MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

Most of this will go for the dog/cat. I got a case cheap,

past its prime as it was overly freezer burned.........

Otherwise,

Visions of pot pies danced in my head......

a la king on toasted homemade bread....

sandwiches with lettuce and spice

Now that really sounds nice!

One of our forum poets! Hugs!

• 2 months later...

In the last week or so, I've canned 60 jars (not including 2 that didn't seal & 1 that broke)- kumquat jam, navy beans, beef, chicken. beef stock, chicken stock & turkey stock. I got some AMAZING deals on markdown meats & came home with FOUR bags.

Later in the week, I'll start up again- turkey, hammy beans, more turkey stock, ham & blackberry jam. I'm also trying to clear through the freezer :)

• 2 weeks later...

We were "gifted" with eight, 1" thick lamb chops...all nicely professionally USDA vacuum sealed...from a "plain people" source. They're in my presser cooker now getting nice and ready for my pressure canner...after I slip out two for supper! LOL Temp outside is VERY chilly, so nice day to fire up the canner. Will be searching the deep freeze too since I'm on a binge :canning: Found a nice Sprouts store opened up about 100 miles or so from us, so we'll be making a "day trip" there buy fresh produce etc., to can since we're not putting in a garden this year.

• 3 weeks later...

2014 will be a canning free year for us. We'll be stocking commercially canned stuff instead (it's cheaper) so we can move ahead in our goal of having "some food" to last us 3 years. Controversial...yes, I know. But...it works for us :-)

I'm looking for direction on how to can seitan. Since some recipes for making it use the pressure cooker, and it is simmered in a flavored broth, why couldn't one put the uncooked seitan in a jar with the flavored broth (leaving head space of course) and simply cook it in the jar while canning it? The only tricky part would be allowing for the swelling of the gluten as it cooks....it must be possible, it's done commercially....Hmmmmmm. Still hunting for info on this one.

Unfortunately just because it can be done with expensive and very specialized commercial processing methods does not mean it is possible nor safe to do by simple home canning. The stated "tricky part" is a prime reason why pasta, rice and similar is not used.

11 quarts of chicken, 1 blew out the bottom of the jar and 1 blew out the side. Strange since they were both on the top layer. :( 13 quarts of dog food. At least Samson will be happy.

:wormie2:

John

No reciepe. When I can chicken and it is a whole bird, everything that we don't eat goes into a pot and boiled. I draind off the broth and can it, then add water back to the pot and reheat and then can that for the dog. Giblets, wing tips, skin, ribs, back, all go into the pot. When canned, the bones are so soft that I can mash them with my fingers. I wish I had a dog food recipe taht was cheap to make.

John

Edited by WormGuy

I want those prices!!! Have to wait for nice weather as I'll need to can outdoors. I do have a bit of room in the freezer now but we just put a 1/2 beef in there so the budget is hurting.

Wormie, I'll look at some of my books for less expensive dog food. I was just wondering over my beef broth soup if the butcher would give us bones for the dogs

Supposed to be against the law for the butcher to have bones after processing. They are supposed to be picked up by a special unit that goes around to all the butcher shops. The butcher can be fined for selling/giving away the bones.

Mad cow disease you know...the meat off the bones is okay...........

No reciepe. When I can chicken and it is a whole bird, everything that we don't eat goes into a pot and boiled. I draind off the broth and can it, then add water back to the pot and reheat and then can that for the dog. Giblets, wing tips, skin, ribs, back, all go into the pot. When canned, the bones are so soft that I can mash them with my fingers. I wish I had a dog food recipe taht was cheap to make.

John

Thanks! Do you also feed kibble, then? I've got our pup on some homemade food & kibble right now. I made a huge batch & froze it in portions. He als gets apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, whey.

Yep, he gets kibble and whatever I can throw into his bowl. He will only eat kibble by itself if he hasn't eaten in 2-3 days. Now before anyone jumps and says I'm mistreating him, I am not. He has a bowl full of kibble and refuses to eat it unless it is mixed with something else. I have tried several types of kibble from Blue to 4 Health & others. He flat will not eat it unless he is starving. Goffy dog, yep but I love him. Oh, the last time he was weighed he was 162 lbs., so he ain't hurtin.

John

I will be canning the 20lbs of chicken quarters I got yesterday for $.59 lb !!

Fantastic price! How do you can with the quarters? Do you cook it first? Or raw?

Edited by dogmom4

14 pints of chicken broth today.

Dogmom, I cut the quarters into a leg and a thigh, skin and trim off any fat, then put into jars raw. Process at 10 lbs. for 90 minutes with no added liquid. it is yummy.

John

Yep, he gets kibble and whatever I can throw into his bowl. He will only eat kibble by itself if he hasn't eaten in 2-3 days. Now before anyone jumps and says I'm mistreating him, I am not. He has a bowl full of kibble and refuses to eat it unless it is mixed with something else. I have tried several types of kibble from Blue to 4 Health & others. He flat will not eat it unless he is starving. Goffy dog, yep but I love him. Oh, the last time he was weighed he was 162 lbs., so he ain't hurtin.

John

Goodness! What breed is he? We had a Saint mix. Thankfully he was a MIX, & only topped in at 112.

Thanks for all your responses :)

That's right. I knew that (duh!!!).

Today I'm canning mushrooms & broth (separately). I'll report back how many. I had to sit for a few. We've been prepping food all morning. Now I'm waiting on the mushrooms to come to a boil. I also set 2 liters of cauliflower to ferment. YUM!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...