MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Old Man Winter Cometh

We again seem to have dodged a bullet with the bad weather.  No rain, no snow, no ice...just COLD!  They're saying snow this Sunday but it may or may not.  We'll see.  Brothers in the big city had a time of it this morning though.  Said ice-ice-ice and everyone hitting the ditch.  They both live in small towns and make the commute into the city for work.  So glad one made it and the other turned around and went home!

• Like 2

I like that idea, WE2.  We have layers of blankets + bubble wrap and sometimes pizza box cardboard.  Used to have 2 of those moving blankets but not sure I know if they're intact yet.  :scratchhead: 

Jeepers....you will have fun with all your new projects.....best of all, GRson!  :wub: 

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

• Like 2

Too many projects can be daunting. A list helps psychologically when you can check things off. It's also a good motivator. Supposedly.  :whistling:

I got the notice to step things up a little bit. Son said g-son may have to skip staying over at other g-ma's house on Thurs. nights because she is getting tired. I understsand. She is 71 I think. Plus she takes him to school 4 days a week. He is such a good kid. Just a normal 2 1/2 year old energetic BOY.  I'll have a bigger house and bigger yard so it will be easier for me. Plus I'm used to boys. And, ahem, this woman in his little life knows how to say "no". Hee-hee. I saw a time out chair that said, "I threw a fit so here I sit"  I would have got it but it was ugly. Not that MY grandson would ever need a time out mind you.  :24:   Oh yeah, we're gonna have fun.

Son didn't say anything to me but D-ex did. I hate when he does that. 1.He left me in this mess (along with son) and 2. It's really none of his business what I do. Ex for a reason. Pfft, I'm just cold and grumpy this morning. I'll warm up and have some coffee and then really get fired up.  :P 

• Like 4
On 2/27/2019 at 8:38 PM, The WE2's said:

We have those heavy duty "moving blankets" (from Harbor Freight) that we have hung up over all the windows at the homestead.  Since we don't live there light isn't an issue but warmth and low heat/cool bills is.  Every time we get a flyer from HF that let's us get something free with any purchase, we grab one of those blankets!

Forgot to mention that all the windows at the homestead have the clear bubble wrap on each pane, then a fleece blanket stapled over the whole window, then the moving blankets.  Dark as a cave without lights turned on, but holds the heat inside and keeps the summer heat outside. We keep the thermostat at 50 unless we're there working.  Then we turn it up to 60.

Cold and dreary, got a dusting of "grapple" and some snow.  So we stayed in again today.  Not taking any chances with hubby.  Tomorrow is supposed to warm up a bit and we must get out to pick up some "want to" foods...like chips! LOL  Also getting low on shelf stable milk so need to hit $Tree.

Got out most of the day to do some shopping and retrieve more supplies from the homestead since we've got another winter snow storm supposed to roll in sometime Saturday night and hang around through most of Sunday.  Will make a trip to Mennonite country tomorrow to pick up a couple more items I want to re-stock.  As mentioned before, we sheltered in place 15 days out of February's 28 days.  Now we're starting March :frozen: and it looks like we'll be hunkered down several days after the Saturday night "dump"...:gaah:

• Like 1

March comes in like a lion.......and I HOPE it will go out like a lamb and April/May will too. 

Sheeeeeesh....there are lows [low air pressure] all over the Doppler map!  :behindsofa: 

MtRider  ....also have snow predicted here in the 'Yukon' ....soon...again....and .....again   Yes,  :gaah:  

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Haha 1

Sounds cold. Hoping you all stay warm. 

AZ weather is being typical. The last few days we were in the low 70’s with clear skies. Today we have light cloud cover. Looking at the radar, another storm is moving our way. 

Jeeps, have you tried putting your car's jack under the garage door?  Once you get some of the weight up overhead, and a good angle to grasp, it should  go on up a whole lot easier.

• Thanks 1

Cold, dreary and windy today. Winter storm "advisory" for the area from 9pm to noon tomorrow.  So far I don't see anything on the radar maps for that time frame.  Perhaps we'll dodge another bullet?  That's just hunky-dory with us!

• Like 1

I never thought about that Ambergris. I have given some thought about what I'd do in case I was in a real emergency situation. If it was medical I'd call an ambulance and Uber it back home. That's what happened when I passed out at the rehab center over the *acupuncture debacle.

