MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Well.  Our sick Chihuahua went to the vet on Monday.  We were afraid she would not come home again.  She was very sick, but the vet and her fighting spirit pulled her through.  Saw her again today and she looked nearly normal.  The vet said said she had pancreatitis, as well as being diabetic.  They put her on IVs and have kept her in the hospital and so far she has bounced back nicely.  The vet is encouraging that she will come home soon.  Of course, she is diabetic and will have to get insulin the rest of her life, but she is worth the extra effort.  The other Chihuahua is moping around. looking for her.  

Our new addition looks to be not a Chihuahua-terrier mix but a min-pin instead.  He is the color they call 'red stag' - a red color overlaid with black hairs.  He is starting to find his place in the pack.  Watching him play with our shep-mal is quite interesting - Dodger pretends to be afraid of him and they both leap about in circles, tails wagging, and chasing each other around.  

My sleep test went well, it turns out my new cpap will need a higher setting.  I picked my internest partly because one of her specialities is sleep disorders, so I am confident she will help me get my replacement cpap in a timely manner.  She has also ordered several tests for me that will get done in early march - gall bladder and bone desity for two.   I'm starting to feel like a 'frequent flyer'....LOL.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3

Well, after preparing a Thanksgiving dinner for our friends, they decided they couldn't get away, again.  This is the second time it has happened.  Guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.  Her dh has to work Monday and didn't know until today.  It might be better if we don't make plans in the future.  She is the one who suggested them coming down.  What are you gonna do?!  Eat lots of turkey and fixings!  That's one thing.  And I definitely will be going to that class at the Church Sunday!  And eBay tomorrow!

• Confused 1

Kappy,

I've had a CPAP for several years now. My children are EXTREMELY happy that I got one -- THEY can finally SLEEP when they come for a visit! (I'm sure you know what I mean. :)  )

At my request, I did a new sleep test about a year ago. The result are a higher setting, from 10 to 13.

I see the pulmonologist again in Sept. Have to see him once/year to keep my Rx up-to-date so my insurance will continue to cover the cost of supplies (hoses, cushions, air filters).

Here are some "selfies" from the latest sleep test. It's sooooooooooooo uncomfortable and unnatural to "sleep" with all of this stuff taped and glued to you. I finally managed to get enough sleep for them to be able to recalibrate my machine. :mornincoffee: :cloud9: :sleep1:

:thumbs:

CPAP 1 _5-18-16.jpg

CPAP 2 _5-18-16.jpg

CPAP 3 _5-18-16.jpg

CPAP 4 _5-18-16.jpg

• Like 1

That does look uncomfortable, Midnightmom!  I was thinking recently maybe dh needs a sleep study done.  He wakes me up a lot!

Taking it easy today since our company cancelled.  Maybe list some eBay and run to the local groc. store for milk.

I had my sleep test done a few weeks ago. Should get the APAP on Wednesday.

DS2 and DDIL came over today and hauled stuff into the PODS unit.  Now DS1 and I have room to pack a lot more boxes.  But right now we've both basically collapsed.  The PODS is being taken to Rosegard on Monday morning, so we have all day tomorrow to finish filling it up.

Ambergris...moving is SUCH lot of work!!!  :hug3:

Too bad your friends were a no-show for your feast, Miki.  :feedme:

Wellllll....my dad has spent part of the past 3 days in hospital.....and my mom stayed with him.  Neither was getting sleep.  Due to a simple but exhausting procedure, my dad got very weakened and couldn't walk/stand yesterday.  :o   :unsure:   So OF COURSE instead of walking/standing him with O.T. , they decide he needs 8-10 days in rehab hospital and began trying to talk Medicare into that.   

DH is the only one of us driving a this point [tho my dad usually does around his small village].  And he was taken to a hospital way over to 'city'.  A LONG way from where either of us lives. :gaah: 

Sooooo I stayed home to handle animals, etc. here.  That includes cat who is rehabbing from whatever almost killed her.  I have to mix/chop up a nutritious fishy mixture for her every few hours.  Add in a side of plain yogurt.  She's eating lots more now and is doing better and better. 

