MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Hokey Smokes, Bullwinkle!  (any other people remember that line?)  Today M was checking the account balance before we went to Wal Mart, and (all together now) Hokey Smokes!.....our Federal tax return has already arrived (and for us it was sizeable).  Lots of happy dancing (the dogs thought we were nuts).  That sure helps with the Jan-Feb budget doldrums!

Picked up my cast iron fry pan set & griddle at Wal Mart, and had to put up with M's disapproval.  She does not understand why I need cast iron to cook on.  She says ye old nonstick aluminum pans always worked  for her.  Oh well.....I refrained from reminding her our agreement that she picks out the dining dishes and I pick out the cookware.  But I need that cast iron.   The stainless sticks at any temp higher than 'medium' and cant be used in the oven over 350 degrees, and I don't like nonstick - the 'stuff' gives off nasty fumes at high temperatures, and comes off in the food when it flakes off. I also need a cast iron skillet to bake things in (like cornbread). I think she will understand the first time I grill a steak on that cast iron ridged griddle - I don't think cooking steaks on a medium setting really does them justice, taste wise.  I can handle the heft - its a trade off for the utility of iron.  

I think we will get our water tested from the 'crick' so at least I will know what kind of treatment it would take to make it potable in a pinch.  Probably a Berkey and boiling I'm thinking.  I'm also monitoring depths from month to month....it might dry up during the doldrums of summer, and I'd rather know that, too, just in case!  As for sunchokes for erosion control - that would be wonderful, they are very tasty.  I've heard elderberries like it moist too.  Got a lot of research to do.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1

Yes Rocket J. I remember that line!

Here is the post I put in the wrong forum.  :blush:

Rain. sleet. snow, freezing rain and fog at my house today. I didn't know it was bad out until I went out there. I was wondering why I kept skidding and fishtailing at every corner. I turned on the radio and heard we are in a winter storm warning. I didn't really need to go out and I wouldn't have if I'd have known. Sheeesh. Glad I'm a good winter driver but it's the other guys I worry about. I took advantage of already being out and got a couple of Subways for tonight and tomorrow and went to the grocery store.

Yesterday I got 5 grocery bags filled with books to donate. I'll probably end up with another two by tomorrow. I think I'll take them to the Salvation Army instead of the book donate bin so I can start getting tax write-offs for 2018.

Something I discovered is that reading a paperback is not as enjoyable as it used to be. I had a hard time with the yellowish paper and small print. Especially the small print. My eyes just aren't what they used to be...along with everything else. Or maybe I'm just spoiled with Kindle where I can adjust the print size. I know I'll keep my cooking, instruction, prep, canning and homesteading paper books but some of the other books might as well go.

I hate paying a bill that isn't monthly. I just got my Medicare bill that I have to pay quarterly. I always forget about it. That $400.00 bill didn't really need to come the same time as my high gas bill and elevated cable bill.  Sigh. Come on March!  Only115 days  27 minutes 8 seconds until my birthday and Social Security. Guess who has a counter on her computer?  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yesterday was spent cutting trees for firewood for next winter.  We need to cut in the cold/cool weather, as once it warms up, it'll be miserable--ticks, mosquitos, fire ants...humidity and poison ivy!  This large tree was felled in an ice storm a couple years ago, but was still usable.  Lovely old growth oak!  In excess of 20" diameter.

20180209_133711.jpg

Edited by Vic303
  • Like 6
40 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Something I discovered is that reading a paperback is not as enjoyable as it used to be. I had a hard time with the yellowish paper and small print. Especially the small print. My eyes just aren't what they used to be...along with everything else. Or maybe I'm just spoiled with Kindle where I can adjust the print size.

