MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

On 3/28/2018 at 12:32 PM, Midnightmom said:

Hey CG. I've been doing a ketogenic diet since Dec 2016. Have lost 125+ pounds! Here's a link to my keto page. :welcome: Maybe there is something there that will help or inspire you. You can also ask me any questions you may have about the keto WOE. (Way of Eating). For example, I can give you links to recipes or support boards.    :thumbs: 

I am also adding a link to my Pinterest--lots of keto recipes there. :shopping: :cook:  :feedme:

https://www.facebook.com/ketobetic/

https://www.pinterest.com/clayborn0660/lchf/

I have a bazillion resources, but as with most things, it's a matter of my brain cooperating enough for me to keep with it.  10 days in this time (I've done it several times, including for several months last summer, but tend to have issues about 3 weeks in).

Oh, and these are about to come out of the oven: https://asweetlife.org/low-carb-gingerbread-blender-muffins/

Taking those, jalapeno poppers, and Zevia & vodka with me for drinking tonight instead of my usual margaritas or ciders.

Edited by TheCG
1 hour ago, Midnightmom said:

These look pretty yummy. I think when I make them I will sub in 1 cup of oat fiber for 1 cup of almond flour to cut down on the carb count. :D

They came out pretty tasty.  I didn't have any cocoa powder, I should fix that.  I tend not to use grains at all, as I have a known problem to enough of them that it's not something I want to experiment with.

Seriously, 120g sugar raises my blood sugar to 135.  A small bowl of real oatmeal (ie, not instant) raises it to 160.  My system is weeeeeird.

Finally "heeled in" this week's nursery shipment, meaning put each item into a container of dirt.  The containers are all temporary, and really undersized.  Need to get some barrels delivered and cut, and a cubic yard of mushroom compost to fill them. 

Even with help and a rocking chair, I'm penguin-walking at this point.

We started our vertical garden on the shed today and got about half done.  We even got some silicone caulk to put on the screw-ins just in case we compromised the water tightness of the shed.  Methinks it will look nice when we finish it up tomorrow. 

Got my new APAP (like the CPAP except it changes air pressure when I inhale or exhale) and the mask that was ordered covers the mouth as well.  I slept with it the first time and It will take a little getting used to, but I did sleep fairly well even with air being blown into my mouth.  The tech told me that the older CPAPs I have are almost indestructible so I am considering taking one in to my doc to see if I can donate it for someone else to use, if they cant afford one.  She runs the sleep clinic, so  she should be able to tell me if that would be helpful or a waste of time.  I cant imagine how bad it would be for someone to need one and not be able to get one for financial reasons, but now days many folks are touchy about second hand stuff.  All I can do is offer, I guess.

Ambergris, walkin' is walkin' at this point in our lives.  I walk all bent over like Groucho Marx and I cant do it for long distances, but walk I do especially when it comes to getting in the garden!  We might be slow, we might have to do things differently but we DO get it done, no?  My nursery shipment is due next week - raspberries, and five fruit trees; the blueberries, grapes and strawberries are already in.  Thank goodness for the hot tub, though, LOL.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1

You ladies are sure ambitious down there in the SOUTH where winter had gone......  :lois:

We still have snow on the north-facing slopes but most of our recent and WELCOME moisture has melted.  Planting season is only a dream at this point.  :rolleyes: 

MtRider  :thumbs:  :thumbs: 

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, TheCG said:

MM!  Lookey, zero-carb flour!

Ewww!  LOL

Trying to take it easy today after Church. 

I have two small blueberry bushes that I recently planted and then yesterday I found a huge (10-15 ft.) blueberry bush/tree way in the back of our property and it is loaded!  It will be blueberry everything this year!

My jeep has a dead battery so we are getting it replaced and the oil changed at the same time.  Tomorrow, I hope and we go to Walmart to get the oil and filters and maybe do my shopping.

When I get home, it will be laundry and grill some chicken that is marinating now.

• Like 1

Blueberry nirvana!  I did not much care for them until I tried some REAL and unsweetened fresh ones.  It seems that all the blueberries I had tasted in foods before that, had been so processed/sugared and even artificial (fake blueberry muffins for pity's sake) that I had rejected their flavor altogether.  How I hate the fake fruit flavored so-called foods so abundant in the grocery stores today.  I read with amusement about the person who got some concord grapes in an organic farm subscription box and discovered that they tasted like (gasp) grapes!  They had always assumed purple grape was a man made flavor for Koolade or Jello,, without no connection to genuine grapes.  After all, none of the grapes they bought in the store tasted like that.  Or the child who told his Grandma "Hey!  Somebody put bones in my chicken drumstick!" having only had nuggets and pre-boned and/or reformulated chicken all his life.  How sad.

