MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Step By Step Bread

Ok, historical sourdough recipe, my mixture smelled rather yeasty!  Made a loaf from another site, using the starter.  I don’t have “bread” flour, just unbleached. 
I am excited it turned out so well.  Absolutely no store-bought yeast…

CF23CD12-4116-497C-91C3-B13DBBED7ECF.jpeg

DDAF2580-E17A-487A-B0AC-2F05DFFFB8B4.jpeg

DH & MIL both liked the it, however, DH complained, the bread fell apart.  :sigh:

So discouraged…… :sad-smiley-012:

• Like 3

You might try adding a tiny amount of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to the flour.  It acts as a dough conditioner and strengthens the gluten. That would improve the crumb.  I believe you can buy ascorbic acid through baker’s suppliers or on Amazon.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bread making is my happy place and I bake a couple of times a week or more. I only make one loaf at a time or a batch of rolls as there are only two of us and I reserve our small freezer space for veg and meat/fish.

Here's the recipe I have used for over 40years.

500g flour (white wholemeal or half n half)

1 tsp instant yeast

1 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

1 oz lard

320ml warm water (more may be needed for wholemeal flour)

Rub lard into flour then add yeast, salt and sugar. Mix together.

Add water stirring with the handle of a wooden spoon until a soft dough is formed.

Turn out onto work surface and bring together, then knead for about 5 minutes, sometimes a bit more, until you have an elastic smooth dough.

Oil a large bowl and pop in the dough, turn it over in the bowl to oil all over.

Cover bowl and leave to rise til doubled in size (I use a shower cap to cover the bowl, works great. Nigella...thanks!)

Knock back and knead for a couple minutes more then place in loaf tin, shape to your choice or make a batch of rolls.

Place in a plastic bag to rise then bake at 200C for 35 minutes for a loaf or 16 minutes for rolls.

This recipe makes one 2lb loaf or 6 large rolls.

Depending on how I feel, I either use my Kenwood mixer or knead by hand. Either way works!

Edited by Wychwood
  • Like 3