MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

:hi:

Finally finished the zippered pillow cases. The top of my thumb looks funny with a dozen needle marks near the knuckle. Lol, DH said I should have slowed down. Probably.  I had to use my quilting glove to push through the upholstery material. It was leftover from when I made our pleated Travis rod curtains. It seems to add a nice contrast in the living room area. 

1C5D507D-52D2-4615-A595-3EB903659C76.jpeg

A9E78EE6-757E-4E59-A168-B6B0E9E81300.jpeg

• Like 3

They look nice, Annarchy!  Busy day today!  DH to doc and then to hosp. for chest x-ray as he has been very short of breath lately.  Not a smoker!  Got rx's filled.  My day started with getting my labs from the new doc.  All my numbers look good!  Then to the vet to retrieve my copies of all dog's rabies shots which I forgot about yesterday.  Then met Gene at doc and followed to hosp.  I went to Walmart for rx and a few groceries, then to H&R block to pick up taxes, then to ins. co. to talk about getting dh life insurance.  Then to produce stand for local honey and finally to gas station to fill up jeep.  That was a big day for me, dh came home shortly after hosp.  Hope to stay home tomorrow and do eBay!

• Like 2

That is lovely Annarchy!  As Ambergris said, very restful. I love those colors. Just my style.

You really had a busy day Miki. Praying that your DH X-rays turn out to be nothing too serious.

I have a few errands to run today too. Mail, Rx, gas and I'd like to swing by Best Buy to look at a tablet. Wal-Mart has some inexpensive ones. I just want something portable so I can watch Youtubes etc. around the house. So, I'm thinking a cheapy would be good enough even if it only lasted a couple of 3 years. Still undecided. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

I have a few errands to run today too. Mail, Rx, gas and I'd like to swing by Best Buy to look at a tablet. Wal-Mart has some inexpensive ones. I just want something portable so I can watch Youtubes etc. around the house. So, I'm thinking a cheapy would be good enough even if it only lasted a couple of 3 years. Still undecided. 

The kids and I have Kindle Fires.  I have the 8" one, and it was $50 when I picked it up.  You have to use the Youtube website, but it works pretty well for not a lot of money.

I ended up at BestBuy yesterday because my laptop decided that it didn't really need a screen that stays in one place or hinges properly.  They're fixing it under the extended warranty, but that'll take 2.5 weeks, I have work to do, and we'd talked about getting me a new one anyway...

Off to the doc today for some blood tests. Dr was happy, my white blood cell count is 9 times higher than their 'goal' count.  Don't have to go back for 3 months now.  Just get my 'port' flushed.  I'm keeping it in, social security will pay to have it flushed once a month, and it is sooooo much easier than trying to use an arm vein (my veins like to rock, roll and hide, and I get extra holes when they use the arm veins).  Mary found our missing kitten today - several days ago the cat moved her litter and one was missing.  We looked all over and could NOT find it.  Well, today, Mary heard it crying and followed the sound - baby had fallen to the bottom of a packing box in the closet.  Near as we could tell, Mama cat dropped it while transferring to the new nest, and could not get it out.  She was looking for it constantly.  So...I picked up some kitty formula (just in case we had to hand feed it) BUT Mama Cat came through, cuddling it to warm it up, cleaning its rear end, and most of all letting it nurse whenever and as much as it wanted.  Good Mama Cat!  Baby might have kitty ptsd tho...he screams loudly when picked up.  But he will live and grow.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2

I'm so glad you found your kitten, Kappy!  Poor thing!  And poor mama!

I am staying home today!  DH was told by a nurse yesterday that I should boil some cabbage in beef broth and to eat about a 1/2 cup with every meal to heal his ulcer.  So cooking cabbage shortly!  That would be a big help!  The nurse said she did it herself!  

Now if his breathing problem will resolve itself also, that would be great!

So thankful my health is holding out!  Have a good day everyone and stay warm!