If it was a non medical emergency I'd *call the local fire department and see if they could send over a couple of guys to help out a poor old senior citizen woman. Yes, I'd play the *S card. Ahem...have you seen the muscles on those firemen? *Hubba-hubba. :icon19:

1. I probably spelled acu, accu, needles in my shoulder that made me pass out and throw up on myself and spend the night in the hospital wrong. Kindle spell check only works when I don't want it to. It usually doesn't correct words...it changes them to make me look stupid. 

2. I would call the NON 911 fire department number. Fire and police have those numbers listed in case you have a non emergency question. 

3. The "S" card stands for "Senior'. AKA helpless old fart. I can have 'the look' to go along with it if need be. Puppy dog eyes ain't got nothing on me. I can even quiver my lip on command. It's a gift. 

4. One of my cousins has four boys. Three of them are fire fighters. I was stunned at the last family reunion when I saw their arms. Huge! 

• Haha 4

"Jury" is still out on HOW MUCH Yukon weather is going to drop on us.  It's a done deal that we're gonna be :frozen:  Just looked out ...at 2AM....  Mebbe 3" but getting close to ZERO. 

MtRider  ...stay tuned....  :buttercup: 

• Like 2

Woke up this morning expecting snow. Nothing. I was thinking maybe it missed us. Nope. It just arrived a little later than expected. It’s been pretty light so far — not even 2 inches. Next, it is predicted that we’ll dip down near zero (F). I am really ready for spring. My bulbs are bravely poking leaf tops out of their mulch. They already looked a bit frost bitten. I hope this little bit of snow cover will help protect them from the coming deep freeze. I was looking at the calendar. 17 days. The equinox can’t get here soon enough! 😸

Of course last year we got some nasty frigid cold in April, so the weather could still be nasty even past the equinox. But boy oh boy I want that LIGHT!!! 

• Like 3

We had two snow days last week!  Here in the Portland, Oregon area it's rare this late in the season.  They're saying it might snow again this week but I'll believe it when I see it (then again I've been saying that all year).  Of course our snow days are what makes the rest of the country laugh at us - little bit of snow on the roads early, gone by noon...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We got between 2 and 3 inches sometime after midnight but it's drifted really bad across Abby-girl's back yard so she's up to her tush except "her corner" for the time being! :laughkick: The temp is really cold and tonight's supposed to get even colder, about 1 degrees.  Tomorrow's high is supposed to be a whopping 19!  Glad we got our shopping done and put away!

• Like 2

Well.....this was a lot less than it could have been.  Still....came in two bands  [watch out WE2's......more might be coming your way]  Unfortunately?  Or mebbe not?  Anyway W did come and plow a couple inches and then we got a bit more -- which covers the brown dirt that attracts melting when the sun comes back. 

DH, Koa and I drove over to play in the forest.  Wears her out right quick to flounder thru snow.  Tonite she bolted down the STEEP hill in the yard and did a face-plant!  She very nearly did a somersault!  I think she forgot the erosion control ditch was up there under deep snow.  :lol:   She recovered her feet and came bounding down like...."What?  You didn't see that!"   :laughkick:   

MtRider  ....using the new brooms and shovel!  But....not as much as it could have been.  :blink: 

• Haha 2

It isn't quite as cold as they said it would be here. The lows will be in the teens instead of single digits. I know it's all in my mind but 10 degrees sounds a lot warmer than 9 degrees. So far we only got a dusting of snow overnight. I heard the snow plow going through in the night and thought I'd wake up to a mess. They must have just been brining the streets. Not complaining though.

Son and DIl went out to check the house and get the mail. He was concerned that I would be upset because they found out the wind had shredded the canopy thing over the back deck. I was just glad it didn't fly away and damage someone else's property. That wind was horrible for two days. It was/is just canvass. I eventually wanted a pergola or something more sturdy anyway. Not quite this soon though $$$$. 

• Like 1

When we woke up the temp was -1 so it was truly a bundle up day for us.  As mentioned, we keep our thermostat at 60 and then layer up.  Today was a triple layer day :frozen: Insulated britches under sweat pants.  Danskin T, then insulated long sleeved top and then a sweat shirt.  Wool socks.  Tomorrow's supposed to be a bit warmer.

Yes, it was quite a laugh!  We had another cold day but nothing falling from the sky.  A bit of the snow did melt where it was thin and the sun hit it.  Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer and sunnier!

• Like 2