MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Awesome pictures Annarchy!

My son was born in Texas while we were in the military. In other words we were just sort of passing through. After going through all of the steps and paying money each time we needed a copy, because it kept getting lost in moves, I finally had it recorded at my hometown court house.

It's still officially recorded in Texas but also in Indiana. So if we ever need a copy again we can go there to get it. For some reason, that was the hardest thing to keep track of. I'm not sure how that works because after I did that it was never lost again. Hummm, maybe that's how it works.

• Thanks 1

We have finally warmed up some. Hope it lasts awhile. It's very foggy out there though. Hope that doesn't mean ice forming. That happens a lot when we get fog. Guess it will depend on the temperature later tonight.

I'm really enjoying the Kindle Fire 10. Sooo many free apps with Prime. Maybe without it too. Don't know. Last night I found a free app for emergency scanners. I got a signal for my hometown county, the county I'd like to move to and for my town here. It's pretty awesome. I also got an app for 99 cents that has tons and tons of Old Time Radio programs. My favorite thing. Between those and a couple hundred documentaries I have loaded, I'm pretty well set for my old age entertainment...as long as the electricity stays on.  :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rain... maybe...maybe not. 

Had to laugh.  I drove through several areas of sprinkles on my way to TX. After the  first set, I turned on the wipers, ACK!  I forgot to wash the blades when I did the windshield, causing mud streaks!  Not enough water to clean it off, so I decided to wait until the windshield had enough water on it, almost to the point of not being able to see, and tried again, with the same result. I used the washer knob, which seemed to help some. (Note to self: refill windshield washer fluid.) It was snowing on the mountains near Bowie, AZ. Got to Lordsburg, NM filled up and washed my washer blades which were still caked in mud. AZ dust on the car is speckled with mud rivers down the back and side windows.  Got to TX and showed MIL the weather radar and low & behold, the whole state of AZ was covered in green and yellow, however, our town was crystal clear. HA!  Typical. DH said it had barely sprinkled all day. 

The load of junk we loaded on Monday, weighed 2,500 lbs!  DH said they filled the trailer again today with most of the last of it. There is still a stripped car body and some misc. metal, which a metal recycler will pick up tomorrow. 

One other thing I “salvaged” out of a box of junk, were 3 odd shaped brass cups. I looked them up on line and found an exact picture of one of them. They are antique Chinese silk irons. The three I have don’t have the handles but this picture shows the design on the smallest one. I can only imagine how much other good stuff was trashed because we didn’t have time to go through all the boxes and garbage bags of stuff. 

:scratchhead:

MIL has a cold!  And she has the temp in the house over 80. She is going to stay home tomorrow from the CoC meeting, only because the plumber will be here at 9 am to replace her water heater, the thermocoupling is going out and the pilot light won’t stay on. She has had to call her neighbor to come over and light it several times this week. I’d fix it for her but she’s already scheduled the plumber who told her they don’t make the replacement part anymore. 

I have to pick up some ladies for the meeting. Hopefully I will get up early enough to run the car through a car wash. 

Great reminder, MtR, about keeping the important paperwork handy. 

Your Kindle fire sounds like fun Jeepers. I’m still learning how to use the iPad DH got me. Too many apps available...  especially when he will come in and show me something he got on his. 

Kappy, can’t you just use your current DL and tell them you want one for GA because you moved?

Anyway, time to get some sleep. 

7385C24D-5970-4A8D-8552-BC04C56E9C94.jpeg

7 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

That is an iron for silk fabric?  Wow....very cool!

From what I read on line, they would put coals in the bowl and then iron the silk with it.  Here’s a little on it:

http://www.oldandinteresting.com/antique-irons-smoothers-mangles.aspx

https://wrangleboro.wordpress.com/2012/02/21/antique-silk-iron-china-1900s-collectible-art-industrial-history-brass-enamel-cloisonne-nal/

TangFigure.jpg

How interesting!  I have the sad irons/flat irons.  Have seen fsad iron ones you can put coals into a closed hopper to keep the heat longer.  But they aren't this shape at all.  Must be tricky to keep the tempurature even, without scorching.  The blue lady in pic has her end rolled on a stick to keep it even. 

MtRider  :)

• Like 1

What happened to my original wedding certificate?  it was typed on NCR paper, all the rage at the time, and the typing faded so completely that it looked BLANK  the last time I looked at it!  So I should have known better, probably, and got another copy when I discovered it.  I just never expected to need it for a driver's license!  (I'm told the GA State Troopers are worse yet...)

Annarchy, the clerk had my photo DL from Wisconsin in her hand, but did not accept it.  I guess it was not good enough.  After all this, I think I will go get a passport - it will be easier!  And as long as I have everything replaced already, why not?

