MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

• 1 month later...

Went to our local ACE hardware and ordered in two replacement gaskets for the Mirro 7 quart pressure canner I picked up at a 2nd hand store for $5 :-) That gives me two large ones (a Mirro and a Presto that's new) and two small ones (a Mirro and a Presto that's new). We're going to check with a local plain people's butchery about buying bulk meats so I can can them.

Twilight, have you canned anything lately? Just wondering if you got your problem solved. It is so terrible to do all that work and have your jars break or not seal. Anyway, I hope you have good luck with your next project.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Kuntry Bulk Store for their meat sale (they have it 2 or 3 times a month) and we're neck deep in meats and canning like crazy! LOL So far...I've got 24 half pints and 8 pints of bacon canned & cooling and still have 15# to go :-) Other meats we'll be canning: a case of canadian bacon, twenty four 1# chubs of sausage, a case of deli hame in eight, 22oz containers (won't can these), two 10# bags of russet potatoes that we got for $3.50 a bag, a case of smoked brats (won't can these), 10# tube of lean hamburger, and then we stopped at Sav-A-Lot for their meat sale and picked up 12# of pepperoni for 99 cents a pkg!, 5 packages of 3 in a pack boneless chicken breasts, 5 packages of 3 each beek steaks, and a 3# package of catfish nuggest (won't can these either). Had to transfer from savings, but when meats on sale we felt we needed to "just do it" because a year from now who knows if anyone can afford to eat meats :-( Also picked up 4 more shampoo bars (we love that stuff!), a nice big stainless steel bowl so I can make bigger batches of bread dough, AND I finally bought a lovely stainless steel T-pot that holds about 3 qts of hot water...will make canning so much easier! Besides, if we ever have to heat with wood at the Roost I'll keep it on a trivett on the top of the wood stove for moisture and for hot water. This kind of weather is the perfect time for canning and vacuum sealing! Doing that while the canner's dancing! LOL (ps...don't pay attention to the camera dates...I'm to lazy to keep changing it every time a take a pic!)

post-9087-0-36733800-1424489829_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-30985900-1424489840_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-56316700-1424489848_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-95843400-1424489855_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-19131900-1424489864_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-04569800-1424489876_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-54808200-1424489888_thumb.jpg

Cooling down 12 half pints of hamburger and even had two left over for some "drizzling stuff" over Abby's dog food! I put it in the frig so she'll only get a couple of tablespoons over her dry food. Also cooling down 6 half pints of canadian bacon...even if it doesn't come out "flat" when we want to use it, I'll still be able to use it as a sandwich spread etc. or fry it up and put it on pizza's or casadilla's. Then the worst part of it all was washing up two sink fulls of pots & pans etc...but...it's done. Couldn't use my dishwaser 'cause it's got my sanitized jars in it, can't use the stove top (had canned chicken noodle soup from the microwave) because it's got a small canner, a big canner and my t-pot on it, plus my 2" chopping block with a towel over it that I set my hot jars on to cool. MrWE2's taking a nap...he's been a trooper helping me through this massive canning project! LOL Abby's taking a nap...she's tired from just watching us (or being run out of the kitchen!) The weather outside is in the low 30's so it's still great weather to do my canning in, and keeps the house nice and toasty! Now...in a few minutes we'll be on to our next batch :-) :canning:

By next year you will be so glad you are doing this now. It is SO much work all at once but when it's over, you will have tons of meals to choose from. And, to me, the jars look so pretty; no better piece of security! I was shocked at the price of hamburger a few weeks ago when I needed 1 pound to make a pot of chili. The good stuff (98% fat free) was just a few cents over $8.00 a pound... for hamburger. I'm going to start looking for a sale and can up a dozen or so jars. I only have a couple of jars left and I sort of forgot about it. I was too busy canning soups/stews this fall. This is a great time of year to can. Adds heat and moisture to the cold dry house. Thanks for the reminder!

I know what you mean about running out of counter space. I've had to use the floor sometimes. Fresh veggies waiting to be washed and canned or an empty canner waiting to be washed, cases of jars waiting their turn for the dishwasher. Of course I don't have a fuzzy butted helper roaming around like you do. Lucky girl.

By next year you will be so glad you are doing this now. It is SO much work all at once but when it's over, you will have tons of meals to choose from. And, to me, the jars look so pretty; no better piece of security! I was shocked at the price of hamburger a few weeks ago when I needed 1 pound to make a pot of chili. The good stuff (98% fat free) was just a few cents over $8.00 a pound... for hamburger. I'm going to start looking for a sale and can up a dozen or so jars. I only have a couple of jars left and I sort of forgot about it. I was too busy canning soups/stews this fall. This is a great time of year to can. Adds heat and moisture to the cold dry house. Thanks for the reminder!

I know what you mean about running out of counter space. I've had to use the floor sometimes. Fresh veggies waiting to be washed and canned or an empty canner waiting to be washed, cases of jars waiting their turn for the dishwasher. Of course I don't have a fuzzy butted helper roaming around like you do. Lucky girl.