@ The CG.   KINDLE FIRE!   Why didn't I think of that!   :sSig_thankyou:

I've had a Kindle Touch reader since 2012 so I'm familiar with the products. I've never had a single issue with it. I went on Amazon and checked the Fire Tablets out. They have everything I was looking for and then some. I can watch Youtube and everything else on the Internet. Plus a whole lot more. There are apps on it for tons of movies and old TV shows for free. I am a Prime member. Also a lot of TV stations like Fox, ABC, CBS A&E etc.  Oh, and the two home improvement channels I like too. Plus...it is cheaper than the cheapest name brand one I found at Best Buy that came with nothing. Plus all of the books I've downloaded will be on it. I know I'm preaching to the choir but I'm excited. I ordered the Kindle Fire 10 HD tonight.   :hapydancsmil:

• Like 3

:woohoo:

I was useful! 

I was kind of concerned that I might have post-concussion syndrome popping up yesterday, 5 days after I whacked the crap out of my head while rearranging stuff in the backseat of the truck.  The oh-crap handles REALLY need softer padding on them.  Luckily no headache (or random blurry spots in my vision) this morning.  *crosses fingers*

We have a new-to-us shed being delivered this afternoon.  I need to figure out how to tie that thing down before the next big blow so it doesn't decide it's a tumbleweed instead of a shed.  I'll also need to replace the wood floor in it (it's just heavy duty plywood over metal beams), as it was having issues and I told the guys who are moving it that if they needed to cut holes in it to strap it down, that was fine.

Hubby is liking his new job, and is already officially the foreman.  His mom commented last night that he seems happier than she's seen him in a long time.

Edited by TheCG
  • Like 2

Wow, TheCG.  That's a fantastic blessing about your dh!!!  :amen:  :cheer:   It's hard to face CHANGE & UNKNOWN.  Personally, I hate those two...especially UNKNOWN.  :behindsofa:  But sometimes God has the most special things waiting. 

We're coming up on a sort of UNKNOWN early next week.  But if all goes well, we'll be positioned much better.  :pray: 

We've been particularly BUSY this past week or so.  My dad strained a shoulder muscle and it keeps pulling out the shoulder joint.  OW!  So DH ....or DH and I ...have been traveling to their place so he can work on my dad's shoulder.  I shoveled/swept their steps/deck.  DH drove my dad to PO box.  We bring their newspaper up from down their STEEP but short driveway....  All these things that they do themselves UNTIL something happens.  It's been emphasizing how we need to be close to our kids....by the time we're this "fragile".  

I hate the word "fragile" but I'm defining it as: just one injury/illness away from not being about to DO for ourselves WHAT NEEDS DOING.  That came real close this summer.  With me still not fully weight-bearing on damaged foot...then DH having suddenly blood clot in lung....  :faint3:  

I think Jeepers is feeling that too, once her son moved, right?  So many of us are reaching/have reached that age where having a backup is wise.  :shrug:  My folks just were fortunate to be self-sufficient for this long.  My dad's nearly 89 yrs old and my mom right behind him.   A blessing that they do this incredibly well! 

MtRider ...pondering  :scratchhead:

• Like 2

:pray:

We live in my in-laws' backyard, both to help them and to help us.  If I can't make it home to get the kids off the bus, they're there.  If MIL has a problem and FIL isn't there, odds are I'm next door.  If MIL falls in the middle of the night, it's a phone call and a short walk for hubby to go help get her back up.

Edited by TheCG
  • Like 2

Good Morning!  

7 am and I am still waiting for the sun to come up, then, I will get to house cleaning. 40* but the forecast says we will be getting up to 85*. Already. 

The hummingbirds are chasing each other around the feeders, trying to empty them.   :)

On 1/24/2018 at 5:44 PM, Ambergris said:

Restful color scheme.

Thanks!  I didn’t think about it like that, now I do. Lol. It’s the only room in our house that we keep mostly uncluttered. :ashamed0002:  It’s also the customers conference room for doing paperwork. 

I planted tomato seeds in cup of soup cups last week and they are sprouting. I’ve been taking them out into the sun every day, as soon as the temperature gets above 65*. I am hoping to plant some cabbage and more onions next week. I hope I didn’t wait too long, and that it doesn’t get too hot too soon this year. Otherwise, all this effort will be a waste. 