Edited by kappydell

Hi. :hi:

Got up and motivated in time to run the car through the wash. It was shiny. By the time I got back to MIL’s house the plumber was here. He was under the impression that the new water heater was waiting for him and all he had to do was install it.

He was on the phone with someone when I had to leave to pickup the ladies for the Chamber of Commerce meeting. 

V directed me through city traffic, only to discover several “Road Closed” “Detour” signs. The city is installing “Round-a-bouts” (worthless expenditures IMHO). Got to the home that was sponsoring our meeting about on time.  There was supposed to be a driver to take us to the home, from parking, but he wasn’t there. Three ladies thought I was going to do it. Lol, so I took a car load up, just as he arrived. We all had a good laugh. 

We had 3 new ladies join.  A retired doctor, a college professor and a retired military wife. I enjoy seeing younger new members, they always seem to bring vibrant new perspectives for the city and to all the projects the Woman’s department does. 

This year, we are giving a scholarship to the college and distributing books to the schools, that the kids can keep as their own, among a lot of other things. 

By the time I got back home, moms neighbor, his brother and the plumber were here. The ‘brother’ has a plumbing business and had delivered the new heater. They stayed until the job was done. The plumber had to go get extra parts. We talked, and the ‘brother’ needed information from our business too.  Hopefully we can help him out as much as he helped mom.  They definitely gave her a break on the cost of replacing her water heater. Less than $800.  

As they were leaving, the rain started. Dinner was a What-a-burger, cause mom’s cold is still running it’s course. 

I plugged in my phone to her TV and we watched an animated movie to end the day. 

Tomorrow, is yard work and a couple of other things she has on my ToDo list. 

I hope everyone had a fantastic day. 

Today I am trying to catch up on laundry.      With all that has been going on here I haven't done it for a while. 

I am also going to try to get some much needed rest.     :)          In other words, I plan to take a nap this afternoon.   :)    

Since the first of the year the kitchen, living/dining rooms and hall have been painted and stuff is still setting all over the place.       I don't know if we will be putting the pictures back on the walls or not.        

Have a good day everyone.   :)   

• Like 1

Sounds like a long day for you, Annarchy!  

I have been taking it easy and trying to get recovered from whatever I had.  Cough, sinus drainage and exhaustion.  No fever or sore throat.  

Listing some eBay and that is about it.  Made beans in the crockpot yesterday and making garlic butter for garlic cheese bread today.  Keeping a low profile!

• Like 1

It's getting colder (than yesterday) again and snow flurrying. Supposed to be in the teens tonight.

I went to the grocery store and loaded up on snacks and such for the weekend. Ms. Reese the Great Dane is due any day now. She is huge...er. If you are so inclined, some healthy puppy prayers will be appreciated. We usually 'lose' a couple which is so heartbreaking to watch. Sigh. But the ones who do make it are such a blessing and worth the tears.

Hopefully we will have some more wonderful service dogs soon.  :wub:

Forgot to add, Carlene (owner) went in to the hospital today with a leg infection. Is on IV antibiotics. She is orchestrating via online from the hospital bed. They have plenty of volunteers staying and numerous ones on call so they will be okay. She can't be a happy camper though. :pc_coffee:

Edited by Jeepers
Added info
  • Like 1

So, the saga continues...

I got up early planning to do yard work...” best laid plans.. “. It was raining.  With Mom’s cold, I didn’t want to take the chance that working in the rain and cold would cause me to catch her cold. So, I read some books on my tablet until she got up...around 10 am. She was slow go all morning and around 1, when she said she wanted me to take her to Walgreens to fill the antibiotic prescription the doc had given her. OMG!!??!! Really?!!!!  She waited?!  I had noticed her cough was sounding really rough this morning around 4-5am. Geez.  God willing I won’t catch what she has. Bad enough I am barely getting over the crud I got at Christmas. 

Then, she told me to go home tomorrow so I won’t get it.  I’ll go home, as long as she is showing signs that the antibiotic is beginning to work. *SIGH*

The rain let up in the afternoon and I managed to finish the ToDo list and made her beef soup for dinner, and we watched another animated move using my tablet. The  rain kicked in again. Hopefully it will let up for my drive back home. 

Time to get some sleep...

There is so much illness this season....  :fever: 

:pray: for Carlene and the puppy birth.....and for Anarchy's MIL   :unsure:

Make sure everyone takes the whole 'script of antibiotics!!!!  Partial isn't good for anyone.