Yeah Jeepers.  WHO KNEW that paperback books shrink in print size if they are left unattended on the book shelf too long.  :gaah:  :tapfoot: 

I've been known to wear TWO sets of reader glasses at the same time.....just to combat this Print Shrinkage Problem.  :reading: 

:sigh: 

New reader glasses are On The List....  :shopping:    Need a serious Walmart run now that we FINALLLLLLLY   located the gift cards that were hiding......  :whistling: 

We had....are having....may still have ....SNOW today.  But....but...but we planned to get hay today.  Well yeah, we DID go get hay today.  And it wasn't pretty.  :grinning-smiley-044:   The most of it came down DURING this project.  DH drove the OLD van and OLD horse trailer and I followed with the car cuz ....the van doesn't have all it's parts.   Like electrical hookup so brake/turn signals on trailer will work.  Or windshield wipers....  Or heat/defrosters.  Also doesn't have a working alternator.  So ya gotta plug it in to charge the battery rather often.  Like having an inefficient electric vehicle.  But it's strong to pull the loaded horse trailer!

Unloaded in the snow too.....while charging the van battery so when we got the hay out of trailer, the van would start again.......to back the trailer out of the way.   Then I had to put all the STUFF that lives in there, back in there.  [Need a real barn!!]  While DH repositioned van and plugged it in again. 

Thankful it wasn't very cold....just very WET!  And hey.....we always use plastic sleds to haul bale-by-bale from trailer over to the hay shed.  [....ahem, hay shed SHOULD  have been build RIGHT NEXT TO THE DRIVEWAY, of course!!!]  :yar:      But tho we use sleds year 'round for this.....it does work LOTS better when there is actually SNOW covering the ground.  :rolleyes: 

Hair got soaked too but I HAD to wash is today anyway so.... 

Now I'm exhausted and still need to DRY hair or it's .....a wild-N-frizzy mess.  Definitely not the point of washing it.  :cheeky-smiley-067:

.....with the last teaspoon of energy I have left...I will say a WET snow it great for needed moisture.  But slipping and falling down FIVE TIMES during this episode leaves me less that grateful at the moment.  Tomorrow.  Tomorrow I'll say it's great for the moisture.  :faint3:  Yep, literally FIVE TIMES...  :0327:   Wearing the wrong boots, y'see. 

MtRider  :offtobed:   

• Sad 1

Went Amish shopping Thursday and they had 5# bags of hard candy for $1.99 a bag.  We stocked up on the peppermint, cinnamon and butterscotch and vacuum sealed them into small portions today.  We'll put the bags into a bucket and seal them up good.  We'll enjoy them whenever we want by just pulling out a bag.  The weather has been "iffy" today.  Got a little bit of icey stuff but not much...just enough for us to take a vote on it and stay home! LOL  They're still calling for snow though.  Nice to be retired and not have to even get out at all.  There's hardly any traffic going by on the streets...that's smart!  

101_0730.JPG

101_0731.JPG

101_0732.JPG

• Like 2

I like the flavor choices.  Been a while since I've had a butterscotch.  :yum3:  But I use peppermint all the time for sinus or digestion.  [and trouble with sinus often leads to trouble with digestion]  I hit the after-Christmas stuff for peppermint candy....canes, or whatever.  I check for real peppermint oil tho. 

The other hard candy I keep stocked is lemon drops.  For taste but also sore throat .  In hot/humid areas, I discovered that hard candies melt.  .....I didn't clean my school bus in Hawii after taking kids home with candy before Christmas break.  Two wks later....oye!  Should have swept it out.  Kiddos dropped too many "hard" candies and they were melted/gummy on bus floor.  A real shock when I'd never seen that before. 

MtRider  ....seems to keep forever in arid CO. 

Nice tree up there Vic303! They say fire wood warms you twice. Once when you cut it and once when you burn it.  :campfire:

Yeah, that print sure did shrink Mt.Rider. Kinda like my clothes from year to year. :D

I sucked on lemon drops while I was pregnant. My mom did too when she was going through chemo. Your candy looks yummy We2! I got some peppermint disks sealed and stored away for tummy troubles. I seem to be obsessed with nausea. I have lemon drops, mints, teas, OTC meds, Rx meds, ginger cookies and prego candy stored away. :scratchhead:

Speaking of candy, this week after Valentines Day, there should be some candy sales starting Thursday.