And THAT is why we put in all the hard work to make and care for as much of our own personal food chain as possible.  And yes, we planted blueberry bushes....three of them, as well as genuine (seedy, even!) grapes!   Now I have to figure out where we packed the canner!!!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, TheCG said:

MM!  Lookey, zero-carb flour!

You ALMOST had me! :24:  :lol::laughkick: 

ETA: I've been trying to post a link to some FB groups I'm on, but have not been able to write the code that would change the text to a hyperlink. :/ If that is Zucks fault, I "hate" him!!! (It's hard to post an April Fool's joke if it is revealed BEFORE you land on the page!!!) :pc_coffee: :shrug: :( :wacko: :mad::gaah::duck1:

Edited by Midnightmom
On 3/26/2018 at 7:37 AM, Vic303 said:

WE2, if the dog is to be an outside dog, then a Ridgeback is NOT a good choice.  They do not do well as strictly outside dogs.

thanks for the info...

After a very nice weekend, it's snowing again and 28 degrees. Where'd those 50's go?! I hear the Canadian geese are back. You can't miss them because they have such a loud honk. No mistaking them when they land on the roof either.

I spent the day looking on a bank website to see what all they want to begin the mortgage process. Luckily, I think I have it all upstairs. I'll get it together tomorrow. My income and age might be an issue? We'll see I guess. I just hope some more houses come on the market soon. It has been very slim pickins'.  I check about everyday and some are listed as under 'contingency' as soon as they go online.

I'M going over this coming Friday and headed straight to the bank. Being out of state might be an issue too even though I'll be using son's address.

14 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

You ALMOST had me! :24:  :lol::laughkick: 

ETA: I've been trying to post a link to some FB groups I'm on, but have not been able to write the code that would change the text to a hyperlink. :/ If that is Zucks fault, I "hate" him!!! (It's hard to post an April Fool's joke if it is revealed BEFORE you land on the page!!!) :pc_coffee: :shrug: :( :wacko: :mad::gaah::duck1:

Facebook doesn't like links without either a preview or the hyperlink, sadly.  Or fortunately.  Depending on your friends.

• Haha 1

I know what you mean, Jeepers.  Houses have been selling in this area before they ever hit the market.  Ever since the college drove up our population base rather sharply.  :(  Drives up the prices and price of rentals as well.  That's bad for DH and I renting but will be good for my folks if/when theiir house sells.  You might need to get a realitor or you can't get the information fast enough.  :shrug:   Moving...it ain't fun.  :hug3:

I want to move somewhere with orchard/wild fruit-food growing.  :happy0203:

MtRider ....and somewhere there is more O2 available.  :rolleyes:  Us tough old Mt. folks are aging fast up here! 

Had to do shopping at Walmart today and also bought the battery for my car and oil for oil change plus seems like we stopped 50 other places.  Home now and doing laundry and par boiling chicken to grill this afternoon.  Tomorrow is DH's stress test, etc. so I am trying to get things done to make it easier on me tomorrow evening.

We got the check back from the life insurance application as it has been over 60 days and VA still has not sent his records.  Hopefully soon!

I know Mt. Rider. It's a collage town where I'll be moving. A small one but still....  Son and DIL are good friends with a realtor. If I don't see things pick up, I'll talk to her! I really don't like the town; it's snooty,  but that's where my family is so that's where I need to be. Not easy moving to another state by yourself.

Plus, they have those $%^& round abouts at both ends of town.  I hate those things.  I'm never quite sure how to get off of them. And taking a new driving exam for a new state scares me. I can't remember Q & A anymore. I didn't know that you can turn left on red light from a one way street onto another one way street in Indiana. That town is full of one way streets. Crimony. 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I know Mt. Rider. It's a collage town where I'll be moving. A small one but still....  Son and DIL are good friends with a realtor. If I don't see things pick up, I'll talk to her! I really don't like the town; it's snooty,  but that's where my family is so that's where I need to be. Not easy moving to another state by yourself.

Plus, they have those $%^& round abouts at both ends of town.  I hate those things.  I'm never quite sure how to get off of them. And taking a new driving exam for a new state scares me. I can't remember Q & A anymore. I didn't know that you can turn left on red light from a one way street onto another one way street in Indiana. That town is full of one way streets. Crimony. 