I've been nursing a sick cat for over a week.  Thot she was dying...17 and half years old and never been sick before - ever.  Just tired to make her comfortable.  THEN...she began to eat... tiny bits frequently.  DH found Fancy Feast "BROTHS" for cats.  Foil packets....excellent for sick cat.  We fed her thru the night...every 2 hrs.  Now she's up to getting 2 teaspoons at a time.  She began eliminating too.....worried over that.  Sooooo?  I guess maybe she's going to pull thru????  I'd sure miss her!  :wub: She dropped weight and she didn't have much in the first place.  Now not quite so skeletal as a few days ago.    

MtRider  :pray:

• Like 2

Prayers for Annarchy's MIL and that Annarchy doesn't catch it!!!

Carlene is still in the hospital and the puppies are still in Reese. Hope they aren't waiting for each other to show up. Hope I don't run through all of my snacks before it happens.   :D

It's 30 degrees and snowing here but it feels so much colder. Think I'll start a fire in the fireplace to take the chill off.

well, we got out yesterday and picked up the hot tub we rewarded ourselves with from our income tax return.  It was not so hard to set up, either.  Now we are waiting for the water to warm up.  We set it up in the car port, figuring it will keep the UV light from affecting the plastic hot tub, since they seem to have a predilection for breaking after 2 years' sun exposure.  We shall see; but it was inexpensive enough that if it does not work we won't be too put off.  

Today, we were off to check out the health food aisle of Krogers.  There are no health food stores around  us, other than pill-pushing GNC.  I was delighted with Krogers.  One thing I was looking for was non-hydrogenated, nothing added peanut butter.  They have a machine so you can grind your own - the price is good that way, and you know exactly what is in there.  I also found several other things I was looking for - cold pressed, unrefined peanut oil (high oleic acid) for example; plain (not vanilla) but plain yogurt in small size containers.  And I think my Brewer's yeast is going to be replaced with the Nutritional Yeast I found, it actually tastes good (unlike Brewers' yeast).  I have been struggling to take some daily, and early in the morning it is hard to fool my taste buds. 

I do much better with the sliced and frozen Braunschweiger slices; just heat in the micro 1 1/2 minutes, wait for the toast to pop up, and make an open face sandwich.  Munch, munch.  The only thing I could NOT find was alfalfa sprouts - not surprisingly, the staff had no idea what they were.  When I said they were for sprouting I was referred to the gardening aisle.  (sigh)

I guess I'm going to have to order those from the internet.  All in all, Kroger's health food aisles are better than most.    

Tomorrow is another run-around day (I'm getting tired already) ending with a sleep test (my third).  Hopefully they will get the info they need, and I can order a new CPAP.  Maybe I'll get lucky and Social Security will pay for the entire cost.  Before SS my co-pay was over $1200 for my old one...supposedly that was only 20% of the cost, but I find it hard to believe when I was others on line for a total cost less than my co pay.  Doggone insurance vultures!  Keeping my fingers crossed.

We have a 'new' dog, a Chihuahua-terrier mix.  He is cute, a brindle with white on his chest and both back feet.  He is a sweet, but frightened pup; ours is the 6th place he's been in 2 years,  his prior owners kept moving and could not take him along.  His next stop was a shelter; one that is so over crowded it puts them down after a week.  Right now he is napping between my knees on the recliner. He gets along well with our other dogs, cats, and even the parrot, though she puzzles him a great deal.  (Especially her talking.)  We think he'll fit in fine.  One of our oldest dogs has stopped eating, so off to the vet we will go tomorrow.  She still drinks and pees, so we hope it is temporary.  We fed her baby food tonight, she took some of that.  Hopefully the vet will have good news and it is something curable.  We are a little afraid she will be leaving us soon.  Mary would be terribly upset - that was her first Chihuahua and has slept beside her for over 10 years, and I would miss her serious but loving presence.  So we shall see what tomorrow brings.

• Like 2

Sleeping in most of the day today. I was up all night 'delivering puppies' online with a thousand plus of my closest friends.  :D

First time mom Reese was a natural. "We" had 16  babies born with 6 of them stillborn. It is a little bit easier when one is stillborn and you know there is no hope. They work with the puppy, let mom sniff it, give her another puppy to distract her and whisk it away in a towel. Sad but nice. We like to think of it as a little child in heaven who didn't have a puppy on earth finally has one in heaven.

The last one was born not breathing but had some muscle tone. They (Pam) worked on him for over 30 minutes and got him going. He latched on to momma and so far so good. Mom has had her Pit shot so it looks like she is finally finished. All things considered, this has been a very successful litter! Ten little hooligans to make someone's life better.