Most of the rye grass seeds did blow to the far end of the yard and we had to replant. It kinda looks like we only planted 1/2 the yard. :whistling:

Here comes the sun, time to get to work. I hope everyone has a beautiful day. 

• Like 2

I grilled out yesterday and made a 3 bean salad all before the rain started.  Supposed to rain all day today.  Might make a cheesecake later.  A friend gave me a case of12- 24oz sour creams and I found a recipe using more sour cream and less cream cheese.  Need to dust and empty trash, maybe list eBay and then relax.  I went to our tiny little hospital in my town and asked if I could read to anyone.  They sent my name to be approved and they don't seem to think it will happen as there is no one else doing that.  It is kind of like a hosp/nursing home I think.  Thought there would be more enthusiasm.  If not, I can go a few more miles and there are nursing homes.  I just wanted to volunteer in my little community.

Have not heard back about dh's chest x-ray so we are going in Monday to follow up.  Got our taxes done and sent.  Still need to go to VA but I think we have life insurance set up to get.  That is about it.  Been a busy week.  I missed 2 Church activities because of docs, etc.  Have a good day, you all!

• Like 1

Quote from Mt. Rider.....>  "I think Jeepers is feeling that too, once her son moved, right?  So many of us are reaching/have reached that age where having a backup is wise.  :shrug:  My folks just were fortunate to be self-sufficient for this long.  My dad's nearly 89 yrs old and my mom right behind him.   A blessing that they do this incredibly well!"

Amen sister!  It hit hard. What a wake up call that was/is.  I've always prepped for when I was unable to get out for a short time but so many other things pop up when you need another person available. Health issues, car trouble, home improvement, heavy items, yard work and the list goes on and on. Also simple things that are too hard for older wrists to turn. It's those little things that can really get you. What's that saying, "The Devil's in the details". So true when you are flying solo.  

Two weeks ago I had to throw away a glass bottle of Starbucks mocha frappuccino because I tried for 3 days to open it. If I fall and break something I'm up the creek. I'd probably have to go to a rehab place to recover. Son and DIL are great and would bend over backwards for me but not being 5 1/2 hours away.

I think I've prepared for about anything. Except for son moving away. And of course that's what happened.

• Like 2

Woo-Hooo. My Kindle Fire came today and I love it. I've already got over 100 documentaries in my waiting list to watch. That's not even counting movies and TV stuff or Youtube stuff.  I'm going to do one thing at a time so I don't over load it. I'm doomed. Doomed.

Thanks for the suggestion The CG!  :hug3:

Oh Lawsey, I just told 'Alexa' to play "Beast Of Burden" by the Rolling Stones and within seconds she played it. Squeeeee.

Edited by Jeepers
Added something
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

A quiet day today.  Drove into town to go to the 'sister' credit union to the one we are members of back in Wisconsin.  Also looked for the VA clinic for Mary - she is coming up to having to get an appointment soon; did not find it, tomorrow we will try again.  Also we will find my internists office, I have an appointment coming up in early Feb.  Today was an especially good day, because I think I discovered why I have been getting increasingly painful (and frequent) muscle spasms in the back of my legs. 

I was re-reading an Adelle Davis book (she was a nutritionist back in the 70s - very good, had a PhD in nutrition, all her info had cross references to the med journals she got the info from...all in all she was very accurate and very good.)  Anyhow, I was looking for a vitamin regimen to 'healthify' myself after chemo and I found the ratio of magnesium to calcium in supplementation should be half as much calcium as magnesium.  (I also was 'reminded' that if the ratio was off you could CAUSE deficiencies....hmmm.....muscle spasms are a symptom of magnesium deficiencies, and my ortho doc has me on a HIGH calcium regimen (no magnesium, though)...hmmmm......  