DH has transported my mom down there.....making sure she [and himself] eat, etc.  He also had to work last nite but called in to come later.  He's also done a tax client on Thurs [when this all started] and on Fri morning.  :faint3:  As the most able of the 4 of us  [tho he's ALSO still slowed down from recent major illness last summer] ....DH is runnning around with his hair on fire! 

I've had to take over both AM and PM feeding --- and loading up this and prepping that.  Things he usually takes care of.  "Hey!  What are you putting in Old Horse's food dish at nite?"  Ya find out what you don't know....or improvise.  :shrug:

THEN .....probably Medicare approval delay....my dad wasn't transferred to the rehab yesterday.  He lay there another day.  And DH, instead of running back over to city hospital late last nite after work, plan changed.  Both my folks slept [not much and not well] at the hospital again....and DH came home to sleep. 

THEN....I get a call this morning at 7:30 AM  [I'm not sleeping well either so that was 2.5 hrs of sleep]   I answered WAY before I'm awake.  :imoksmiley:   It's my dad and he's decided he's NOT going to rehab.  He neeeeeds to sleep in his own bed and DH had offered to assist them if that's what he chose.  He was beating out the doctor's call to talk to us.  Well, actually DH has a lot of qualifications and experience with nursing assistant [way back in the day] so he CAN do that.  By the time the doc called us, DH was awake enough to ask a few questions and agree to go down and pick up those two old people from that hospital. 

BOY, were they glad to see him and get outta there!  See, my dad hadn't been given any opportunity to get out of bed.  And if you've gone thru a procedure that drains you....even if it isn't all that serious....and you're nearly 90 yrs old  ....WHAT DO THEY THINK IS GOING TO HAPPEN?  It is very scary how FAST an older person can go downhill.  This is a man who runs a snow blower on the driveway, push-shovels their big deck clear of snow, does his own business/taxes/shopping/laundry/etc.  After 3 days, they are worn out, exhausted elves who now need a temporary caretaker.  :tapfoot: 

Fortunately, DH can be that caretaker.  He called off his work for Monday.  They know he's in a family crisis and it's fine.  But just in the hours they've been home today, both my folks have slept some and eaten and ....simply BEEN HOME!  That's therapeutic.  I sent in my [never used it yet] walker and it's perfect for where my dad is functioning right now.  Once he's back to occasional cane use like me, DH will come home.  My dad's got some issues from the original reason for going in.....and DH is assisting with that too.  The hospital wasn't completely wrong.....the two of them couldn't have dealt with all of this.  But with DH....everyone is VERY HAPPY.  :band:     This is WAY EASIER on DH than trying to keep them alive way over in the 'city'.  :thumbs: 

My folks will cover the loss of income from his work and .....probably a lot more.  They're always looking for ways to help us out, knowing we've both struggled with disability.  So all is well.  Thanking God for directing how this ultimately resolved.  [ LOL  and this is saving Medicare a BOATLOAD OF $$$]  A bit rough on DH and me but if it doesn't go on too long, it's fine.  My dad is already "very mobile" with the walker, according to DH.  And they've got him temporarily in the main level bedroom.  [their 3 story house is one of the issues, of course.  And a big part of why they've tried and tried to move!]

My brother was getting ready to fly out and help if it got too much but I think we're gonna be just fine.  If me and the critters hold up til DH can come home.  :rolleyes:  Subzero nites and COLD :frozen:days and PIERCING WIND......more feed/hay needed; smashing ice out of water buckets; etc:0327:  So far, I've got this with God and Koa watching out for me.  Warmer weather would be EASIER!  :pray:

MtRider  .....life gets...interesting...in a big hurry sometimes!  :amen:

• Like 1

I'm so glad your dad and your cat, also are doing better, Mt. Rider!  But your poor DH, yikes!  I hope he can get some sleep in soon also!

All I did today was write a couple of drafts for eBay, go to the Post Office and to buy milk.  I did take time to read for awhile!

Well, the response to an active shooter class is not at the Church and is fairly far away as well as there is a $25 fee I did not know about. So it's out. This morning, I was told that I could be used even if I did not go to the class so I guess I will find out next week. Didn't sleep well last night so glad to stay home the rest of the day anyway. Have to do some eBay photos and want to make some hot bacon dressing for a wedge salad tonight along with turkey leftovers.

I hope you all have a nice restful day!