Carlene is still in the hospital with hopes to come home tomorrow. I'm sure she is very proud of her staff and volunteers. Not easy to give up control of your... everything. Especially when you are in your 80's.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, kappydell said:

well, we got out yesterday and picked up the hot tub we rewarded ourselves with from our income tax return.  It was not so hard to set up, either.  Now we are waiting for the water to warm up.  We set it up in the car port, figuring it will keep the UV light from affecting the plastic hot tub, since they seem to have a predilection for breaking after 2 years' sun exposure.  We shall see; but it was inexpensive enough that if it does not work we won't be too put off.  

Today, we were off to check out the health food aisle of Krogers.  There are no health food stores around  us, other than pill-pushing GNC.  I was delighted with Krogers.  One thing I was looking for was non-hydrogenated, nothing added peanut butter.  They have a machine so you can grind your own - the price is good that way, and you know exactly what is in there.  I also found several other things I was looking for - cold pressed, unrefined peanut oil (high oleic acid) for example; plain (not vanilla) but plain yogurt in small size containers.  And I think my Brewer's yeast is going to be replaced with the Nutritional Yeast I found, it actually tastes good (unlike Brewers' yeast).  I have been struggling to take some daily, and early in the morning it is hard to fool my taste buds. 

I do much better with the sliced and frozen Braunschweiger slices; just heat in the micro 1 1/2 minutes, wait for the toast to pop up, and make an open face sandwich.  Munch, munch.  The only thing I could NOT find was alfalfa sprouts - not surprisingly, the staff had no idea what they were.  When I said they were for sprouting I was referred to the gardening aisle.  (sigh)

I guess I'm going to have to order those from the internet.  All in all, Kroger's health food aisles are better than most.    

Tomorrow is another run-around day (I'm getting tired already) ending with a sleep test (my third).  Hopefully they will get the info they need, and I can order a new CPAP.  Maybe I'll get lucky and Social Security will pay for the entire cost.  Before SS my co-pay was over $1200 for my old one...supposedly that was only 20% of the cost, but I find it hard to believe when I was others on line for a total cost less than my co pay.  Doggone insurance vultures!  Keeping my fingers crossed.

We have a 'new' dog, a Chihuahua-terrier mix.  He is cute, a brindle with white on his chest and both back feet.  He is a sweet, but frightened pup; ours is the 6th place he's been in 2 years,  his prior owners kept moving and could not take him along.  His next stop was a shelter; one that is so over crowded it puts them down after a week.  Right now he is napping between my knees on the recliner. He gets along well with our other dogs, cats, and even the parrot, though she puzzles him a great deal.  (Especially her talking.)  We think he'll fit in fine.  One of our oldest dogs has stopped eating, so off to the vet we will go tomorrow.  She still drinks and pees, so we hope it is temporary.  We fed her baby food tonight, she took some of that.  Hopefully the vet will have good news and it is something curable.  We are a little afraid she will be leaving us soon.  Mary would be terribly upset - that was her first Chihuahua and has slept beside her for over 10 years, and I would miss her serious but loving presence.  So we shall see what tomorrow brings.

I don't know if it will help but I have been cooking macaroni in chicken broth and adding little bits of cooked chicken for our older dog who had lost interest in her food.  So far, so good.  I hope you have a good outcome at the vet tomorrow!  And I'm happy you have a new little friend also!

Stayed inside today.  Cold and rainy and then about 4 started turning to ice mix.  Seems to have stopped for the time being.  When I saw the ice warning I called hubby (he was working on the bathroom remodel) and told him to tuck things away and scoot his self on back here.  His truck was parked outside and he'd be scraping ice and then driving on slick roads.  He said I called just in time because when he went out the windows already had ice "dots" on them.  Sure thought old man winter was about done...but nope...not yet!  Farmers Almanac a little off...LOL  Abby-girl and I snuggled for a little bit on the living room floor.  She took a small nap with her head in my lap and her paw over my legs.  Such a big girl she is!

• Like 3

We kept a min-pin from going to the pound, but Jack is jealous.  He growls at the little guy.  On the other hand, Dodger (Shep-malnois) loves to play with the new dog.  There is such a disparity in sizes it is funny to watch.  Trying to figure out if Jack will ease up or not.  He has calmed down with age, now this.  I'm hoping he just regressed due to a new dog in the mix.  So far we keep them apart when unsupervised, until they get used to each other (we hope).   Since Dodger played with him so nicely tonight, we are hoping Jack will come around too.  

We took Jack to swim at the lake tonight.  He enjoyed having a special outing with his humans, all by himself.  He is now (relatively) white again, after rinsing off all the red clay dust he was wearing.  He was very well behaved.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4