Today we were cleaning....again.  Our friend & neighbor, B, drops in to cheer us on & help out.  We are a real interesting work crew...we all have assorted orthopedic issues, bad backs, and don't get me started on medications...we three could probably stock a pharmacy all by ourselves.  B decided that we had to take all the sticky plastic up that we had put down to protect our beige rugs from the red GA clay that everyone tracks in, and replace it with fresh sticky plastic.  Imagine 3 foot wide scotch tape and you get the picture.  First we had to un-stick the old stuff, and replace it with new stuff.  With the dogs and cats dancing around trying to figure out what new game we were playing, and the parrot yelling wise cracks it was the usual organized chaos.  I suspect B comes over to help us set up our new house in order to take her mind off her DHs upcoming vascular surgery.  He had a mini-stroke last week, scaring all of us to death, so the docs say surgery is needed to lessen the odds (and scope) of another one.  B cleans when she gets nervous, so our house is the recipient of her pent up energy.  She knows we are there to do anything she needs as well, from dropping off dinner to minding the dogs when she had to take DH to the doctors.  Dear friends like her and her DH are rare for us, so we treasure them every way we can.

I re-organized the pantry after she left, so we can find things more easily.  The plan is to put our mid term preps in the walk in closet in the spare room (on shelves) keeping the pantry for a 30 day supply of our day to day items.  Long term preps go in an outbuilding with the big freezer.  It can be fitted with our small AC unit during the warmer parts of the year.  That's the current plan, anyway.  

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Vic303 said:

Yesterday was spent cutting trees for firewood for next winter.  We need to cut in the cold/cool weather, as once it warms up, it'll be miserable--ticks, mosquitos, fire ants...humidity and poison ivy!  This large tree was felled in an ice storm a couple years ago, but was still usable.  Lovely old growth oak!  In excess of 20" diameter.

You have the shoulders to prove that you're a hard worker in the woods.  :happy0203:  Even though we live up North, (no fireants) we are covered with ticks in the early spring. We try to cut before mud season, and after the ground is frozen. It makes for more enjoyable time in the woods. That's a GREAT tree you have there.  :woohoo:

That’s a big tree. My first thought was, it would make a great cutting board. Lol

Busy week. We helped our landscaping friend clean up the back of the neighbors house. The one that passed 12/31. The first trailer load was metal, the second was to the dump, (including tumble weeds 5 foot tall),  the third was all wood/boards and he probably has 2 more loads for the dump.  Some of the loads, could have been recycled, repurposed or donated, but our little town doesn’t have anything like that. Plus, time is a factor. Pots, pans, dishes, small appliances, furniture, even food. I did take some of the canned goods and a milk glass mixing bowl. 

It has given me a different perspective on things.  What’s junk?  Looking at everything we have in our house & yard, and I think how much someone else would just trash it.  Cleaning clutter comes to mind...lol..  

Sounds like everyone has has had a productive week. 

:thumbs:

• Like 1
On 2/10/2018 at 6:45 PM, Vic303 said:

20180209_133711.jpg

Noticed you have an interest in Rodesian's.  We've thought about getting another dog when we move to the homestead, one that will get along with our Abby-girl and be ok to remain an outside dog.  Your thoughts?

• Like 1

Stayed inside again today, roads are still sheets of ice in many places and we don't need to get out.  All 3 of us have a bit of cabin fever though, Abby-girl tried to entice hubby to chase her outside in her yard, but he knew better :-)  Both of us did some Yoga stuff in the front room to stretch the muscles a little.  When we were Amish shopping they had 5# of par-cooked shredded potatoes for $4.99 a bag so we stocked up.  Put all but one in the big freezer at the homestead and brought one home.  Vacuum sealed all of it into 4  bags.  Hubby loves it when I make "eggs in a blanket" type of thing with shredded potatoes.  I press out two handfuls, brown one side and flip.  Then I whip of 3 eggs and pour half into each potato shred and flip again when the last side is brown.  Then flip one more time and sprinkle cheese on top.  These shreds also make wonderful potato soup :-)

Off to see my folks today.  Adjust my dad's shoulder....it's improving.  He thot it never would!  My folks have gotten into puzzles and were completely stuck on a large one with a lot of sky.  Well, my mom and I finally got that one figured out.  This is one with no straight borders.  But we figured out the edge pieces have realllly strange shapes....so then we knew how to find the border.  Anyway, we finished that one and went to another one.....and finished that too.  LOL  They'll have to either get more puzzles or start over.

