MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hello..I'm new!

gulfcoastruth

Hello All, and Best Birthday Wishes to April ladies too!

I am a "young", now single, 55 yr old lady with 2 grown children and 2 grandchildren.

I am fairly new to the Gulf Coast area, near Pensacola. I lived in the mountains of Montana for several years, and learned to prepare for deep snow and frequent power-outages.

Here, we must prepare for hurricanes and tornados. I was not here for hurricane Ivan, but have heard lots of stories. Most everyone was without power for 3 weeks. Trucks came to neighborhoods with water and ice, but there were long lines.

I have only recently made the leap from thinking about preparing for 3 week power-outages, to preparing for long-term survival.

I live alone on an acre of land, that is about half lawn and half heavily wooded. I live close to beaches and rivers. My son and his family are about 2 min away.

I have many questions, and have already gotten alot of tips and ideas from all of you contributing to this site. I am probably like alot of people, in that time seems short, and the challenge is overwhelming. I so look forward to learning from you and I certainly need your encouragement!

Just finding a group of wise women survivors is a gift! You are already a great blessing to me!

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Ruth

Hello All, and Best Birthday Wishes to April ladies too!

I am a "young", now single, 55 yr old lady with 2 grown children and 2 grandchildren.

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Ruth

Welcome! I guess I would fall into your line of "young" Ruth! I can tell you, you have come to the right place.....everyone here will glady answer any question, and I mean any question you may have. Again! Welcome! :bouquet:

Ruth, So glad you found us, it is nice that our ranks are growing!!

I am young too 62 last Dec. and I have just moved to new house on an acre, however I did not move as far as you did and what a climate change.

I hope you will love it here as much as I do, I have learned so much from these giving ladies. Remember we all started just like you and no question is silly or stupid. I always worried about that .

Can't wait to get to know you :pc_coffee:

Welcome Ruth! We are so glad you're joining us B)

Golly, thanks everyone! You have made me feel welcome alright!

This is an awesome site, and I am trying to figure out how to use it properly! I'm not quite sure if this response is going to the right place, but I'm trying!

Also, you all have such beautiful "signatures". I have been to the Signature place a few times, and nothing happens there. I have clicked away...

I am excited to explore the site, and getting to know you all, and Im glad that no question is too dumb!!

Ruth

Welcome Ruth! I am currently in an apartment surrounded by some six million acres of Wilderness in upstate NY. Later on I hope to move to TX where my son and DIL will be moving sometime next year. DIL is from Houston TX area. I am one of the urban homesteaders but have to prepare for BOB and such for wilder living if it became necessary depending on scenarios that occur from now on. And how to get to TX eventually... so prepping can take many methods and be for all circumstances you could possibly think of.

I still feel as if I am still just getting started although many here on the site have been prepping for years. It is truly one of the best sources of info you could come across and we support everyone's efforts to be prepared. Someday I hope to have some acreage and a home that is offgrid, probably in TX. But for now, I prep just for me in my situation as I live alone. Female and almost 50 myself. Don't know about the young part ! :008Laughing:

Don't be shy about asking any question, someone will be able to answer it. It is the way we learn the answers! There is a wealth of information on this site. People from many walks of life here, various residential settings, so we all know some stuff and adapt accordingly.

Take care and take a look at things! For the signature, if you go to the signature thread, you put in a request,giving an idea of the logo and picture you would like to have made up and someone will make it for you.

Take a look at the blogs and gallery sections, the recipe section, homesteading sections and such and just start doing things you know will help you prep. Making lists helps, I know. I have a snug budget, but I am still capable of doing something every month to add to my preps and skills.

There are great stories and 'scenarios' set up in the various forums, geez, brain freeze on which ones, going on right now, that can give you ideas of difficulties we could face. Many are facing economical and housing challenges amongst us here, or know others who are.

Prepping physically ( working on health and stamina issues), prepping with supplies, food, water, medical supplies, 2nd amendment issues, fuel for heat and cooking, mental prep ( knowing whats out there that can get to us), spiritual prepping, frugal living, homeschooling, there are many ways, emotionally... it all counts and helps us.

The shoutbox feature is a place where you can go, and hopefully find someone there, usually in the evenings although last night it was late night chatting amongst ourselves, can be fun and a way to wind down after the day. It is a nice way to get acquainted with some of the folks who frequent the site.

I hope you find the answers here at the site to your questions. It is an amazing resource. If you look down the discussion forums listings you will find things. Have fun exploring! We look forward to your posts.

GOODMORNINGWHITEDOG2.gif

WELCOMETOTHEGROUPCOFFEECUP.gifGlad you decided to join.

We live in north central MN and this last winter was really harder than we have seen in several years, so it is nice to know we are ready for winter storms. :)

I've always been one to have extra, or so others might say, on hand. :) I was raised on a farm and of course that is what they do on farms.

hugsgirlandflowers.gifHAVEANICEDAYFLOWERSANDBUTTERFLIES.gif

Thank you everyone!! I really enjoy learning about where you live and the circumstances in which you are prepping! I am encouraged by all of you!!

I am enjoying the site and soaking up all kinds of good stuff. I was wondering...where would you suggest I post some of my basic questions?

For example, I was wondering about diatemacious (??) earth, vs. oxygen removal packets for eliminating bugs in grain buckets. Will any bucket with a tight top (and mylar bag) do? I have a few more of these types of questions.

Thanks again!!

Ruth

Hey Gulfcoast

That type of question works out good in "Are you really ready?"

I use Oxygen Obs myself.I use 5 gallon buckets that are safe for food storage, sugar, wheat, oats etc.

There is a site Walton Feed that has a lot of storage info, if you go there and look around you will get a lot of ideas layed out pretty simple.

Hey, Ruth! Welcome!

My mom lived with a neighbor after Ivan. Had to take a kid's wagon down the road, under and over the fallen trees to the crossroad for water or so a friend would pick her up to go grocery shopping. Then she'd carry the groceries home in that wagon, emptying the wagon so she could lift it over the fallen trees.

Please be aware that the soil in your area is very sandy, ill-nourished, and sour. (And I am SO HAPPY not to live there any more!) Plan blueberries and lots of soil amendment.

Hi Ruth and welcome! I'm sure you will learn plenty here. I am from FL (Tampa Bay area) originally and am real familiar with hurricanes. Tampa area rarely gets a direct hit, thank goodness! Hope you have fun manuevering around and that we hear from you often. Miki

Archived