:008Laughing: "fuzzy butted helper"...who ya talkin' 'bout! :24:

Finished canning for the day. Put up some "peppered" bacon this time (we absolutely love to dust our bacon with course ground black pepper...so we just peppered it, rolled it, and in to the jar it went :-) Even had a little time in between this last batch to do a load of laundry and put up another loaf of bread (we were out). Nothing like a end piece of fresh, hot, homemade bread slathered with butter, honey & cinnamon...here's a "dressed up" slice for my friends here!

post-9087-0-77712600-1424575710_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-81187600-1424575747_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-12437400-1424575787_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's

Last bit of sausage being cooked down, and then into the canner it will go. Vacuum sealed the catrish nuggest. Still have some packages of beef that we'll need to can ... but ...gotta go get some more jars tomorrow. I'll do the potatoes last because I'm going to try out my new Tattler lids :-) Would rather lose some 'taters and meat :-) Frig is full, frig freezer is full and small deep freeze is full, and pantry has box and after after box of canned meats that will find their way to the Roost before long. Still have the chicken and what we're canning now to cool so I can remove the lids & wash them. THEN ... labeling ALL of them. Gave MrWE2 a big hug and said "next time we go buying this much meat, let's remember this" :-) :whistling:

Going tomorrow to pick up more jars...ran out! Can't believe it! I've stocked jars for years (still have some quarts, but I seldom use qts. just for two people) and they've all been used to set back our precious goods. Ping, ping, ping, ping, ping, ping,ping and more pings....out of all of this 3 days of canning ... only 2 didn't seal. Yippee! :canning::offtobed:

Finishing up 18 pints of pork-n-beans (and we tested the leftovers and they are delicious!) and have 18 pints of potatoes that will go into the canner next. Then it's "done" ... for awhile :-) :008Laughing::canning: Butcha know what? Don't regret it one bit! Oh, Abby-girl is the official "inspector" ... waiting to see if of them 'taters jump ship :-(

post-9087-0-20701200-1424990604_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-87323200-1424990695_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-94375200-1424990987_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-02177700-1424991134_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-54004700-1424991915_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's

Looking good WE2's!!! I love canning. Didn't do any last year but planning on to this year. Only lots of MayHaw jelly in jars and juice in the freezer because our two trees made so many and gave many many gallons away. Hope to buy me a new gas stove and freezer before my garden is ready for harvest.

Thanks Jasminegirl :-) We just finished cleaning everything up; rings washed & dried & ready for another canning session. Jars all washed, dried, labeled & in boxes for their trip to the Roost. Took my "soap sliver" jar and poured it's contents into my designated blender, added my washing soda & borax and some boiling water and I've got another gallon of laundry soap ready for use. Noticed when I washed all our kitchen towels (we used a bundle while canning) that my fabric softener jug was getting low so I'll be making up another batch of that shortly.

Got the last 4 quarts (total of 11) of vegetable soupe with kailboska (?) slices...used Tattler lids. They sure look pretty :-) But not good for long term storage...too costly and I'm thinking not rodent proof since they are hard plastic with the rubber gaskets "somewhat" exposed once the rings are removed.

post-9087-0-97185300-1425517784_thumb.jpg

Yes Jeeps...we've been busy :-) We saved some of the pork-n-beans, chicken, and this soup for this pantry. All the rest went to the extended pantry. We've been cutting a lot of the salt out of our diet, and store bought soups are full of it, so we're canning up our own, keeping it handy here, and ready to eat. Next comes bean soup...we have 3# of pintos waiting :-) I have several divided, vacuum sealed pouches of turkey diced ham bits that I'll put in each jar when we can the bean soup. Then...I'm planning to put together a chicken soup-type base where all we need to do is heat it up and add noodles to have homemade chicken-noodle soup. ps...because when warmer weather comes we'll be putting in some gardening buckets and working on The Roost...and doing some RV'ing!

Edited by The WE2's
  • 3 weeks later...

Didn't can it but.. the first strawberries on the market are now, strawberry jalapeno sauce. Oh my, how delicious is that!

On bread with soft white cheese. It's in the fridge now and might not make it to the weekend.

14 pt. blackeyed peas, 2 pt. bacon, 7 qt. chicken spaghetti mix....

this is the first time I've canned bacon... it looks good..... I will

try it soon and if its good I'll try to can some more.

(if I can get some sales, haha)

Had both canners going today since it's a rainy/stormy day and we can't work at the Roost :-( We knew the storm was coming our way so buttoned up the exterior of the house where MrWE2's been removing the termite damage etc. Finished canning 16 quarts of what we call "Cajun Bean Soup"...Having both canners going at once sure made the job quicker! Oh...that 70 yr.old canner? It heated up quicker (watched the gauge) and held the heat a lot better than my new one :-) Anyway...did a fine job! Wanna see?

post-9087-0-87702600-1427243827_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-39416000-1427243855_thumb.jpg