MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Happy Birthday, Kappy!!  :balloons:

I don't post often, but read the posts and keep you all in my prayers.

DD keeps me busy.  She's 4 now.  Where did that time go?  :wub:    Right now, we're I'm reading the Little House series to her.  She's enjoying it very much.  It's the books I slowly bought when I was 8-10 years old.  I'm so glad to be sharing that with her.  We've been looking through the seed catalogs and discussing what to plant when we move.  We are hoping and praying to move this year.  

We've been having a "stuff breaking" month.  I'm hoping it's not one of those years.  Those type of years tend to be expensive.   A pellet stove blower fan, alarm clock, DVD player and my dryer.   The same day that DH got the pellet stove running, the dryer quit.  Why, when that happens, is it always with a load of towels?   Not at all as bad as the 4-5 months we were washerless last year (With my chemical sensitivities I can't use anyone else's washer or the laundrymat; we had to handwash).   I'm happy the dryer is running again.  Thankfully I have drying racks and clothespins.  Oh,  I found some awesome clothespins.  They're made in the USA and very heavy duty.  Two of them hold up DH's heavy wet jeans or a bathroom rug.  Worth every penny.  I haven't broke one yet, but they are guaranteed.  I got the unoiled ones.  http://secure.ladyandthecarpenter.com/shop/Clothespins/

• Like 1

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MS. KAPPYDELL   :bouquet:

OOTR...I've had times when every expensive thing seems to break all at once too. Not fun $$$$$$

I have 2,337 books on my Kindle Touch. And I delete a lot of them after I read them. Some of them like the classics are a set with multiple books but they only show up as one book. I'd say 99% of them were free. I really like the Touch. It's old and I just use it for a reader. I have a Paper White and I like it except not as well as the Touch. I can't figure how to view it without seeing all of the books I have. It's either just the documents or everything including what I have stored in the documents. I like to store books in documents and the books I want to read now I like to store underneath the documents to see them easier. I don't know if that is not available or I'm just not getting it. Not fun for an OCD person who likes things lined up properly don't ya know. If it wasn't for that I'd really like the Paper White because it's backlit. 

I have Prime now but I think I had over 1,000 before I got it. Not sure though. I don't know how it works. Maybe buy more cloud space?

I'm loving the Fire tablet for internet viewing!  I don't think it would replace a laptop though. For one thing it doesn't have a USB port so I couldn't use it with a CD/DVD player. Some of the programs I have need a disk drive to install. And I'm not sure about using it for the scanner/printer either. I could probably get around it by emailing stuff to the tablet. I think my old eyes and fingers need a bigger keyboard than just the tablet for computer work.

I ordered a holder today. Sigh. It holds a devise on a pole so you can lie in bed or in a chair and watch it hands free. It looks like a freakin' IV pole. Wheels and all.  :cheeky-smiley-067:

71PdkeZtdJL__SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFRYA7U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3

Maybe I was thinking of something else with the thousand books.  It was 4 or so years ago, so no telling!

Well all missions accomplished today!  Sheets clean, cheesecake made and 4 items listed on eBay.  That's a good day!

Happy Birthday, Kappy!!!  Wished you Happy Birthday on another site also.  The old PS one. I hope it was a good day!

We are staying home today and doing some house cleaning

Edited by snapshotmiki

Long day...desktop pc crashed, so we went to homestead and brought the one I inherited from my mom.  Hooked it up and it took ab out 10 minutes to fry the power supply...it had been in storage 2 years...too long says Staples.  So, I took one of my inheritance checks (that came today!) and we bought a new laptop that will be in the "puter room"! LOL  So, I spent the entire afternoon setting things up and getting what we wanted on the desktop.  Very glad we had all of our shortcuts saved over on our jump drive :-)  Just plugged that puppy in and went to town! LOL  Hubby will be so happy now that he can download pdf files and print them out speadily!  So, my friends, I'm tuckered out for today.  Just wanted to try this new laptop out and make sure all the shortcut links worked :-)  Stay healthy!

• Like 3

Another Critter Tale:  Went down to feed tonite.  Put Koa on the post [meaning: slide handle of retractable lease onto a Tpost]  and was just getting old horse's food out of truck when 2-3 coyotes began really yelling up to the north.  Then immediately we had a very LOUD and very NEAR BY chorus of about 8 or more from right around the hillside to the south.  300-400' away.  Aiiee!  Both directions and we're in the middle.  Well of course Koa set off telling them a thing or two!  :wacko:   And with all the NOISE, I'm trying to think what to do quickly.....tho the USUALLY don't come in on humans...usually....

