MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hurricane Gustav? Everyone okay??

cookiejar

We are not on the coast, but Central Louisiana just got warnings that is will pass right over us with strong winds and rain, and to start preparing also. We will have some strong twister weather where we are. Thinking about going to our church for the worst part if they are going to open the doors for families. This is really scary for me as my husband is on his jackup boat in Port Arthur Texas, not coming home. Have my expecting daughter-n-law and 12 year old son and one single daughter and one married daughter whose husband just left last weekend to work in Alaska for a few weeks again. My Son will not be able to stay home with us, they told them they all have to stay in town so I think my daughter-n-law may go to her Grandma's to go to their church during the storm. praying for everyone in the path of this Horrible Hurricane. And also praying for my husband and his crew that they stay safe.

Fine here in FL so far.... If he changes his mind and shifts to the east though, we will be on the hit list. Not for a direct hit, but in "the cone". DH has never been through a hurricane so he is a nervous wreck right now!

Meanwhile, we are stocked and ready to go!

Praying for everyone. Here in Knoxville, we have already received some evacuees, and are expecting some more. So glad, people are heading the warnings. Take care, everyone!

Lexi, are you used to these storms?

If not, check some basics, okay?

Get a full tank of gas, if you haven't already. If you can't afford a full tank, get what you can afford.

If you have a chainsaw, get the oil/gas mix it needs. If you don't know what that is, go on the internet right now and find out.

Print out instructions for solar cooking and solar water pasteurizing. Cardboard boxes and space blankets make great solar cookers, but you need to have them on hand.

You should have had most of your bad trees removed by Ivan or that one that came after it. If any trees were damaged, but still standing, eyeball them to make sure they can't fall on your home or car. If you are worried about a particular tree, get the strongest rope or chain you can and fasten that tree to one that's a safe distance from your house. (This lessens the chance the nearer tree will fall on your house when the ground saturates.) Eyebolts work best, if they're big enough. Later on, you can hook planters or birdfeeders or something to those eyebolts.

If your driveway is low, drive your car up onto the lawn, the highest part you can easily reach, to keep it from washing down the street. Do not park in the drop zone of a tree. If you have to, park up the road somewhere (get permission) to get on higher ground and out from under trees.

Remember that fire ants float/swim. My son's hands and arms got covered with bites from our little nature-tantrum.

Lunamother, Vic303, and all others in east Texas, if Gustav shifts a bit to the west..... well I was looking at Galveston Bay and my future inlaws and their family members there in Humble TX look like they could get nailed if it went directly over the Bay there as they are really on the northern edge, and Houston on the edge to the west and below Humble.

I am going to pray for everyones safety.

I once was in a snow and wind storm that was 106, well, I thought, water makes stuff slippery especially if its flowing and winds over 125 miles per hour will get you off your feet.

I was hanging onto my son, at 25 pounds he was flying in the air. Luckily I was strong at the time. I was sticking my legs in the snow plow bank on the side of a road all the way up to my seat of my pants for an anchor... and the navy chaplain stopped and got us both across the street, well I think I fell and just crawled...

so please those winds, everyone in the path, if you are there, dont go outside, theres going to be all kinds of stuff flying around as well... hope you can get out before it hits if it shifts either west or east... these were some of my thoughts once I looked at the map just now.... Its going to be far worse than what I put up with that dark december day in Iceland. I was lucky I was so strong back then. The cars were sliding together in the hangar parking lot and a few of the biggest guys there were standing in the doorway to come out and help smaller folks like I was to get out of the parking lot, when I got there. It was downright scary and I know this huge hurricane is going to really wreak havoc. Please be extremely cautious if you are getting so much rain and wind once it gets in close to you if you are hunkering down.

Originally Posted By: Ambergris
Lexi, are you used to these storms?

If not, check some basics, okay?

Get a full tank of gas, if you haven't already. If you can't afford a full tank, get what you can afford.

If you have a chainsaw, get the oil/gas mix it needs. If you don't know what that is, go on the internet right now and find out.

Print out instructions for solar cooking and solar water pasteurizing. Cardboard boxes and space blankets make great solar cookers, but you need to have them on hand.