So I got out the magnesium and hey, presto....hardly any nasty painful spasms today!  So I'm adding magnesium to my regimen to balance out that calcium supplementation from now on.  And yes, I alrady have a taste for brewers' yeast; and liver (cooked any way and even in liver sausage) and the like so my diet gets some more tweaking.  If it works as well as I expect I will be delighted, and will (again) be astonishing the doc.  The last time I had a blood test, the doc did ask what I was doing....oh.....eating liver....beets....brewers yeast....lots of cruciferous vegetables.....and sprouts....why?  It seems my white blood cell count was nine times higher than they had expected, nearly normal.  "Keep doing what you are doing" she said.  OK, time to get healthy any way, garden season is approaching and I gotta get in shape to help put in our new raised beds  (and to plant my new perennials).  Now if I can just fine some PLAIN yogurt so I can start making my own again....:reading:

We dropped by the locally recommended garden center (privately owned one, not a big-box store) and got an estimate on dirt for the raised beds.  Nice guy, T-Bone, and knowledgeable.  I think he will be our go-to for locally hardy plants.  

All in all, a good, productive day!  :D

• Like 3

Wow Kappy.  That all sounds great.  So many folks do not assist their body to recover during/after the harsh medical treatments.  It's one of the biggest deficiencies that developed with Western medical process.  Ya half kill a person while aiming at the cancer..... and neglect to get them healthy again?  Dumkoff!  You're doing it right, friend.  :hug3:

I'm doing Chinese herbal formulas....time-tested for eons. I have abnormalities but no cancer/pre-cancerous cells.  That means we have the TIME to go the herbal route.  :happy0203:  Often cancer goes too fast for herbal but you can certainly still suport the body in all ways.  I have drastically reduced my sugar intake  :yar:  and that required filling in with other foods.  [meaning the sugar stuff had been taking the place of better choices]  :busted:    Ah well, sometimes life gets way ahead of ya  :shrug: 

We had a wonderful day yesterday.  Actually some fairly awful stresses BUT the outcomes were quite good.  Whew!  And coming home by mailbox......FINALLY the Medical Insurance folks sent a check for a HUGE portion of the medical bills DH incurred with the Pulmonary Embolism - July thru Oct.  The overnite ER visit  can now be paid in full and hospital will be very glad to receive that.  Also more of the doctors will now be paid off.  And some of it is actually for us, cuz we already paid monthly for rental of the O2 machines and the smaller bills.  That means we can pay off my stuff that wasn't covered by Medicare.:amen::amen:

A SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER portion is now NOT covered by Medicare, btw...so be warned, anyone who is just beginning to deal with Medicare.   

MtRider  ....but I'm :0327:  from running to and fro yesterday....gonna be resting today...tomorrow.....  :rolleyes:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

Thankful for good outcomes for Kappy and Mt. Rider!  I remember the book "Cancer doesn't scare me anymore" by Adele Davis.  Great book!

Happy for your financial help, Mt Rider!

Well, Big Molly got knocked out and her teeth cleaned this morning.  She is home and recovering!  DH's breathing problems are bronchitis.  I'm glad it is not more serious!  Applied for life insurance and they will draw blood from DH tomorrow.  We did hit some thrift stores and got some eBay stuff.  Now home and tired!

How is your home buying experience going, Ambergris?

And Jeepers, I've had a kindle fire for about 4 years.  I love it and no problems!

Edited by snapshotmiki
another thought
  • Like 1

I remember Adelle Davis from the 70's too. She was very popular!

I'm enjoying my Kindle Fire a little too much. I stayed up half of the night watching documentaries from Prime. There are some really good ones. Only thing is many of them are in a different language but with subtitles. I really like foreign shows but I have to pay attention and read along so I can't multi-task. One of them was about the children's point of view on Fukushima. They actually went through the quake and tidal wave at their schools.  Now they are displaced. They showed one of the towns and the damage is shocking. It showed how they are dealing with the radiation from the nuclear plant. It was sad but those kids were so brave and so darn cute.

I just got a summary of the money that was paid out after my acupuncture adventure. I about had a stroke. The ambulance ride alone was over $800.00. It is only 5.0 miles. I Googled it. The E.R. doctor charged over $1,200.00. The physical therapy I had was over $3,000.00. I had no idea it was that much. That was a summary from my supplemental insurance. I don't know what Medicare picked up. I'm just praying I don't get a big surprise bill.

