MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

my BIL dropped me off 200lbs of last falls shelled corn from the farm..

I ground 1 full cup corn in the porkert. to that i added 1/2 cup white wheat ground in the blender,, 2 tsp vital gluton, 2 and 1/2 tsp baking powder, 2 eggs,1/4 cup veg oil,1 cup sugar, 1 cup all purpose flour, enough skim milk to make it so i could pour it in the baking dish easy. baked at 400 for 30 mins.

it came out pretty good except the wheat could have been ground finer,should have used the porkert, could have used half the sugar, it had the taste of a sugar cookie. when little kids want more, you know it's to sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I now have a dumb question and I hope you'll all bear with me.

I don't have a grain mill - so if I wanted to make cornbread what are the best ingredients to buy in bulk for storage?

I have to admit that whenever we want cornbread we just buy those little boxes of Jiffy mix. frown

If you don't want to spend a good deal of time pounding corn with a pole and a hollowed stump, or--worse--with a mortar and pestle, you probably want to consider an inexpensive mill. My Corona's finest setting makes decent cornbread meal.

Once while camping, I made cornbread with powdered egg, powdered milk, oil, water, a pinch of cinnamon-sugar, and grits that I put in a cloth bag and sledge-hammered against the split face of a log. The bread didn't rise a bit, but it crusted beautifully and tasted great with a pot of black-eyed peas. I suspect you'd go through cloth bags at an unacceptable rate if you tried to do that regularly, though.

FlaGal, I'm anxious to hear too because my corn bread also comes from a box of Jiffy. I even thought about buying up some more boxes and measuring out how much is in each box. Then storing several boxes of the dry mix together. When I need it I'd just measure out however much is in one box and go from there. Or maybe vacuum seal each of the inner pouches. crazy

Ugh, I think I need a recipe.

Sugar? In cornbread? DarleneSwoonDarleneSwoon Not here we don't. I'll give you my basic cornbread recipe and yall can figure out the sugar sick part...

2 to 3 cups cornmeal

1 heaping tablespoon miracle whip (the real one, not the measuring spoon one)

1 egg

Mix these three together while melting 1 1/2 Tbs lard in #6 cast iron skillet in the oven on 375. After lard is melted and just starting to smoke, take out of the oven and pour most into the cornbread mixture, leaving just a tad in the skillet to coat it with. Mix in lard. Now add about 1/2 c buttermilk and stir. Keep adding buttermilk a little at a time until you have a mixture that resembles a thick pancake batter. Pour into cast iron skillet and cook in oven at 375 until top is golden brown (about 20-25 minutes). Take out of the oven and flip upside down onto small dinner plate.

Now, the #6 cast iron skillet is about 6 to 7" diameter. If you want to mix this up from prep stuff you will need:

powdered egg

powdered buttermilk

lard

cornmeal

baking soda and powder (1 tsp each if not using rapid rise corn meal)

Miracle whip (maybe home made?)

Q

I use the recipe that is on the corn meal box or the one on the baking powder can. They are both good. I was raised on corn bread without sugar too Quilty. DH likes sugar in his and we call that "Johnny Cake". shrug

Ugh, sugar in cornbread---why that is unconstitutional. One of my favorite meals is Cornbread, milk, and onions. I could have it every night but the family would disown me. We simply use milk,oil, egg, and toss it in the frying pan(for skittles) or bake in the oven to lightly browned. wc

How well does the Jiffy Mix corn bread store ?

My wife and I like corn bread on occasion (same with wheat bread/rolls), but not enough to make a mill worth buying.

Thanks

I'm not sure how well it stores yet. I bought 6 boxes and stored it in my freezer for a week or two. Then after I let it sit out over night, I put box and all in a zip loc bag. I'm pretty sure it won't get buggy that way. I 'assume' it will still rise and everything. I've only had it that way for about 4 months. I just got a foodsaver so I think I'll take them out of the box and seal up the inner package.

Next week I'll open a box and try it.

Originally Posted By: quiltys41
Sugar? In cornbread? DarleneSwoonDarleneSwoon Not here we don't. I'll give you my basic cornbread recipe and yall can figure out the sugar sick part...

I agree, no sugar in cornbread! lol

My recipe is my greatgrandmother's recipe, and she probably got it from her mother, grandmother, because my grandmother made it this way, my mother makes it this way, I make it this way...lol

All that's in our cornbread (true southern cornbread) is white ground cornmeal, buttermilk, salt, baking soda and some oil like Quiltys does.

Well, I found a 5 lb. bag of buttermilk cornbread mix at my grocery store so I bought it and made up a batch. It has everything needed in it to make cornbread, you just add water and oil and an egg. I also added a quarter of a cup of sugar.

It baked up nice and golden, and my dh and I ate some with butter...not bad. We agree that next time I'll add 1/2 cup of sugar and it should be just right.

It is very crumbly, though....does anyone know what I'd need to do to make it more cakelike? Maybe add another egg? I'm going to continue to work on it, and then maybe buy more and vacuum seal it and store it in my freezer.

Opinions, thoughts, ideas are welcome! Thanks!!

Archived