• Like 1

Too bad, Miki.  My good friend here was on their church's safety team for years.  Led it for several years and recently she's found her own replacement.  We're all getting older and tho she's still participating, she didn't need to lead anymore.  It's an issue many folks REALLLY WANT TO ignore....it couldn't happen in our safe little or big church.  But it IS happening in churches of all sizes and in cities or rural areas.  No....our houses of worship are not even respected as they used to be......let alone safe from the warped views and unstable folks.  :(  Glad your church is addressing the issue.

Our REHAB team is doing well.  My dad is already using the cane part of the time [carefully on stairs]  and sometimes the walker.  DH thinks he'll stay tomorrow but be home tomorrow nite.  As the only driver, he needs to take my mom shopping and to the Post Office....etc.  To set them up for the next couple days.  He works on Wed so he can stop by and do another P.O. run with them.  But it's all going very well.  :cheer:  :amen:

I'm hanging in there with brat animals.  Had an ISSUE with DRAMA QUEEN horse tonite...but I won.  I am KING.  Hmph.  Horses!  Sometimes you have to speak their non-verbal 'language' loudly and remain the leader.  As in:  You may outweigh me but I OUTRANK YOU!  Same with dogs. 

Poor Koa was so distraught last nite.  She knew DH was MISSING!  She didn't want to go to bed.  I let her lay in living room for couple hours ....till she gave up and went to her bed.  I made sure she heard him today on speaker phone.  She curled up in her cute "somebody pet me" position when she heard his voice.  LOL  Nothin' spoiled about that one, huh?  :rolleyes:  I think she's more settled now.  She likes her world to be predictable. 

I slammed my finger badly with a hammer on the first nite of this siege.  Thankfully the left hand.  It's a bother and sometimes a shriek of pain if I whack it wrong.  But doing ok.  I was just trying to tack the aluminum weather stripping back up on garage door.  OWWWWW!  I think folks in Connecticut could hear me scream when I did that one.  Note to self:  Go up stairs and get the needle-nose pliers to hold the stinkin' little nail next time!!!!

MtRider  ....supposed to warm up a bit for a few days....  :amen:  

• Like 2

Midnightmom  it was the same for my test!  I remember starting to giggle as I changed into my jammies, because when I closed the sleep room door there were wires & such hanging on the back.  Coupled with the obvious camera & microphone on the wall (next to the TV) I distinctly recall thinking it looked more like a B & D chamber than a bedroom!  LOL.  The tech was tickled to death because I have no hair yet after chemo.  That worked to our advantage.  It was a loooooong night trying to sleep, I felt like I slept maybe 5 minutes around dawn, but the tech said I technically did sleep, but as soon as I started to sleep my breathing stopped (I could have told her that, I felt like I was strangling all night long!)  But I did get enough for the test.  Next night we did one with a CPAP (I think they called it 'titration'?) and she found my CPAP was not set high enough for deep sleep, so I guess it was worth while.  It sure was a pain, though.  Glad that's over.  It makes the 8 hour fast before my gall bladder test a snap!

• Like 3

The class was interesting and thought provoking!  I tend to stay calm so that's a plus!

I will make the dressing I didn't make yesterday and then DH has doc appt. this afternoon.  Making him a doc appt. at a cardiologist for as soon as possible because of his shortness of breath.

On 2/25/2018 at 8:54 PM, Mt_Rider said:

I slammed my finger badly with a hammer on the first nite of this siege.  Thankfully the left hand.  It's a bother and sometimes a shriek of pain if I whack it wrong.  But doing ok.  I was just trying to tack the aluminum weather stripping back up on garage door.  OWWWWW!  I think folks in Connecticut could hear me scream when I did that one.  Note to self:  Go up stairs and get the needle-nose pliers to hold the stinkin' little nail next time!!!!

Try one of these!

nailholder.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spring has sprung around here but it is way too early.  All the dogwoods and tulips are out in bloom since it has been warm, but we still have a few weeks until the last frost date. We have had a few inches of rain the past week too.  Hopefully the sun returns tomorrow.

I've been on cpap for 20 years.  I need a new machine but can't afford another sleep study. They won't prescribe you a new one if you haven't had a sleep study in the past 5 years.