OK...I have ducks in their pen [usually safe from coyotes but not felines] ...goat running loose with us....Koa on the post and she could easily snap her retractable leash [not good]...and excited horses snorting and jumping... 

I put Koa back inside the truck so she didn't take off to go find them... also protect her ears.   Then fired X3 into the dirt.   SILENCE.  Hmph!  Brought Koa back out to be on alert.  Quickly fed ducks while keeping eye on the goat.  Now, horses had fled way across creek but Old One came running back when I brought her feed.  Goat's trying to eat the big alfalfa pellets that the other nusiance horse should be eating so I picked up that tray until he brought his snorting self over to have a bite or two.  Hmph. 

Finally took out hay and finished up as usual ....except waiting for old horse to finish....as usual.  Koa and I .....followed by an unwise goat, went walking in pasture over to where the coyotes had been coming down the hill.  Koa left her messages all over!  :thumbs:  The big reason we went that way.  I'm on alert with my personal defenses [more than one], in case any are still there.  Didn't think so but I told the goat she should have stayed back with her pal, the big horse.  She did hurry back with us when we'd finished all business out there. 

Koa was so pleased that she'd found coyote prints in the snow and pretended to be a bloodhound.  :grinning-smiley-044:   This breed has a good nose and can find a trail but not for following a trail that much.  She sure was lifting her nose in the air, almost lifting front feet off ground, trying to catch scent of them.  They have a good nose that way.  As long as she wasn't going off, I figured they must be long gone. 

So adrenaline got me thru another feeding nite.  I've been really wiped out by all the activities in town on Monday.  Just recovering.  Will have another big day in town on next Tues.  Whew!

MtRider  :twister3:

• Like 3

:hi:Everyone,

Sounds like you took care of those pesky yotes, MtR. We have noticed the packs of yotes coming into town a lot more than normal this year. 

A new computer, We2, nice.   That should last you for a while. I’m still learning how to use my Win10 desktop,  and iPad, with my phone and MacBook. So far, they are talking with each other without much difficulty. Not like years ago, when they were totally incompatible. 

Jeepers, that stand is interesting, especially for watching movies. 

We used to have a Foxworth Galbraith store here in town. My go to store for anything I needed to fix in our house. They always had an exact replacement. When they closed, many years ago, I was floored. The building stood vacant for some time, then a small nursery rented the building for a year or two. Yesterday, as I drove by, the building was gone, scraped down to the dirt. I have no idea what they are going to do with the block, but it looks like someone has a plan. Funny how such a simple thing can bring back memories. Especially since the bathroom light fixture seems to be needing to be replaced. The bulb burnt out and the replacement bulb flickers and flashes briefly when we turn it on. My only option left to me, is to go to True Value, here in town and see if they have something that will work. Otherwise it will be a 70 mile round trip to the closest Home Depot. 

House cleaning day. The “Dee-oh-Geez” (dogs) have been rolling in the dusty dirt this week and everything in the house is covered in a thick layer of dust. We have customers scheduled to come in later, so I need to get an early start. 

I hope everyone has a gorgeous day. 

Another bottle of my homemade roll on deodorant (not an antiperspirant). I buy my bottles Amish, use Tea tree oil (about 15 drops...kills bacteria that causes odor), lavender essential oil (about 30 drops...soothes skin) and I used my favorite Jasmine Essential oil as a 2nd scent (about 40 drops...because thats my favorite!). Then fill the bottle with organic liquid coconut oil (available at WM in the cooking oil section). Snap the roller back on and I'm set for several weeks. Give it a shake before each use.

Homemade roll on deodorant.jpg

• Like 3

Today was a nice day so Mr got some more work done on bathroom remodel.  Tomorrow they're calling for afternoon snow...up and down weather is playing having with people!  Used our Netti pots first thing this morning since we were out and about yesterday.  Couldn't believe the junk one  can accumulate in that area.  The solution doesn't go up into the main part of your sinus, but flushes from one nostril to the other (if done correctly).  Then blowing gently after east side is flushed, clears things out for sure! LOL  We "dribble" for awhile, but it's just draining the rest of the stuff...LOL  TMI?  We just know it sure makes us feel better. The main thing one needs to remember always, is keep your mouth open!   Breath through your mouth and don't turn your head so far to one side.  

