MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

BOOK-o-holic! ADMIT YOUR ADDICTION!

cookiejar

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might be a bookaholic if....

...there ARE NO unread books in your house, because anything with writing on it that comes through your door is fair game!

My DH has given it up as a lost cause. I will never have a book just sitting on a shelf somewhere that I haven't read yet. They are inhaled as soon as I walk out of the bookstore. (What? Y'all don't make your DH drive home so you can read your new book?)

Originally Posted By: babysteps
You might be a bookaholic if....

...there ARE NO unread books in your house, because anything with writing on it that comes through your door is fair game!

My DH has given it up as a lost cause. I will never have a book just sitting on a shelf somewhere that I haven't read yet. They are inhaled as soon as I walk out of the bookstore. (What? Y'all don't make your DH drive home so you can read your new book?)

That does it, I'm jealous! If I read more than 2 words in a moving car I get car sick. I can only look a map for about 5 seconds. sick

I did lord it over my relatives when I got to read "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" 2 weeks before anyone else in 2003. It came to the library but couldn't be let out for circulation until a certain date. I was having major surgery so I put a previous books cover on it and took it to the hospital to read while recuperating. I just happen to mention it to a relative or two and they were green with envy! LOL

http://www.literature-map.com/ is too neat. I can't wait to explore it further when it's not the middle of the night

As to Ranger, he's mine!!! Moreli ain't too bad either ladies!

• 7 months later...

I am bumping this up as Fall and Winter are coming which seem to bring the strongest parts of our addiction out!

*Ahem*

If your home decor somewhat revolves around books (bookcases, table top books, bookshelves). That's me. blush

If you've ever torn the house apart looking for A certain book (even though there are literally hundreds and hundreds of other books all around you).

If you've included your bewildered spouse in the hunt:

"is this it?"

"No!!! That's her second book! I'm looking for the third in the series!!!!!"

rofl

I just found that at the Good Shepherd (goodwill type store) they have a whole section of books. Shelves and shelves!!! .25 hardback and .10 for softcover!!!! I can hit the change jar and shop till my hearts content. Books are part of my preps. I feel like when TSHTF that could be a great asset...not only "how to" books but good fiction.

and..if when you go to the library, their book sale room has your footprints worn into its carpet....

I must admit that I am a book o holic too......and have more books than bookshelves available. I have some stacks that really need to get up off the floor, and some are still unread. I think I have enough man books to keep B going if we lose electric and he cant get on the internet in our town, lol.

Too bad I dont have curious george for the other neighbor. He cant read very well. ( ok that was mean, but he is a pedophile). Of course with no electric as he is addicted to watching movies and now the internet since he got a computer and I refuse to help him do anything on that thing since I dont want to see his history list by accident, lol. Maybe he would just do something noticeable enough to get him back into jail and I wont have to worry about him being bored around here for too long, lol.

Gads, Im terrible....

Originally Posted By: cookiejar

If you've ever torn the house apart looking for A certain book (even though there are literally hundreds and hundreds of other books all around you).

rofl

You just might be a book a holic if...

If you have ever bought multiple copies of the same book because you love to read it so much and keep losing it in the house because you have so many books...or have worn out your copy. (Guilty, I have several copies of Dune, Alas Babylon, and Enders Game)

If you have hundreds of dollars of book credit at each of the local used books stores, and still have thousands of books in your home.

If you have ever spent two days straight reading and read 22 books in your marathon (guilty this past two days LOL)

If you go to book stores, library sales, garage sales, and goodwill, and don't have enough room in your car to put all the books.

If your books are stacked three deep and three high on shelves and you STILL don't have enough room for all your books.

If you have boxes and bags of books you haven't unpacked yet just from this past week.

You started buying kids books 10 years before you had kids. You pack said kids books up after your kids have passed the age of reading them... and put them away for your GRAND kids.

If you find a box of books for 10 dollars, and it has 91 books in it, and you think "Ah cool, enough books for a week!"

You might be a book-a-holic IF...

You have more books than shelfspace

Your books are stacked 2 or 3 deep on shelves

Your spouse haunts CL (Craig's List) for bookshelves because he is SO TIRED of making them

You & your spouse have 'shared' reading a new release at the same time from a favorite author...

You and your husband argue who is the fastest reader when new releases come out..

You know each others' favorite authors and pick up extra copies 'just in case he/she doesn't have this one'.

When a favorite author dies, you immediately go rush out and fill up the holes in your collection because you *know* the prices will jump for the next year or so.

One of you accidentally 'cracks the spine' on a paperback and the other is furious.

Your most common bookmarker is 'tp' or tissue.

You plan your errands around 'Dime Days' at the local used bookstore and feel guilty for not visiting family that live nearby.

You would sooner move to a bigger house than PURGE your book collection...

You volunteered for a paperback swap but couldn't part with YOUR books so you went to Dime Days and bought a few dozen...for 'sharing with others' freely.

Archived