dogspryr.htm

It says:

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

You will find so many more poems and more if you go to the sites.

Again, I'm so sorry. I'm thankful your mom is ok too.

HUGS34.gif

Thank you everyone! I am feeling a bit better today. The vets office sent me a condolence card which made me a bit teary, but I was so touched by their thoughfulness. The kids are doing better and we have decided to get a new puppy sometime in the next few months and let Max pick it out.

No matter how hard it was, you did the right thing. An unprovoked biting dog just has to go. We had that happen one time with a mutt that I think was part chow. Bit my 2 yo dd in the face. My dh and ds both thought the dog deserved a second chance, but no animal that bites without provacation was going to have a second chance at one of my kids. I did agree to it being re-homed to a family without children.

I'm glad you're all going to choose a new puppy in a couple months. That will give you time to study various breeds and to grieve for your lost dog.

Hi Becca, I just saw this thread now and wanted to add my condolences and hopes that in time, the hurt won't be so bad.

HUGS

• 2 months later...

Having to take him to the vet was tough. Not so terribly bad to lose one to an auto or disease but to have to personally go there----my heart goes out to you Becca Anne. As above, losing a family pet is losing part of the family. I try not to get attached to them but have never succeeded--it always breaks your heart. Best to you and glad he is going to get another. We have an old red dog we call "JJ". He is a mixed breed(mostly Lab)that is my buddy. Then there is our Beagle with the long droopy ears and sad eyes called "Buster"(remember the shoe commercials). They are as gentle as snow but still bark lots at strangers. Hope you get a good new canine friend for him to share his life with, wc

• 2 weeks later...

Last year we had to put our cat to sleep, and our kids were so upset. I know exactly what you are going through. Our pets truly do become a member of the family. I'm sorry.

Blessings,

Cootie

Archived