Edited by The WE2's

Yesterday a winter storm blew in, dropped about 3 inches when it was through.  Lots of accidents as people didn't get off the roads :-(  Today was slick in some places, but snow routes were salted and navigateable.  Mr. worked on bathroom remodel and it was sleeting, freezing rain when he came home.  Glad he made it safely!  Tomorrow they're calling for another inch or two in the afternoon.  Staying home!  Glad we got all the running done (paid bills etc.) when we did.  My van still isn't done.  Maybe in another week or two?  I'll be so glad to have my wheels back!  Today I vacuum sealed 5 packages of bacon, each about a pound and then six packages of pancake/biscuit mix add water only.  Fixed up another box of stuff to take to the homestead.  We try to take a box of two of our stuff over when we can, to help cut down on stuff we'll have to move when the time comes.  Abby-girl is surely having cabin fever, but it's just too cold and slick for us to take her out for a walk, and I don't go to the homestead while Mr is working (she loves to run and romp in her big yard) there because there's no bathroom yet.  Winter is hard on everyone because exercise is much less.

• Like 1

got out to take pics of our back yard today.  going to print some up & send to father, he helped us get this place and all he asked in return was pics.  turned out he worked this area of Georgia as a youth.  Hiked down (M. found an old path I can navigate with my cane) that gets us most of the way down) to the 'crick' and took pics.  It turns out we have a small waterfall where it leaves the culvert under the road and the babbling brook sound effects are very nice.  Then it just runs across a part of our land.  Our guest joked that we have "waterfront property" in real-estate-speak.  Maybe, but I prefer not to make too much of it.  It's not navigable by canoe, but it does run, and it would be helpful as a water source in a pinch.  A good long term project will be to plant something to prevent erosion on the banks.  

Coyotes are also numerous down here, but they keep their distance since I cranked off a couple rounds in their general direction last month.  We hear the neighbors dogs going crazy barking at them though.  Everybody around here knows to keep the pets under personal control just in case after dark.  

IMG_3352.JPG

IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

• Like 3

I love your wooded area and creek, Kappy!  Beautiful!!!  

So far today;  labeled and put away 12 pints of Chicken Soup, made a Chocolate coconut cream poke cake and am playing here for awhile.  May write a couple of drafts for eBay and take it easy the rest of the day.  Very rainy here today and last night.  Started out at 64 this morning and dropping quickly.  Supposed to be in the 40's by noon.  Weird winter weather!

Trees!  (Can you tell I live in the desert?  Lol)

Monday, I took the time to put 8 lbs. of spices, we were given, into jars. 

Worked on blocking a portion of the yard the dogs have reduced to dirt/dust, and planted grass seeds.  They promptly revealed the error of my plan, and I had to adjust the fence several times. And do it again yesterday and this morning. I hope it will work now. I’d rather have grass, instead of dusty dogs bringing it in the house. 

Removed the dead queens wreath and mowed down the grass/weeds next to our fence in the alley. I do it every year. It looks clean. The queens wreath covers the whole fence by mid summer making a privacy fence with pretty pink flowers. 

Planted potatoes, cabbage and tomatillos. The tomato plants are growing well. They come outside during the day and inside at night, just in case it gets too cold at night. DH thinks it is still going to drop below freezing before spring. IDK. 

Today, I made a batch of bolllio bread and have been doing the laundry all morning. 

Time to get back at it. 

I hope everyone is having a great day. 

67961DED-8941-48E0-BC42-133C17C972EE.jpeg

• Like 1
17 hours ago, kappydell said:

got out to take pics of our back yard today.  going to print some up & send to father, he helped us get this place and all he asked in return was pics.  turned out he worked this area of Georgia as a youth.  Hiked down (M. found an old path I can navigate with my cane) that gets us most of the way down) to the 'crick' and took pics.  It turns out we have a small waterfall where it leaves the culvert under the road and the babbling brook sound effects are very nice.  Then it just runs across a part of our land.  Our guest joked that we have "waterfront property" in real-estate-speak.  Maybe, but I prefer not to make too much of it.  It's not navigable by canoe, but it does run, and it would be helpful as a water source in a pinch.  A good long term project will be to plant something to prevent erosion on the banks.  

Kappydell - It may be the part of the country you live in, but the crick looks pretty green. I'm not sure you can have the water tested, but maybe ask neighbors if this color is normal for cricks in your area. We live in sand country so the water coming into our pond is crystal clear (and cold).   :frozen:  We're going to have our pond tested this year to see if we can stock it with varieties that we like. Having water, firewood, and shelter ... we feel much prepared for the future.

Ann - Love those spices.  :hi:

• Like 1
19 hours ago, kappydell said:

Coyotes are also numerous down here, but they keep their distance since I cranked off a couple rounds in their general direction last month.  We hear the neighbors dogs going crazy barking at them though.  Everybody around here knows to keep the pets under personal control just in case after dark.  

