MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lose weight

zzelle

I love sugar, it doesn’t like me, at, all.  I cut most of it out of my diet a couple of years ago.  I still go for a piece of dark chocolate or a cookie once in a while, but, I can guarantee I will get extremely tired shortly afterwards and ache the next day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This topic on sugar brings back memories of my univ sports coach. We were told (threatened) before each event not to eat candy bars or other sweets. She didn't want to pick us up off the court floor half way through the game when our sugar level crashed. :0327:

My mom LOVES sugar and likes to include me in her pies, cakes, donuts, and giant muffins. She's an arthritic disaster and can hardly move her walker around her apt anymore (except to the refrig and TV). She's a living reminder that controlling my sugar may also help with controlling arthritis pain. At least that's what both of my chiropractor friends keep telling me. Sugar and arthritis have direct links. Gotta keep reminding me of that while walking by the dessert table at the church potlucks. :whistling:

• Like 5

I've been using flavored stevia drops in my coffee and have done a bit of low carb baking, but need to ramp it up with "fall" coming upon us (hey, it's only 92 for the high today!).

A local lady who does meal prep is doing a class on it in 2 weeks - I might spend the $$$ to go see if she has any brilliant ideas I should know about.

• Like 3

While I suspect the scale was taking one of its trips into wonky-land, it said I had crossed the fifty-pound line as of this morning.  50.1 lbs down since mid-December.  Went a little crazy eating today, as a friend is now done with his chemo and radiation therapy, and we had two different celebrations at work for it.  I actually feel more than a little sick from all that eating.

Come Monday, two friends and I are starting in on a new 30 days of the Whole 30.  One introduced me to it, and is an old hand.  One is going to be doing her first 30, and is most apprehensive.  We each have a good cookbook, Well Fed Week Nights, that shows how very do-able it all is.  WFWK is actually written for the Paleo diet, but the diets are so similar that the author just notes minor changes to make any given recipe suitable for Whole 30.  

• Like 2
On 9/4/2019 at 6:50 PM, Ambergris said:

Come Monday, two friends and I are starting in on a new 30 days of the Whole 30.  One introduced me to it, and is an old hand.  One is going to be doing her first 30, and is most apprehensive.  We each have a good cookbook, Well Fed Week Nights, that shows how very do-able it all is.  WFWK is actually written for the Paleo diet, but the diets are so similar that the author just notes minor changes to make any given recipe suitable for Whole 30.  

I have all of her books (the paper copies are at my mother's).  If you're an ebook person, put them on your list to watch.  Sometimes they'll be down to $1.99 or so.

• Thanks 1

hang in there, zzelle!  After surgery your metabolism slows down to practically zero for 6 months which is why you gained so much so quick.  I found that out by reading the "Woman Doctor's Diet for Women"  a few years ago.  It was written by a woman doc who had her own weight troubles and got mad at her male colleagues for not figuring out that women's metabolisms  are different from men's (hormones and all that).  Her diet worked extremely well for me, and she even had a "cheat list" for those times you were struggling.  You would start with #1 on the list and work your way down, minimizing the damages.  It was a modified high protein, reduced carb diet.  Good job avoiding the corn & potatoes, those are "trigger foods" for me (make me want to eat more & more - ugh).  Go, woman, Go!

My latest dietary "tweak" is to stop eating after dinner.  Water & zero cal liquids only.  Not easy, but the dogs help - they beg mercilessly when we eat, and we are trying to break them of that habit, so not eating late is one way to stop "arguing" with the puppy posse and watch TV in peace, LOL.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2

Zzelle Don give. I was about in tears Wednesday at the doctor. She knows I struggle and have going to a dietitian. She took pity on me when I told her I was even more discouraged than ever. I told her I was d o an to 1400 calories and starving but the weight was not coming off. She said she didn't want to step on the dieticians toes, I said please do. That is when she told me to throw out everything concerning dieting that I knew. She told me to eat a lot of green vegetables. No more that 20 grams of carbs per meal and no more than 21 grams of fat a day. Lean meats no more than 4 grams of fat per serving. No starches. She said don't worry about calories or protein if you eat a large salad and 4 oz of lean protein you won't be hungry. Snacks should be raw veggies like cucumbers, tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli etc.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, mommato3boys said:

I told her I was d o an to 1400 calories and starving but the weight was not coming off. She said she didn't want to step on the dieticians toes, I said please do. That is when she told me to throw out everything concerning dieting that I knew. She told me to eat a lot of green vegetables. No more that 20 grams of carbs per meal and no more than 21 grams of fat a day. Lean meats no more than 4 grams of fat per serving. No starches. She said don't worry about calories or protein if you eat a large salad and 4 oz of lean protein you won't be hungry. Snacks should be raw veggies like cucumbers, tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli etc.

I seriously detest the "calories in, calories out" model.  People spout off about the laws of thermodynamics, but they forget one key phrase: "In a closed system".  I don't know about you, but my system interacts with the environment and is not a closed system.  It sounds like she might have better ideas.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

We paid $300 for 28 meals prepped and ready to go.  The ones she made for lunches have tortillas and fruit in them, but all the dinner ones are pretty low carb.  However...she cooks with very little oil or salt, so I’m having to literally add those to the meals.  There’s too many veggies in each of them, and when we asked her to leave out the cucumbers in half, there’s no way to tell which ones she left them out of.  I think we’re using them for ideas and working on making on our for next time...