Our dog had surgery too. Boy they can get expensive.  She had a hematoma on her ear but is doing fine now. She is getting pretty old but this is her first illness/surgery. We found out that she also has allergies and they prescribed something I can't afford.  I have been giving her OTC prednisone instead and she is doing great on it.

Have a great day all!

Sorry to hear your doggy had to have surgery. Vet bills cost as much as human medical bills. Except they get much better care. My dog had allergies too and the vet always prescribed prednisone. If all else fails you might try OTC Benadryl. The dosage chart is listed in the link below. If you can't open it let me know and I'll copy/paste it.

http://www.anydogrescue.org/benadryl-for-dogs/

• Like 2

A trip to town about 10 miles away today.  Stopped at the local nursing home and chatted with a few ladies.  I went there with the thought to read from my Bible if anyone wanted me to since older eyes don't see as well sometimes, but ended up just getting to know a few folks.  Next time maybe, just doing it as something to volunteer a little time.  Made one payment at a store, went to the bank, did monthly Walmart thing and came home.  Mostly relaxing the rest of the day except for normal dog and goat chores.  DH has someone coming over tomorrow to mow and then spray the yard for weeds.  I won't be home, helping a friend out near where we lived before we got the house in town.  I hope to get some lick tubs from my brother in law in the morning for gardening!  Another reason to go back (out there)!  And the nursery I get plants from is there too!

Sure thing Mt. Rider. I have it printed out too.

Micki, that is so kind and thoughtful of you!  :wub:

We had almost 60 degree temps here most of the week. Yeah spring is springing! Then today I woke up to about 5 inches of snow. What the heck. I went back to bed and slept for hours. Guess I was protesting. My neck is hurting so bad lately. Weather changes?

So....when I sleep in pain I dream vividly. I dreamed about 'my' man. Keith Richards...don't judge me. I know, I know. I have a lot of dreams with him in them. This time I was at one of his concerts and was backstage waiting for him to take me home. I wanted to get a little "chummy-chummy"  hee-hee and he said something that made me laugh; really laugh. I woke myself up laughing. That was so strange. Ever done that?

He said, get this, he said,  "You're too young for me."  Crimony, I'm 65 (will be 66 in 94 days). I'm not too young for anyone! Pfffft. I should have gone home with Mick.

• Like 1

Today we returned early from a road trip (3 days).  We went to Alabama to celebrate a friend's 80th birthday.  M had not seen her children for 20 plus years, now everyone is all grown up  and have children of their own - grandchildren, even.  Wow, talk about feeling old!  Then bad news.  Our 12 year old Chihuahua had been ailing - very sick, with pancreatitis, and a whole host of ailments.  She had been 3 days in the animal hospital being treated, and had  rebounded - so we took her along on the trip with the other dogs.  The vet said she would start eating in a couple days, and meanwhile we kept hand feeding her, even with a syringe and baby food, and medicating her as per vets' directions.  She grew weaker and weaker and died in our arms in the hotel room.  It was very sad, and we mourn her loss, and her cheerful presence; but we suspect that there was too much damage to her organs to survive, and that she had rebounded and appeared to get better so she could get sprung from the hospital which she hated, and end her time with her loving family around her.  Oh how we will miss little  Cindi and her antics.  Her closest doggie friend, another Chihuahua (Snickers) is visibly mourning her, as are the other animals, only a little less so.  We will see you again, Cindi, for now go play with Missy and Roxie....it was a privilege to know you.

We picked up a min-pin before Cindi passed on...he had a hard life, is missing several toes, has a bad talk dock, and chew marks on his ears.  His owner said if she could not find a taker (on Craigs' list....shudder....no vetting....) he would go to the pound.  The pound here gives them a week, then...well...you know.  We took him, of course.  He is starting to relax and adjust to our rambunctious household - loves the cats, adores the Shepinois, is intimidated by Jack's in-your-face attitudes, and sleeps between my feet at night.  He has decided to protect me while I sleep....all 8 pounds of him.  Such a cute li'l guy - he is the color they call 'red stag' with big brown eyes and looong legs.  Watching him play with the Shepinois is hilarious, especially when Dodger scrunches down to look him in the eye, and he rears up on his hind legs to look bigger.  What a hoot!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4