IMG_3352.JPG

IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

Sweet!  Sunchokes might work to keep soil from erosion?

6 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Trees!  (Can you tell I live in the desert?  Lol)

Monday, I took the time to put 8 lbs. of spices, we were given, into jars. 

Worked on blocking a portion of the yard the dogs have reduced to dirt/dust, and planted grass seeds.  They promptly revealed the error of my plan, and I had to adjust the fence several times. And do it again yesterday and this morning. I hope it will work now. I’d rather have grass, instead of dusty dogs bringing it in the house. 

Removed the dead queens wreath and mowed down the grass/weeds next to our fence in the alley. I do it every year. It looks clean. The queens wreath covers the whole fence by mid summer making a privacy fence with pretty pink flowers. 

Planted potatoes, cabbage and tomatillos. The tomato plants are growing well. They come outside during the day and inside at night, just in case it gets too cold at night. DH thinks it is still going to drop below freezing before spring. IDK. 

Today, I made a batch of bolllio bread and have been doing the laundry all morning. 

Time to get back at it. 

I hope everyone is having a great day. 

67961DED-8941-48E0-BC42-133C17C972EE.jpeg

Looks a bit like my spice/herb stash!

Weather not quite as cold and no precip...but may have some move into the area in a few days or so.  While Mr worked on the bathroom remodel I got all the housework done, except washing towels and wash clothes...they'll be for tomorrow.  We will have to get to the Roost to pay the water bill though.  Want to get that done before bad weather comes back.  Checked on my Miss B (my van) and the mechanic has everything ready except he hasn't received the new torque converter (Mr wanted a heavy duty one built).  When that comes in he'll be putting things back together and hopefully I'll have my van before too much longer :-)  Made up 3 more batches of Moringa capsules.  They've seem to having an extremely positive impact of both of us.  Myself especially in the fatigue area! Since it's a food you can take as much as you feel you need.  I've also noticed I don't seem to get as cold...which I like!  Haven't had to turn on the Edenpur in the living room during the day.  Lots more positives...and I don't think it's my imagination.  Started taking it several months ago and saw such good that we bought the kit to make our own caps.  Saves dollars.

• Like 1

Was out and about yesterday with DH and my folks.  Got some business done as well as some for them too.  Since it involved being way over in the city, it's good to car pool.  Then we ate late lunch at a restaurant.  Lot of food but taste was rated "average".  Too bad cuz we get to eat out so very seldom.  But it was a good time and productive.  Cross things off the ToDo list....including paying off entire hospital bill in person.  The medical ins. check came in and" finally cleared our bank".    ....which I think really means:  the bank wants our $ to sit in their bank a week to collect intrest/whatever ...and THEN we can take it out to deliver it to whoever is supposed to be receiving it.  Hmph!

I fell asleep without meaning to last nite quite early.  DH noticed later I was out and shut off the light...tried to be quiet.  I woke a couple hrs later and didn't get back to sleep right away.  Finally did and slept til nearly noon today.  Whew!  There has been some pressure to get certain business things accomplished and it may be affecting my sleep.  Not that it's anything unusual for me to have trouble getting to sleep.  I've had that MS symptom since I was a child.  Hope it settles down tho.  Whacked out sleep patterns throw the whole day off.  :sigh:

I keep thinking we're in April ....due to this strange WARM weather and the whole pseudo-winter.  But being sooooo very dry is going to be a problem soon.  Some snow possible in the next week.  We got about an inch on Monday but it's mostly.......dehydrated.  Some melted.  :shrug:

Anyway, today ...despite a lot of sleep, I thot I was dying for a while this "morning".  SUPER FATIGUE and BRAIN FOG.  Got the shakes whenever I tried to walk or do anything.  Managed to get us breakfast at noon [that's normal ...before DH has to got to work]  and get him lunch to take.  Yesterday I was pushing hard to feed us and get ready to go.....and burned up the eggs.  I do NOT function well under even the least bit of pressure.  :grinning-smiley-044:   Zipped that smokin' fry pan outside and stuck it into the BBQ.  Whuuueeee.  Tried very hard not to repeat that performance today...succeeded.  Then :0327:  back to bed, reading.  Finally before dark I was feeling well enough to feed critters.  Walk dog in pasture....slowly.  Felt a lot better than when the day started.  Feel basically ok right now.

:unsure:  ....my ancient cat has been laying on the couch pillow all day.  Don't think she feels well.  :( 

MtRider .....jest tryin' to get thru each day....  :pray: