MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Step By Step Bread

I cover mine with a towel and make sure it is on the back of the counter so the heat/AC vents can't blow on it. It will stay soft for five days this way for me. But....it could be that I eat it in that amount of time also.. smile I also freeze the other loaf.

wormie

John

Ok I had my first attempt last night. It went horrible. I just could not get my bread to rise the right amount. In fact it barely rose at all.

I'm pretty certain it was too cold. My house is pretty chilly in the winter, most times around 66-68.

What are some suggestions to help it rise?

You warm your stove to 200 degrees and shut it off. Put your pan of dough in there to rise with a damp cloth.

You still have to check it to make sure its not getting to hot or to cold.

On mine I set my bread on top of the stove and open the oven door a bit. I also heat the cloth in the microwave.

(I live in Idaho and keep my thermostat set to 65 I kinda know about the cool house thing)

Hope this helps

Brewguy, you might be able to use a heating pad. I know this sonds nuts but...I cover mine and put it under the bed covers. I have a water bed. It rises in about half the normal time.

wormie

John

Thank you armyoffive: These rolls were the best I've ever tasted...They melt in your mouth. My pans weren't the same size and I screwed up the easy direction because I forgot to kneed on the first rise so I let it rise for a hour kneeded it and then let it rise for 1/2 hour...then I made the balls and let it rise 1/2 hour again. My balls were not as pretty as yours and definetly not all the same size and still the rolls were excellent.

I'm telling you if my arms were longer I'd still be patting myself on the back...

I made a sixteen bean soup with ham for dinner and with these rolls. OH MY GOD was that good.

Dinnerrolls.jpg

Next the white bread...From Buttercup. Oh boy oh boy oh boy...

star

Yummy

• 3 months later...

OMGosh....you have the king of all wheat grinders!!!!! I'm so jealous! smile I am so sure your bread turned out better than mine with my Kitchen Aid grinder attachment. smile

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

My pictures didn't automatically download, so I didn't look at them. The wording for your recipe was SO good that I didn't need the pictures. Once I found this voting poll, I went back and looked at them.

Great pictures, yes. But my 3 stars goes to the ease and verbal explanations as well. My family LOVED this bread. Thanks alot

3 stars!!!!

• 12 years later...

Easy One Hour Homemade Bread
Makes 2 loaves

5 1/4 cups white bread flour
2 – 4 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. (rounded) saf-instant yeast
1 1/2 Tbsp. oil
2 cups warm water (somewhere between 100 and 115 degrees Fahrenheit)

1. Mix dry ingredients.  Add in oil and water.  Mix for 1 minute and then check the consistency of 

the dough.  It should be very sticky.  If it is too dry, add more water.

2. Mix for 5 minutes.  (Do not add any more flour after the dough has finished mixing.)

3. Spray kneading surface with cooking spray and turn dough out onto surface.  Knead dough briefly until it has a smooth even consistency (this will only take a few turns of the dough)

4. Divide dough into 2 pieces and place on greased baking sheets.  Cover with a large dish towel and let rise for 25 minutes.

5. While loaves are rising, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  When loaves are ready to go into the oven, use a sharp knife ( lightly spray your knife with cooking spray to prevent dragging) to make a few slashes in the top.  Make each cut about 1/4-inch deep at a 30 degree 

angle.

6. Bake loaves for 25 minutes, or until they are golden brown. 

I usually brush butter over the loaves when they come out of the oven. 

350° for 25 minutes

• Thanks 3