MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

I dragged my boxes of free pears to Wis and canned most of them while taking caring of my mom. I ended up with 14 pints. I gave two pints to my SIL after borrowing the lifter tools from her. We were both very happy.

Back home now and should finish the slow-ripening leftovers tomorrow before master gardener class. Not much spare time around here. :hapydancsmil:

I ended up with 16 of the 1 1/2 pint jars (spaghetti sauce jars) and 8 pints of pears. I'm giving DD1 the pints. There is about 1 1/2 bushels left to do but they're not ripe enough yet.

DS and I are going tomorrow to get 3 bins of apples. This is about 60 bushels. We have already sold 42 of them and we'll use the remaining 18 for applesauce, drying and eating fresh. Last year we kept 21 bushels but this year we were able to pick up 6-7 bushels from a friend's friend's tree plus our trees had a good crop. We canned over 300 qts of applesauce last year and only have about 50 qts left!

Oh, the weather outside is frightful

But my kitchen is so delightful

With my canner upon the stove

I'll let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. PING!

It's 25 degrees and we have SNOW. It's really coming down right now. Lake effect. I have a canner ready to start doing it's thing. I had leftover stuff to can of different things but not a canner full of just one thing. So, I have a few jars of ham and potatoes, ham and veggie soup and sausage with potatoes and green beans. I've never done a 'mixed' canning before but it should be fine since it all cans for 75 min. and it's all pork and veggies. Those 16 jars should round out my canned meals in a jar. I might do another small (8 jars) of chicken veggie soup when I have everything else done I want to do. I still want to do bean soup. Sigh.

Six more pints of pears. FINALLY done. :hapydancsmil: A total of 22 pints that were free from a church's side yard. I set-aside a quart for the pastor and will run it over to him this weekend. I also sent off a few boxes to a local food kitchen. There are only so many pears I can peel before moving on to something else. :mornincoffee:

I needed room for our Thanksgiving gobbler so pulled out some chicken quarters and cooked them (purchased at .69 pound earlier this year). I ended up with 15 half-pints of meat and 14 qts of chicken broth. I got double the broth because I boiled the bones and skin of the picked-clean birds. A great haul but it was a long day. :0327:

Beans! I finally got to can some ham and beans. I ended up with 35 pints. After I finished canning the last batch I started doing clean up. I found the bowl of chopped onions I was supposed to add to the mix. Oh well, I can't really taste them in the soup anyway. That's what I'm telling myself anyway. :sigh:

This the second time I've ever canned soup (Great Northern) beans. The first time, back in the 80's was a disaster. The lids popped off. I think I filled the quart jars too full. In these jars I noticed some of them have a solid mass of bean in the bottom. Is that normal?

8 quarts white beans, 6 quarts turkey soup====saved the remains of the Thanksgiving turkey and did some dry beans, makes it so much easier when I don't have a lot of time.

I've been kind of lazy since the holiday. Now I've got to get in the attic and get all the Christmas decorations out. I am not ready for this but the 6 year old sure is . Where in the world am I going to put a tree in this little house?

I successfully canned 7 qts of chicken.

I almost did not even try as my last canning was such a failure.

I have canned for over 40 years and never had this problem.

I had three to not seal, two jars to break in the canner. The jar

breakage has really got me stumped. The two jars broke in two

different places on the bottom of the jar with slivers on two

sides of the jar and tiny holes that ruined the contents or

allowed them to leak.

So out of nine there was the salvage of only 5.

I use an AA canner and it had the protective plate in the bottom.

I have canned for over 40 years and never had this problem.

I had three to not seal, two jars to break in the canner. The jar

breakage has really got me stumped.

Off the top of my head that would appear to be temperature shock. The most common is direct contact with the heat source but since you say you were using the platform plate I would look at your heat source, possibly butane/propane? Even with a platform a high BTU heat source could still be too much. Another cause is loss of water. You should still have about an inch of water left in the canner at the end of processing. Another possible cause is removal of the lid to soon/fast causing a dramatic exposure of cool air to the superheated jars/water. Less common is a cracked or chipped jar.

This is just an idea of things to look at when going back over your usual processing steps.

Edited by Canned Nerd

Electric range, jars sitting in warm water during filling.

Water temp checked before adding jars.

I heard the one break probably 10 minutes after removing from

the burner. After the canner was off the heat I left and the

canner was cold by the time I got back. Plenty of water left in

the canner nearly two inches.

I will just weather the storm...........