MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hello from MD

Fritz_Monroe

Hello folks. I know this is Mrs. Survival, so I hope you don't mind a guy stopping in.

I stumbled upon your great forum the other day through a thread on another forum. That one has lots of homestead and preparedness information. I was reading about canning and they mentioned this forum. I was amazed at the amount of great information you folks have here. I'm new to prepping for the future and have never done any canning, so I hope you don't mind my newbie questions.

Thanks in advance for the great info I'm sure I'll get here.

dutch-oven-ani-med.gif It's suppertime, have a nice plate of hamburger gravy, peas and rice. I can offer you coffee or a beer to go with it - if Hippie Dad will share, that is...

Mrs. Survival is an alternative to the mostly Men run survival groups with their carrying a 70 pound back pack.. to chasing down and shooting a bear in the woods.

That is nice but as a woman, I neither have the strength or desire to get hardcore. Mrs. Survival offers a more down to earth solution to preparing.

There are several men here that have or are learning to can, they understand the need to stay put because they have wives and children and running around in the woods with a 70 pound back pack filled with diapers on their 2 year old just isn't gonna happen.

You will find everyone in different stages of preparing, some have land and others live in a small city dwelling or apartment. Everyone here is treated equally.

We welcome everyone, and your gender is not an issue here, why if you get into trouble... the Queen will put you in Princess Boot Camp just like everyone else!!! ( I escaped cause she made me wear a dress and drink beer and I was coming out of my top!! polish my nails and wear heels >wink<)

all in all there is some humor, why just look at the porcupine recipes! ROFL!!!

Welcome, stick around, ask questions and did you bring chocolate?

Welcome to Mrs. S! I think you will enjoy it here as much as I do.

I love the way a lot of the threads here evolve into many new ways around old problems! Sometimes, threads get a little off track, but keep reading, because sometimes the juciest fruit is buried where you least expect it!

Mais cher! Don't miss out! apple.gif

Welcome to one of the most progressive survivalist sites on the Internet. dance013.gif Be sure to check out the for-members-only sections downstairs!

--Sharon

Fritz, welcome to the the most imformaitve site on the net and fun. fyi the girls will let you know if you are canning something you should not. And that is busted a good thing to know.

We have so much information it will take you a while to read it all. So dive in and join the fun and conversation. canning

coffee2

Welcome Fritz, good to have another male in the ranks. Don't worry, Westie is harmless as long as you throw her some chocolate every now and then. grin

Jump in with those questions, and don't worry if they sound wrong or stupid. We love helping each other here.

bighug

wormie

John

Thanks for the warm welcome. I guess I'll have to figure out how long the shelf life of chocolate is, huh?

I'm pretty new to preparedness. My wife and I put aside some food for y2k but didn't stick to it. A couple months ago we both looked at the way things were happening in the world and decided that we need to do some prepping. Neither of us think there is much chance of TEOTWAWKI, but we do want to prep for it. We now have between 1 and 2 months of food for us and the kids. We also have some water put aside, but not enough.

We plan on moving out away from the city and getting some land, hopefully next summer. Even if we don't move, we plan on a garden and I want to be able to can the excess. That's why I'm here. I'm so glad that I came across that thread that pointed me here.

One thing that wasn't mentioned above is that on many of those other sites, the people are heavily into protecting their storage. I haven't read all the areas here, so don't know if you have a firearms section or not. But I'll check it out if it is there. I'd be curious of the female perspective of the topic.

Huh? Chocolate has a shelf life??? Who knew? shrug It never LASTS that long around here!!

There are lots of reasons to "prep". Not all of us believe in actual TEOTWAWKI (for the other Newbies, that's "The End Of The World As We Know It").

But as we've seen, storms and other catastrophic events are much more OUR problem than the government's. Like it or not, your own preps give you the freedom to make your own choices in an emergency situation.

And it's like insurance... that you can actually USE! So you have extra food... you'll eat it eventually. Call it a hedge against inflation/higher prices (have you PRICED food lately?? eek ). Call it a stash against "hard times". Call it a storm prep. But many of us have had a degree of food preparations that we have used with thanksgiving when money is tight and that's all we had.

The biggest plus in homecanning is the honest health benefits. You KNOW what's in that food. You aren't feeding those precious children preservatives or chemicals they really don't need. It forces you to make healthy choices about your food... you just don't put the junk *in*.

And there's SUCH a great satisfaction in growing your food (or gathering it from a local farmer), canning it, and seeing those beautiful, jewel-like jars standing in rows in your pantry. It's addicting.

You're teaching your children the ultimate "green" activity... growing and preserving the very basis of human life. It's a life skill... make sure you let them grow things, even if it's the top from a carrot in a windowsill. Sprout some beans, and let them watch the tiny leaves pop out from the bean and reach for the light (sprout more than one so they can examine the stages wink ). You can start that process even now, and then let them choose seeds or plants next spring. Did you know they tend to eat what they grow themselves? happy02

So look around, and bring in your wife! You'll find a bunch of different areas to enjoy. Does your wife like crafting? Sewing? There's a forum for that. Guns... yes. Look down in "Deeper Survival" for "The 2nd Amendment". If you're a do-it-yourselfer, we'd love input in "Handywomen At Home". Readers love "Within These Pages", and there's Geneology in "The Family Tree". "The Orchard" has gardening questions and helps, and if you've ever wondered how our great-grandmothers used herbs and homemade remedies, there's "Nature's Prescriptions". You'll find a wonderful amount of interesting stuff in both the Urban *and* Country Homesteading forums... buried treasures, for sure!! woohoo And so MUCH, much more...

Ask any questions you want... we love to help!

bighug

Archived