MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

BOOK-o-holic! ADMIT YOUR ADDICTION!

cookiejar

BOOK INTERVENTION:

If you know where every bookstore or Library is in a 30 mile radius.

If you buy books even though there are 16 books still unread at your house.

If you can either quote their store/library hours or the day they're likely to have *new issues*.

If you are on a first name basis with the store help/librarian and they set aside *first in paperbacks* for you.

If you've ever stalked an Author's site waiting for the release date on a series.

If you *hide* your book purchases from your loved ones because they *wouldn't understand/might get upset*.

If passing a yard sale with boxes of books/library book sell off makes you quiver.

If you keep a book on the table by your bed *in case you can't sleep*.

If you've ever been on the way to an important assignment *but just had to stop and look.*

If you've ever read through the night.

If you keep a book in your car.

If the first thing you do when visiting someone is to look at their bookshelf.

If you've ever stood outside a bookstore for the first edition of any volume. (Where were you when the Harry Potter books came out?).

If you read while you eat.

You go ballistic if someone throws away any book.

You go ballistic if they move a book mark, or *gasp* fold a page to mark it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you leap to the rescue when anyone sets an open book FACE DOWN!!! ...shudder...

You can pick up a book and start reading anywhere, because you know it by heart.

You read through the books in your library in a certain order because the authors go so well together.

You have 'comfort' books to read when you don't feel well.

If you always read until you are sleepy.

If you have books from your childhood, which was over 5 decades ago - and you STILL READ THEM!

I'm guilty of most of the above. Although I do dog-ear the pages blush , I NEVER place an open book face down! :darleneswoon: Isn't that one of the Seven Deadly Sins? lol

Here's a few more for you:

*If you have a revolving charge account for your library fines.

*If you keep a box next the fridge labelled "Library Returns."

*If you have to tell your children, "STOP READING and ..." to get anywhere or to get anything done.

*If you can read four or more books at a time and not be confused.

*If you buy books for homeschooling that are several years advanced for your children - although maybe that's just prepping.

*If you've ever read a book two-thirds of the way through and realized you've already read it years ago - or maybe that's just getting old!

I think this addiction must run in families. My daughter is worse than me. She can't go anywhere without a book, just in case she has a few minutes to read. When she was a baby, I would take her with me to bookstores. I had to pick out a book for her before I could get peace to look at my own books. She slept with a book instead of a teddy bear.

I love this!!! You're all addicted.

HSmom the two libraries I frequent most often DO NOT have library fines. They know who has it and if someone requests it they just give us a call and say, "hey you, it's time to bring it back". It's just the greatest.

Don't you just love finding a series that isn't brand new so you don't have to wait on the next book?

My children, believe it or not, have never been readers. Our son has, in the last year, learned to love reading. I keep buying him books (used at Amazon) and the other day he told me he was so involved in a Jeffery Deaver book that he read it while driving his semi. I almost fell apart until he said it was only while he was waiting on the light to turn green. DH said "but even so" and I said "leave him alone, I understand completely". Can you tell DH is not a reader! rofl

Keep dee !

The Christmas present I remember most from my childhood was a huge apple box filled with dozens of old hardback books.

I still have many of them. I would not get rid of them for almost anything.

BING.....BING......BING!

Lori wins!!!!!!

She got 100 % of all on the list!

and She WORKS at a Library too. wink

Michael is right up there with maybe 95% ( he has worked at a Childrens bookstore)

Can't tell you how many books we each read at one time shrug

1 by the bed, 1 in the van, 1 by the bathroom door ( don't ask), 1 or 2 in the Pioneer Room and 1 a round just in case.

and we ALWAYS have a book or two with us when we are out ( just in case we have a few minutes to read!)

How bad is it?

We even have our own 'Lori's Library' here at the homestead to loan out books for friends to read. Most are the 'older' books you can't find anymore at some of the Libraries.

And yes I am reading one now as I am typing called " The Great Wheel"

Thanks - Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Michael2

Ahem - you neglected those of us who have gone to the next level. I have over 500 books on the memory card for my Palm Pilot. And I am always looking for more. I am NEVER without my palm, therefore I am NEVER without a book. grin

Yesterday, when I was downstairs I was reading "Alas, Babylon" in a trade paperback. And when I was upstairs, (nap, bathroom, before going to sleep, I was reading "1632" on my palm.

Oh, and I have about 10 audio books for my IPod. That really made my trip to Colorado last summer enjoyable. And I can listen while doing housework.

Reading - it is not just for paper anymore! curtsey

>If you buy books even though there are 16 books still unread at your house.

you mean you only have 16 unread books! Gosh Gasp! Me? If I was down to only 16 books in the house, that I hadn't read, I would be panicking, I would run out, before I could get some more!

I know when I am depressed. Its when I go into a bookshop, and I can't summon up the energy to buy a book.

I have 3 shelves for unread books. (That doesn't include the ones I put in the proper place in the series, so I will read them in order next time I read the series.)

DUPLICATE BOOKS - no one mentioned them... I have quite a few books that are backed up 2 or even 3 times. Is that bad?

I always read the book that has the chapters coming out, because I can't bear to toss it... Oh, yes... I have 3 other copies. :Blushing:

Tsk Tsk Tsk

and there's more!

If you've ever RE-read a book just before picking up the New book in the series. Just to *refresh* the storyline in your mind.

If you've ever REread a book before the movie Premiere.

Of course you have to re-read the whole series before reading the next book. How else will you keep all the fine points in your mind.

How about when several of you are reading the same series and you get impatient because the person who is reading the next book isn't done with it yet. We share books around in my family.I am waiting on my daughter to finish one now.

Yes! I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series before I read the next one...but, I have to will have to pry it from DS13's hands because he hasn't finished it yet. And why hasn't he finished it yet? Because he is also reading one of the Dragons in our Midst series plus two other books for his reading log at school. I told him he better hurry up cuz now I'm done with my classes I'll be finishing the series pretty fast....

dee

How 'bout........

--if everyone keeps sending you the T-shirt that says: "So many books; so little time!" *sigh*

Guilty of ALL of the above. busted

Rootdigger, can you post some specifics in Within These Pages (for the techno-impaired) on how-which-where you use the electonic device for BOOKS! Please? I've been trying to find this out for a while now. Which electronic device will hold lotsa books. Even audio...cool! Where you get the books to download, etc. I know there are sites for free downloads.

'Course then I'd have to stash this fully loaded electronic device in my Faraday Box in case of EMP Horrors...looooose all those books! eek

MtRider [i have to read this thread to my mother. I got the genes from her!]

Archived