You're moving?  Where have I been...didn't know!  Yep, those round about's are tricky.  Never quite sure just "who" has the right-a-way!  Have your Realtor where you live do a referral to a Realtor where you're moving to....common practice.

Good Morning,

I’ve been sanding the boards we got, roughly, to take out the blemishes and ink ID marks, from the factory cut. I wish I had noticed, one of the boards must have been a return. It has 2 holes drilled in it, dead center and 2 1/2 feet in from the ends. :tapfoot:  I guess that board will have to be the head board. Grumble......  The rest of the boards have a good side and edge, so hopefully the other major imperfections won’t show. The first sanding is done on all the boards for the frame. Now to work the design, calculate the lengths, double check the calculations, mark and cut.  Make sure all parts fit correctly, then, back to sanding with a finer grain, a few times, stain, and lacquer, to finally be ready to put it together. 

Planted a bunch of non-GMO potatoes, garlic, and more carrots. The tomatoes and jalapeños are finally starting to fruit. We harvested some of the fava beans and DH really liked them. Hopefully we can get enough seeds out of what is left, to save for planting next year. They and the zucchini are already showing signs of heat stroke, because we’ve been in the 90’s already this year. 

DH wanted lasagna yesterday, the store wanted $18.99 for a package. I bought cottage cheese instead, and made it myself, as lasagna roll ups. Spread the fillings on a noodle, roll it up, place it in the pan end side down. I made six, but 2 filled us up, the other 2 will be vacuum sealed for a prepped meal for him.  

Time to get back at my ToDo list. Accounting reports, etc. 

Hope everyone is having a fantastic day. 

• Like 3

My younger son bought a house.  Not the one right near me that he was looking at--it got taken off the market and probably condemned.  The one he got is on the other side of town.  The house had been empty for a day when he first went through it, and a month when he bought it.  He discovered fleas.  We're talking "hey, when did my pants turn black?" fleas. :24:

Edited by Ambergris
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Today we played lumber jack.  Felled a 3 ft diameter tree (sweet gum, don't like stepping on those prickly balls) and it was cantankerous.  It would not fall where it was notched, then it fell into another tree and got hung up.  FINALLY got it down, but by then we were both wringing wet (it was 80 degrees this afternoon) so it will not be cut up until the rains come and go.  Our friend that does the crafting has asked for parts of trees as we fell them, and this one is big enough that I will save a "cookie" of the trunk (maybe two) to make some cutting boards.  Sweet gum is pretty wood, but the grain is twisty, so small projects work better, unless you can weight the lumber down as it dries to get it reasonably straight (that and cut it a little large and plane it down after it dries...).  

The hillbilly archaeology dept finally got an answer as to what the artifact was in the front yard....its an old, obsolete water connection from a prior water company.  The water serviceman came to read the meter and knew what it was.  Apparently the old water company had old equipment and water quality was bad, so they were bought out from the current water utility.  AAAAND I found some new lawn plants while we were tree cutting....wild onions are blooming; so is the blue-eyed grass, and even a couple of bashful violets.  I think spring is finally here!!!

I think I might have found some poke weed, but given its tendency to be toxic I'm not tasting anything until I find an experienced forager to confirm its identity.  

AAAAAmd something with pink blossoms is  blooming down by the creek - I have to get down there and look at the leaves and see what kind of wild fruit, if any, it is.....(it isn't redbud - the blooms are too big,  Maybe a crab apple?  Have to see the leaves to know for certain.)

The adventure continues!

• Like 2

Lasagna rolls....sounds great!  :cook:

Fleas....  Ugg!  We moved into a rental on Maui with fleas.  Bombed them and ...all gone.  :)  Didn't come back either.  Places without drastic winters sure do have more bugs. 

Kappy is like energizer bunny...post chemo and all!  :cheer:  Sounds like a wonderful treasure hunt you two are on!  :yum3:

Spent the day with my folks.... :0327:   :)    Came home in time to quickly put Cat-About-To-Puke into the bathroom.  Only floor without carpet.  Good Grief....I never saw her hurl so much!  Very thankful to clean up on linoleum!  :unsure:   She's been doing really well but SOMEthing didn't agree with her today.  Now she's eating again.  :shrug:

MtRider   ....we're all FOUR so incredibly TIRED!  But things improving...  :amen:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2