Ordered pizza and watched Olympic skaters...wow.  Then went home to feed ducks/horses/walk dog at ZERO degrees.  :frozen:  Totally clear sky - felt like outer space!  Brrrr!  Last nite was MINUS 17......but we're warming back up.  Got 3" of snow yesterday and I shoved it off of half my Circus Tent.   Am I EVER going to get that stuff back into the garage????

MtRider  ....this kind of day wears me out  .....pathetic, isn't it?  :yar:  :offtobed: 

Mt. Rider, I'm worn out just from my Walmart trip!  It was a big stock up trip so lots to put away once home.  It used to be easier!

My big older dog, Molly, is getting finicky or just won't eat, in her older age.  At this point, I am making noodles cooked in chicken broth with cut up chicken in it.  She has lost about 10 pounds in the past year or less.  She is eating now and I hope she will continue to.

I have to set up my vities for the next month and make noodles for the dog.  Hopefully, not much more.  Very cold today (for here)  About 40 degrees at 2:30 PM.  The goats are running around like they are crazy outside!

Off to Lowe''s again, this time for a dump card (10 cu ft) that Mary can pull behind the lawn tractor.  It was $99.00.  Picked up a copy of GRIT magazine, the first one I've ever read.  They accept submissions from first time writers, so I thought I'd check out their writing style and subject matter, and maybe I can write something for them.  It wouild be fun to get paid again for writing, now that I have a little time to do it in.

Our income tax return is going fast.  Most is slated for improvements - topsoil & sod for the front lawn (all 30 feet of it) and more topsoil and seeds lfor the back, where the red clay was all exposed when they graded to put the home in.  We are splurging on a hot tub though...we figured our old bones would appreciate it more than a cold pool.  We can always go sit in the river, LOL.  God forbid Jack should ever find that creek, he'd never come out of it, he is such a water lover.

B was by today, we did some straightening, and collected all the 'stuff' we will need tomorrow when we go get our new driver's licenses, concealed carry permits and auto licenses.  Now all we have to do is pick up some cash so we can pay all the fees.  Just before leaving WI I made sure I had a birth certificate, since more and more states are requiring one for a driver's license.  I heard that M could get a 50% discount on her DL if she takes a DD214 (military discharge) along to prove she is a vet.  While we are at it we may as well go pick up our reduced price sportsman licenses for small game and fishing - once we get our new DL we will be eligible for the disability price break on those, too.  

The savings are nice, but the paperwork is a PITA and I don't mean the sandwich bread, LOL.  

• Like 2

Yup, Kappydell, income tax refunds disappear quickly. 

During cleaning another ton of stuff to go to the dump, we found an old brass 1908 E & J carriage light, used on the Model T Ford. It’s missing the kerosene wick holder, but still, it’s neat. 

3AC8B04B-F00D-4142-AB71-83A8E1E2BAEE.jpeg

F80E7A94-C1D4-4F22-9594-4C60C7116F2C.jpeg

• Like 3

Beautiful!  I came to appreciate old cars when I did salvage vehicle inspections on rebuilt and restored cars.  Saw some beauties!

Today we went to try to get our GA driver's licenses, car plates, and CCW permits.  What a waste of time.  It started out good, we gathered up copies of our birth certificates, social security award letters, and bills showing our change of address.  We were ready.  Or so we thought.  First Mary got in line, we filled out some forms, and she was turned away.  She had a Xerox of her certified birth certificate, and that was a no-go, even if all the names, dob, and our Wisconsin photo ID Driver's licenses matched.  Well!  Humph!.  Then it was my turn.  I had gotten a certified copy of my DL before leaving Wisconsin, just because I could not find my old one.  OK, I thought I had it made in the shade.  Nope.  First the clerk asked if I was married.  At first I wondered if she was asking if M and I were married, so I said no, we aren't married.  Then she repeated, asking if I used to be married.  Well, yes, I am a widow.  Well,  I did not get my new driver's license either, because I did not have a certified copy of my marriage license!  So then I asked if I needed to bring in my husbands death certificate too, because who knows, I might need to show it too.  Nope. Ok. that was so weird it was funny, at least to me.  Didn't know I needed to be married to drive, LOL.  But OK, I guess they can ask for that if they want to.