It turned cold and it snowed all night. We got about 4 inches of lake effect snow. I plan to stay in but my mail box is leaning nearly to the ground again. Suppose I'll have to go out and jerk it around and hope it stays upright. I'll put some boots on and stomp around it. %^&*# snow plow drivers. If they would just slow down.

• Like 1

I'm getting the idea for my wish list....with all of you endorsing the Kindle Fire.  Does it have enough memory for several thousand eBook?  :whistling: 

Yessss, on how verrrry $$$$ medical care is now.  $12, 000 for ER overnite [yes, the comma is in the right place].  $1,000+ for an overnight doctor.  It's getting completely outrageous!!! 

MtRider ..... I am soooo  :0327:  after everything yesterday.  Resting!  :offtobed: 

• Like 1

I don't load all of my ebooks on the Fire or the Paperwhite, because it seems to bog them down.

There are currently 5,254 items in my library.  Only 312 have been loaded on my Paperwhite.  I mainly keep the cookbooks on the Fire (so it probably has more).

8 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I'm getting the idea for my wish list....with all of you endorsing the Kindle Fire.  Does it have enough memory for several thousand eBook?  :whistling: 

Yessss, on how verrrry $$$$ medical care is now.  $12, 000 for ER overnite [yes, the comma is in the right place].  $1,000+ for an overnight doctor.  It's getting completely outrageous!!! 

MtRider ..... I am soooo  :0327:  after everything yesterday.  Resting!  :offtobed: 

I do not have Prime and I believe I can load 1,000 books on my kindle fire for free.  Seems like after that I have to pay but I don't recall the details.

Staying home today and making the cheesecake I intended to make several days ago, washing sheets and listing eBay.

46 minutes ago, snapshotmiki said:

I do not have Prime and I believe I can load 1,000 books on my kindle fire for free.  Seems like after that I have to pay but I don't recall the details.

Staying home today and making the cheesecake I intended to make several days ago, washing sheets and listing eBay.

There's nothing that says you have to pay to load more more books on your Kindle Fire (or at least I can't find anything on that).  If I want to download my entire library, the only limitation is space (which is why I have a 128GB microSD card in there) and processing power (it just "thinks" slower, but I think it's because it's trying to keep up with 5k titles period!).

Edited by TheCG
  • Like 1

Today is my birthday, so we are having dinner with our 2 best friends in Georgia.  We camped on their land last winter while we looked around, and they were our proxy's for land purchasing, etc.  We joke about B being our 'paralegal'.  It turned out she was trained as one, just decided she didn't want to do it for a living!  What a resource.  D is retired leo, and gave me a coffee cup that was the talk of the chemo nurses....it read "cancer messed with the wrong B!tch" and everyone loved it.  So we will celebrate quietly.  I am still having some occasional nausea  issues, so I will ask my internist about it when I go see her in early Feb.  Meanwhile, I keep up with the vitamins and "superfoods" as they call them now-days. Mary brought me one of my favorites for a birthday present....LIVERRRRRRRR!   (onions, or bacon?  Broiled or braised?  Tomato sauce or liver gravy?  oh the possibilities, LOL  :feedme: )

B also got me a birthday present - a metal detector!  Now our redneck archeology department has a new tool to search for ye old (and so far undiscovered) septic system on our adjoining lot.   We also marked out our garden area of choice....two 36 x 3 beds for starters.  Mary likes the garden plans we make out on graph paper, so I'll get sketching tonight.  Reminder to self:  after the 1st order those huge trumpet lily bulbs and strawberry tower/bed that Mary & I like so well for the garden....Strawberries are one of our "must haves" no matter where we go.  

The trumpet lilies grow 6 feet tall with 8 inch wide lilies - they are always the talk of the neighborhood when they bloom - and we love lilies of all kinds.  Maybe some datura  too - they are gorgeous and I think hardy in zone 8 where we are now....they also are LARGE plants.  Go big or go home :cheer:

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3