You should have had most of your bad trees removed by Ivan or that one that came after it. If any trees were damaged, but still standing, eyeball them to make sure they can't fall on your home or car. If you are worried about a particular tree, get the strongest rope or chain you can and fasten that tree to one that's a safe distance from your house. (This lessens the chance the nearer tree will fall on your house when the ground saturates.) Eyebolts work best, if they're big enough. Later on, you can hook planters or birdfeeders or something to those eyebolts.

If your driveway is low, drive your car up onto the lawn, the highest part you can easily reach, to keep it from washing down the street. Do not park in the drop zone of a tree. If you have to, park up the road somewhere (get permission) to get on higher ground and out from under trees.

Remember that fire ants float/swim. My son's hands and arms got covered with bites from our little nature-tantrum.

Thanks for your concern. I was born and raised here, so while its been a little while since I have been through a good one, I am used to them.
Here is what we have, and it can serve as a list for others to compare their hurricane stock to as well, or maybe ya'll can find something I forgot in our hurricane preps!
-generator
-LOOOTS of gas
-Trucks both filled
-Plenty of food for all animals
-Pre-cut wood for windows in case we need to board up
-propane for camping stove
-plenty of emergency candles
-flashlights/lanterns with new batteries and plenty stocked up
-Secured sheds/hay storage (DH sunch 4x4's and 6x6's and concreted them in next to our shed,hay storage, and shelter for the horses and goats. He then bolted the buildings to the wood, and then used tie down straps to anchor them to the 4 inch eye bolts he also put on to try and keep the roof on.)
-80 gallons of water stocked for drinking, more for animals.
-Water purification kit
-livestock markers to write our numbers on the horses in case they get out from a downed fence.
-fully stocked human/animal first aide bag
- plenty of tools (chainsaw etc)
-Easy to cook foods/canned etc.
-Trucks are moved
Thanks again, maybe this list can help others, or maybe ya'll will find something I forgot.

(((Lexi)))

Cool, sounds like your set!

For those of you who are not or wondering if there's more here's a link to the Hurricane section of the soon to be Mrs. S Manual. It's a compilation of websites, links,lists, etc.

(Thanks to Abigail, Ambergris, PCS and other contributors who wrote in public and private)

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...ge=1#Post151883

I just wanted to let you all know that I was praying for you all that are in the path of this hurricane! Keep safe!

We are about 120 miles inland, NE of Austin. DOesn't look like Gustav will hit directly, but some of the curves look like we may get heavy rain. We are still in a flood zone. Been trying to get moved since last year with no luck. ($ an health problems). I'm as prepped as can be except for if we are really flooded. We may end up sleeping in the truck up on the hill.

I am far enough west that I don't know if we will get anything maybe some rain and that we really need. But after looking at the map it looks like it could come pretty far in NE Tex. But it will not be that bad that far inland unless it has tornados with it, which is always possible.

yep, they usually throw off little tornadoes along with the rain as they come on up here (don't tell my son, k?)

we're stocked, gassed and hunkered down- just waiting to see how we can help those who are running from the coast...

ummm, Suzann?

do you have an evac plan?

My younger brother is an engineer with the State of MS. His district is south of Jackson, MS and due north of NOLA. They've been working the interstates all day and most of the night so far, coordinating the evac. The first rains and winds have reached his home now, any prayers for his safety and that of his family would be appreciated.

If Gustav does what 90% of these blasted things do, it will make a sharp eastward turn when it reaches the LA coast and come right up MS.

If it follows the projected path, he'll miss the worst of it.

Although I am safe and sound in my transplanted home in the mountains over 500 miles away, just seeing my hometown of New Orleans in/near the crosshairs again in such a large way has me feeling twitchy and miserable. All of what's left of my family and friends living there and on the lower Westbank of the city, as well as in St. Bernard Parish and along the coast of Mississippi have safely evacuated, but will likely be homeless when this is over. Hmmm...that might be a blessing in disguise...maybe they'll rebuild elsewhere, hopefully. They're the last holdouts...

My mother and brother live near the fishing village of Jean Lafitte (the end of the world side of the New Orleans Westbank), where I spent some of the best years of my life. Gonna hate to see it go...

My heart goes out to anyone in that area or who has family there. Hope no lives will be lost and "just" material damage to grieve over.

Archived