Then we went to the licensing bureau for cars  Nope, we needed to have driver's licenses from Georgia to register our cars in Georgia.  ;(sigh).  Then we went to the probate office, where they give out CCW permits.  Simply proving we had moved was not sufficient to swap our Wisconsin permits for Georgia ones.  We needed a Georgia driver's license.  (More giggles, this was getting ridiculously complicated!)

Then we went to social security.  Mary had received notification she would be paying for medicare parts A & D, which costs would leave her with about $5 in social security after her part of the mortgage and a car payment were paid.  Finally!  She showed her Federal VA Identification card, and explained she had full coverage under the VA for medical issues.  The Social Security person told her she could opt out of paying for medicare!  That was the last place we expected to have success...in fact, B & I were discussing whether we would need to bail M out of jail after she lost her temper after yet another bureaucratic failure.   :hapydancsmil:

I used to work in a bureaucracy, but it's gotten sooooo much worse in the last few years, to the point of ridiculousness. We "old farts" do not like jumping through hoops - it's unwieldy.         Of course, having made a long distance move recently does not help. 

We made the best of it though, cracking jokes about running away to become illegal immigrants (and making up flamboyantly peculiar names for ourselves; and deciding to make up our own language to make things even more incomprehensible to the bureaucrats) since it seems to be all the rage to give freebees to illegal aliens.  We decided it was not worth the move to California though, to take advantage of their sanctuary cities' benefits.  Nope, not worth moving again.  :sassing:

So we will try again, after our just ordered (and quite expensive) certified copies of M's birth certificate and my marriage certificate arrive.  

Edited by kappydell

:sassing:  INDEED, Kappy!  Ya gotta just dread going in those Official Office Places.....  They ALWAYS want more/better than you have with you. 

For years.....since the first wildfire that started just up the creek from our crispy log cabin.....I looked for our marriage cert.  OR tried to figure out how to get a certified copy.  Just*In*Case.  Yanno?  Cuz due to that close call with wildfire, I scrambled around getting all my I.D. and other paperwork all together in a satchel.  No more using the file cabinet.  Those papers have to be At-The-Ready!  :campfire:   .....in case....

Never did get around to HOW I'd get another copy.  It was the ONE bit of legal certification I'd never found.  :scratchhead:

But one day while looking thru our wedding album......a few pieces of paper slid out from behind photos.....    several certified copies of the marriage license...  :woohoo:  

Later I bought two small WATERPROOF bags that can be hung around one's neck [to make sure where they are as we're running out the door in EVAC].  I made up one for DH and one for me.  We each have certified copies of our own stuff and regular photocopies [unless we have more than one certified copy] of the other's I.D. stuff. 

--Also have the certified copy of title/registration/Ins.Company data for the vehicles we drive .....as in:  the car in DH's bag and the old truck in mine, etc.  But again, the other person has a photocopy ...just for data purposes. 

--Copies of our current rental agreement  [you might need that to get back into our area after EVAC situation....tho drivers license should be enough.]

--We have pictures of both of us in both bags......in case we'd get separated.  Also pics of the kids/Grkids. 

--In a separate ANIMAL vinyl bag, we have pics of all current animals, vet records, proof of purchase-"CO Brand Inspection"  [which is what they call an official "title" to horses...and has nothing to do with actual 'branding' in these modern times].

--Secondary paperwork that might be needed is in a larger satchel. 

All of this IDENTIFICATION PAPERWORK is kept locked and yet, at the ready to run out the door if needed.  I needed some of it recently....and it was all there.  For which....by this time a decade or more later.... I was very grateful.  My brain simply doesn't remember things anymore.  Very glad I pulled it all together back when I had a half a brain still functioning.  :wacko:

MtRider  .....never will figure out why my Much Younger Self decided to shove the marriage certs into the wedding album.  Sheeesh!  :buttercup: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2